Author Topic: gamecube games shooting up in price or is it just me?  (Read 3626 times)

Warmsignal

Re: gamecube games shooting up in price or is it just me?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 06:12:01 pm »
Game collecting is hot.  Everything is going up.  NES stuff showed a little bit of a dip a month or so ago, but I'm sure it'll keep going up just as I'm dead set on finishing my set.
What are the last NES games you are after? I'm guessing all the cheap ones are out of the way.

I've still got some commons to go.  I do have the 2 big heavy hitters (Flintstones 2 and Little Samson) left.  It's not going to be easy, that's for sure.

I really think that collecting in general is what's driving the price up.  Folks aren't just collecting NES or SNES like they did 5 years ago.  People are collecting games. Period.  There are even some Wii games that are labeled "Rare" and prices are going up.
You got cheetahmen 2, and nintendo world championships?

I think the big question is Stadium Events. It's gotta hurting know you have to buy what is essentially World Class Track Meet with a different name for a couple grand.

dreama1

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 06:14:43 pm »
Either an effect of the pot simmering over with enthusiasm for game collecting, or the fact that GC was far more obscure than PS2 or Xbox. Maybe a bit of both. GC proves to be almost as hard to find in the wild as Dreamcast. I'm shocked that Xbox remains as cheap and unloved as it still is. GC is going up, PS2 is on a steady rise, but I think Xbox is about the same as it was 5 years ago.

Earlier this year I checked everything on VGPC, the only consoles that hadn't seen a large increased average since 2009 was basically everything Sega (- SMS), and XBox. PS1 had actually gone down. Everything else has gone way up. SNES tripled I think.

Nowadays it doesn't surprise me to hear about anything becoming valuable. Especially if it's a game I never bothered to pick up.  ;D There are in fact valuable Wii games already, standard release ones. Wii prices are set to go way up in the near future, I'm almost certain.
You think it's bad now give it 20 years that goes for all those systems. Still can't wrap my head around the fact the xbox 360 will be considered vintage one day. But I bet the games are still worthless, in there case finding a working piece of shit 360 would be the challenge.

dreama1

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 06:19:57 pm »
Game collecting is hot.  Everything is going up.  NES stuff showed a little bit of a dip a month or so ago, but I'm sure it'll keep going up just as I'm dead set on finishing my set.
What are the last NES games you are after? I'm guessing all the cheap ones are out of the way.

I've still got some commons to go.  I do have the 2 big heavy hitters (Flintstones 2 and Little Samson) left.  It's not going to be easy, that's for sure.

I really think that collecting in general is what's driving the price up.  Folks aren't just collecting NES or SNES like they did 5 years ago.  People are collecting games. Period.  There are even some Wii games that are labeled "Rare" and prices are going up.

I think the big question is Stadium Events. It's gotta hurting know you have to buy what is essentially World Class Track Meet with a different name for a couple grand.
I was just getting started with NES rarities.

argyle

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2014, 06:20:34 pm »
GC & PS2 games are going up. I haven't really noticed the original Xbox games going up, either that or the ones I'm interested in are the ones no one else wants. :P

Take a look at KoToR 2 and Conker.  They've both gone up receintly

Yep, games I'm not interested in. :P Actually I did know about Conker now that you say it, but I always hated that game. I probably need to take a closer look at that system's library before prices DO start to jump on it tho - just this week I was reminded that there's a port of the PC game Tron 2.0 on it, and I then proceeded to order a brand new copy off of Amazon for $5 shipped.  :o

Nowadays it doesn't surprise me to hear about anything becoming valuable. Especially if it's a game I never bothered to pick up.  ;D There are in fact valuable Wii games already, standard release ones. Wii prices are set to go way up in the near future, I'm almost certain.

Yep, I've been saying this - get the Wii stuff while you can.  And if you haven't really looked at the Wii's library and think that outside of first-party releases it's all shovelware...well, first, I was you last year.  Second, take a closer look, there are a surprising number of good overlooked games on that system, and many of them are already becoming scarce.  Once more people start to realize this & buy them up, they'll move on to valuable. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Warmsignal

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2014, 06:52:39 pm »
Either an effect of the pot simmering over with enthusiasm for game collecting, or the fact that GC was far more obscure than PS2 or Xbox. Maybe a bit of both. GC proves to be almost as hard to find in the wild as Dreamcast. I'm shocked that Xbox remains as cheap and unloved as it still is. GC is going up, PS2 is on a steady rise, but I think Xbox is about the same as it was 5 years ago.

Earlier this year I checked everything on VGPC, the only consoles that hadn't seen a large increased average since 2009 was basically everything Sega (- SMS), and XBox. PS1 had actually gone down. Everything else has gone way up. SNES tripled I think.

