Author Topic: gamecube games shooting up in price or is it just me?  (Read 3624 times)

dreama1

gamecube games shooting up in price or is it just me?
« on: October 02, 2014, 12:45:03 pm »
gamecube games shooting up in price or is it just me?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: gamecube games shooting up in price or is it just me?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 12:56:36 pm »
Better finish off my GameCube wishlist, then. I only have 2 left: WWE WrestleMania XIX, and Soul Calibur II (I prefer my multiplatform games on PS2 and Xbox, barring Soul Calibur II since Link is playable).

dreama1

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 01:22:35 pm »
Better finish off my GameCube wishlist, then. I only have 2 left: WWE WrestleMania XIX, and Soul Calibur II (I prefer my multiplatform games on PS2 and Xbox, barring Soul Calibur II since Link is playable).
Why are the games so expensive? It was barely 1 generation ago. I brought skies of arcadia for 40 dollars last year, and it's on bid now for 70 dollars.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 01:48:58 pm »
Game collecting is hot.  Everything is going up.  NES stuff showed a little bit of a dip a month or so ago, but I'm sure it'll keep going up just as I'm dead set on finishing my set.

dreama1

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 02:14:22 pm »
Game collecting is hot.  Everything is going up.  NES stuff showed a little bit of a dip a month or so ago, but I'm sure it'll keep going up just as I'm dead set on finishing my set.
What are the last NES games you are after? I'm guessing all the cheap ones are out of the way.

karyann

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 02:23:15 pm »
Why are the games so expensive? It was barely 1 generation ago. I brought skies of arcadia for 40 dollars last year, and it's on bid now for 70 dollars.

2 generations ago, actually.

Game collecting is hot.  Everything is going up.
And that's the most probable reason  :-\

dreama1

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 02:30:33 pm »

2 generations ago, actually.

Game collecting is hot.  Everything is going up.
And that's the most probable reason  :-\
If you count from the start of that generation yes. But the last game came out in 2007.

Limeface

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 02:55:29 pm »
It's the same thing with previous generations going up in price a few years ago. Those kids that played Gamecube after school are now in their 20s and probably have a little bit of disposable income. They want to experience the games that are positively associated with memories. We'll probably see PS2 and Xbox go up a bit too. Now that PS3 and 360 games are popping up in thrift stores, older stuff is going up, again...
Plus a few weeks ago Gamestop starting selling (and quickly sold out of) Gamecube consoles again. Or it could be that since Nintendo is rereleasing the Gamecubr controller with Smash Bros next month, interest in Gamecubr has sparked again.
Or I could be completly off. Maybe people just want to play with tiny discs again.  :P

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 02:56:56 pm »
I think it's like the dreamcast a couple years ago... "it's sooooooooo underrated, everything on it is rare" Im just glad I bought my fire emblem and a lot of the more expensive games a couple years ago

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 03:57:16 pm »
What are the last NES games you are after? I'm guessing all the cheap ones are out of the way.

I've still got some commons to go.  I do have the 2 big heavy hitters (Flintstones 2 and Little Samson) left.  It's not going to be easy, that's for sure.

I really think that collecting in general is what's driving the price up.  Folks aren't just collecting NES or SNES like they did 5 years ago.  People are collecting games. Period.  There are even some Wii games that are labeled "Rare" and prices are going up.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 03:59:07 pm by turf »

argyle

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 04:51:36 pm »
GC & PS2 games are going up. I haven't really noticed the original Xbox games going up, either that or the ones I'm interested in are the ones no one else wants. :P
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 05:00:07 pm »
GC & PS2 games are going up. I haven't really noticed the original Xbox games going up, either that or the ones I'm interested in are the ones no one else wants. :P

Take a look at KoToR 2 and Conker.  They've both gone up receintly

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 05:02:07 pm »
Come to CA, guys! PS2/Xbox/GameCube games are still about $5 a piece over here.

Warmsignal

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 05:56:58 pm »
Either an effect of the pot simmering over with enthusiasm for game collecting, or the fact that GC was far more obscure than PS2 or Xbox. Maybe a bit of both. GC proves to be almost as hard to find in the wild as Dreamcast. I'm shocked that Xbox remains as cheap and unloved as it still is. GC is going up, PS2 is on a steady rise, but I think Xbox is about the same as it was 5 years ago.

Earlier this year I checked everything on VGPC, the only consoles that hadn't seen a large increased average since 2009 was basically everything Sega (- SMS), and XBox. PS1 had actually gone down. Everything else has gone way up. SNES tripled I think.

Nowadays it doesn't surprise me to hear about anything becoming valuable. Especially if it's a game I never bothered to pick up.  ;D There are in fact valuable Wii games already, standard release ones. Wii prices are set to go way up in the near future, I'm almost certain.

dreama1

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 06:02:28 pm »

I've still got some commons to go.  I do have the 2 big heavy hitters (Flintstones 2 and Little Samson) left.  It's not going to be easy, that's for sure.

I really think that collecting in general is what's driving the price up.  Folks aren't just collecting NES or SNES like they did 5 years ago.  People are collecting games. Period.  There are even some Wii games that are labeled "Rare" and prices are going up.
You got cheetahmen 2, and nintendo world championships?