Author Topic: GOOD "Metroidvania" style games that aren't Metroid or Castlevania?  (Read 2860 times)

argyle

I'm a really big fan of the "Metroidvania" style game, and I keep coming across games in that genre that I didn't know about.  Most recently, I just finished Monster Tale - a very fun DS game in the style that also throws in a little Pokemon-esque monster raising.  So what are some other good games in that style, any system, that are NOT part of the Metroid or Castlevania series?  Here are some to get us started:

Tomba 1&2 - PS1 - The second game is fairly rare/sought after these days- the first one is as well to a lesser degree, mainly because you can get it on the PSN.  You're a pink-haired caveman fighting pigs.  It's as silly as it sounds, but a TON of fun - in addition to Metroidvania-style exploration and unlocking new areas by gaining abilities, it has a very nice quest system that really helps to keep you hooked.  Both games are equally great so both are recommended if you can find them.

Strider (2014) - PS3/PS4/360/XBone/PC - I'll admit that I'm not that familiar with the old Strider games.  I dabbled with some of the ports back in the day, but not enough for them to leave a real impression, and I can't say for certain if I've ever played the arcade game or not.  But this newest game is a blast combining great combat and exploration with some really nice 2.5D graphics & a sufficiently thumping soundtrack.

Monster Tale - DS - The game that prompted this thread, Monster Tale is a very cute but deceptively challenging game. You befriend a monster at the beginning of the game and feed/give him different items to up his different stats and evolve him in different ways.  You can switch between any of the unlocked "evolved" forms you've unlocked at any time, and each have their own stats & abilities to learn and master.  Mastered abilities can be equipped regardless of the current form.  Success requires you to use your own combat abilities in combination with the right support abilities from your monster.  Fantastic graphics and a really stand-out soundtrack with a story that manages to be cute without being inane, my only knock against this one is the excessive amount of backtracking required.  But that is easily overlooked because of everything else that the game does right. 

So what are some others?  I'll try to keep the OP updated - please, if you suggest one tell a little about it.  I'm not just looking for a list of games in the genre, I could probably find that on wikipedia - I'm looking for really GOOD games that you would recommend! :D
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

bobster

Re: GOOD "Metroidvania" style games that aren't Metroid or Castlevania?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 10:23:18 am »
I'm definitely interested in learning about more of those types of games as well! Good topic Greg  :).

The only thing I can really contribute is that one of the main reasons I'd pick up a 360 for cheap is for Shadow Complex. I hear really great things about that game and I'd love to play it. I'm sure someone else can speak to whether it's actually as good as it seems.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 10:33:33 am »
I don't know if it counts as a Metroidvania style game, but I really dig Blaster Master on the NES.  It has the same style of backtracking and exploration. 

I think Cave Story 3D on the 3DS fits in here too.  Real good game
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 10:35:49 am by turf »

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 11:16:39 am »
Some other good metroidvania games
Guacamelee-Latin influence, neat game very obviously metroidvania
Dust an Elysian Tail- Another PSN XBLA game,pretty awesome hand drawn backgrounds it was free a couple months ago on XBLA and this month for PSN
Muramasa- Wii and Vita, slowly becoming one of my favorite games fantastic graphics, huge Japanese influence, massive bosses awesome game
That's all I can think of atm
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 11:19:03 am by kingrat101 »

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 01:31:28 pm »
I'd go with Steamworld Dig.

Frankly, I don't want to see any more Metroid games backsliding to that 2-D crap, especially after all the begging for that very thing resulted in Other M, but I still love the style.  I just want Metroid to move forward, the way it did with Prime--and to continue in that direction.   Nintendo clearly has no new ideas to incorporate into the Metroid franchise in that regard, but lots of indies have ideas that work in their own capacities. 

Which is why I loved Steamworld Dig.  Easily my 3DS game of the year for 2013... well, maybe not easily, because I also loved Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei IV.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 02:03:41 pm »
Best one I've played that's not Metroid or Castlevania is Cave Story. I originally played it on Wii Ware, and had a freaking blast. Then I learned it was originally released as freeware for PC back in the 90s. So I'm sure if you do a little digging, you can find a copy for free.

It has all the exploratory and item upgrade elements that you expect from a Metroidvania game, but with an irresistible charm to the characters and graphics.

spac316

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 03:25:50 pm »
I think Shadow Complex for Xbox360 is a good one.

kam1kaz3nl77

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 06:22:28 pm »
Dark Matter (Steam or Retail)

Upcoming Pre-orders:

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 08:31:36 pm »
I don't know if it counts as a Metroidvania style game, but I really dig Blaster Master on the NES.  It has the same style of backtracking and exploration. 

I think Cave Story 3D on the 3DS fits in here too.  Real good game

Oh it counts. Greatest non-metriod, non-castlevania metriodvania style game ever made in my opinion. :)

foxhack

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 08:48:12 pm »

... isn't this game like, super short and it ends all of a sudden because the dev ran out of money?

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 09:52:36 pm »

... isn't this game like, super short and it ends all of a sudden because the dev ran out of money?

You're thinking of Destiny...

8)

foxhack

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 10:05:31 pm »

You're thinking of Destiny...

8)
I said "ran out of money", not "cut content for DLC."

argyle

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 10:43:02 am »
Some good ones mentioned here so far, many I had forgotten about and one or two I wasn't very familiar with.  :)  I played Blaster Master waaaaay back in the day, but I could swear it was a more linear game split up into levels - is it not?  ???

I've also been looking for a complete copy of Cave Story for the 3DS with no luck so far.  I've heard there was a reprint of sorts that hit Gamestop but that it was just the cart, no packaging - which would certainly make sense to me since ever GS in my area got it in stock at about the same time, cart only.   :-\
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

krelyan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 10:58:16 am »
Blaster Master is awesome.  I loved that game.

Here's some others that I haven't seen recommended yet:

La-Mulana - It's more puzzle-y than action-y and I had to use a FAQ to complete it, but it was pretty great.
Aquaria - The game has some good map exploration and exciting music.  It feels a lot like a remake of SotN and Super Metroid, which is good because it recreates the same experience, but doesn't really add anything new to the table.
Valdis Story - The gameplay is super solid and fun, but the game overall has some rough edges here and there.

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PS4), Fire Emblem Fates, The Witness (PS4), Puzzle & Dragons (Mobile)

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2014, 04:42:54 pm »
Some good ones mentioned here so far, many I had forgotten about and one or two I wasn't very familiar with.  :)  I played Blaster Master waaaaay back in the day, but I could swear it was a more linear game split up into levels - is it not?  ???

I've also been looking for a complete copy of Cave Story for the 3DS with no luck so far.  I've heard there was a reprint of sorts that hit Gamestop but that it was just the cart, no packaging - which would certainly make sense to me since ever GS in my area got it in stock at about the same time, cart only.   :-\

It's metroidvania in the sense that you can go back and forth between areas you've opened up at will. Power ups for your character are stackable, and the levels are not joined in a linear fashion.

For example *spoiler alert*

If you are trying to find the entrance to level 4 look in level 1.