Author Topic: Best shoot em up games ever?  (Read 7242 times)

dashv

PRO Supporter

Re: Best shoot em up games ever?
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2014, 12:03:08 pm »
I love the Parodius series. Why be a spaceship when you can be an octopus or a penguin?

I second Parodius and add Phoenix for the Atari 2600.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2014, 01:10:52 pm »
I love the Parodius series. Why be a spaceship when you can be an octopus or a penguin?

One of the few games I actually enjoyed on the 2600. It had a sense of progression (even if that progression doesn't go all that far). Also the enemy patterns were more erratic than other shooters at the time. And for an Atari game, that UFO boss looked pretty cool.

sin2beta

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2014, 06:39:12 pm »
Star Jacker is a favorite of mine. It can be found on the SG-1000 and Saturn for home ports. Star Force was a very popular one in the early 80s in Japan. I haven't quite figured out why though.

I love Galaga as well.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2014, 06:44:36 pm »
Star Jacker is a favorite of mine. It can be found on the SG-1000 and Saturn for home ports. Star Force was a very popular one in the early 80s in Japan. I haven't quite figured out why though.

It's unofficially the first game in the Star Soldier series. Play Star Force, and then play the original Star Soldier and the similarities are more than obvious.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2014, 02:54:22 am »

One of the few games I actually enjoyed on the 2600. It had a sense of progression (even if that progression doesn't go all that far). Also the enemy patterns were more erratic than other shooters at the time. And for an Atari game, that UFO boss looked pretty cool.

Exactly!

Why this game never got remade/revamped is beyond me!

« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2014, 11:34:37 am »
My three favorite shoot 'em ups on the Genesis/MD (and three favorites ever probably) are M.U.S.H.A., Thunder Force IV and Gleylancer. Some of my favorite titles on other consoles: Gate of Thunder and Lords of Thunder on the Turbo CD, Blazing Lazers and Soldier Blade on TurboGrafx-16, Galactic Attack on Sega Saturn, The Raiden Project and Sonic Wings Special on PS1....