You think it's bad now give it 20 years that goes for all those systems. Still can't wrap my head around the fact the xbox 360 will be considered vintage one day. But I bet the games are still worthless, in there case finding a working piece of shit 360 would be the challenge.

I don't think the slim has quite the same reputation as the old white tanks do. Speaking of which, my 360 is an old white tank that hasn't tanked yet.  :D

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2014, 07:10:02 pm »

I don't think the slim has quite the same reputation as the old white tanks do. Speaking of which, my 360 is an old white tank that hasn't tanked yet.  :D

To date the 360 is the only console I've just completely and deliberately ignored.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2014, 07:15:16 pm »

Same here. And it's an early model. I got lucky.

However, it's not exactly 100%. The disc tray sticks and won't open if you close it without a game inside. Strangely enough, as long as a game is in it, though, no problems.

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2014, 07:18:12 pm »
It is not just you, it is going up a ton because the demand has spiked over the past 6-months. Every game store in my area has a hard time keeping GC titles in stock that aren't sports or extremely crappy budget titles (and even some of those are very sought after). Freakin Melee which is ultra common goes for $50 used on Ebay! That is insanity! But yeah, Gamecube collecting is on the rise, which makes sense though since anything old and Nintendo gets a ton of interest in it once it goes out of print and about a decade has gone by. It'll happen to the Wii someday so collect now.

I'm happy I got in and got out when I did in terms of Gamecube collecting. I used to find these games everywhere for dirt cheap. For a while i was finding complete copies of Windwaker for under $5 on almost a weekly basis, but now I rarely see it. I'm done with Gamecube collecting and have every title I care to won for it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 07:21:11 pm by bikingjahuty »

Warmsignal

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2014, 07:33:33 pm »

However, it's not exactly 100%. The disc tray sticks and won't open if you close it without a game inside. Strangely enough, as long as a game is in it, though, no problems.

Ugh, I started having the same issue a few months ago. What's up with that?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2014, 07:38:03 pm »

I don't know. The strange part is that if the gears were wearing, then it would do it even with a game in the tray. I just don't understand how having a game in the tray helps anything.

Warmsignal

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2014, 07:48:13 pm »

I don't know. The strange part is that if the gears were wearing, then it would do it even with a game in the tray. I just don't understand how having a game in the tray helps anything.

All I know is that I have to use a paper clip and press some sort of tiny release button. Maybe has something to do with the that tiny bit of weight the disc adds?

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2014, 08:44:21 pm »

I don't. I'm happy with my collection being a full US licensed, retail set (minus Stadium Events). I'm ok with not having the super expensive stuff.

As much as I'd love to have an NWC cart, I just don't see it happening unless I find one at a yard sale or win the lottery; and those are basically the same thing.

maximo310

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2014, 10:49:52 pm »
Yeah, gamecube is rising quite alot for pricing. I've been trying to pick up as many titles as I can, but some of those more uncommon games are pretty hard to find anywhere besides online. Even though I have a few of those pricey common gamecube titles, I still find myself finding out and looking for titles that I never knew about back when the system was still active and I feel like a have a long way to go before even feeling like my collection is complete. It's one of my goals to get a complete NTSC Gamecube set for my collection, and I'll see how that goes given the current pricing trends.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2014, 01:53:29 am »

All I know is that I have to use a paper clip and press some sort of tiny release button. Maybe has something to do with the that tiny bit of weight the disc adds?

That is probably it exactly.

I bought an original xbox for $5 expecting to use it for parts because the "DVD drive was broken."

Well the only thing wrong with it was it wouldn't open unless a LOT of downward force was applied to the tray during the eject sequence. Enough force that I was afraid I would burn out the motor if I did it regularly.

I took it apart and discovered the gears were fine. But one of the plastic spindles that held one of the gears in place had snapped.

Because of that when the gears turned one particular gear would lift up at an angle and it's teeth  would catch the bottom of the tray. As the tray moved it would pull the gear away from the teeth of the tray itself and the tray would stop moving.

The reason it would work with downward force applied to the tray was because the tray would then apply pressure to the top of the problem gear. Holding it and it's teeth in place for the entire eject sequence.

In my case the fix was to repair the broken spindle by carefully driving a nail through it and superglueing the nail in place. After I did that I remounted the gear on the reinforced spindle and re-assembled everything.

The drive has worked perfectly ever since.

If just having a disc in the tray does the trick for now. I'd say leave it alone. It's probably just the plastic supports for the gears have broken.

If it gets to the point that the disc in the tray doesn't do the trick it may be worth it to open it up and try to fix it before considering it a lost cause.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 01:56:02 am by dashv »

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2014, 01:54:52 am »