Author Topic: Timeless games that still hold up today?  (Read 9499 times)

dashv

PRO Supporter

Re: Timeless games that still hold up today?
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 04:22:20 pm »
SMB 3. To this day, its probably still one of the best games made and replayable forever.

Yes. :)

Also:

Blaster Master
Super Metroid
Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening.

dreama1

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 04:51:35 pm »
SMB 3. To this day, its probably still one of the best games made and replayable forever.
You nailed it smb will never ever get old. Not now not never.

krelyan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 05:24:08 pm »
For games that were created before I was born, I've really enjoyed going back and playing Pac-Man, Warlords (I think that's what it was called - it was some multiplayer Pong clone), Donkey Kong, Missile Command and Joust.  I think all of those hold up incredibly well.

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PS4), Fire Emblem Fates, The Witness (PS4), Puzzle & Dragons (Mobile)

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 11:24:06 pm »
For games that were created before I was born, I've really enjoyed going back and playing Pac-Man, Warlords (I think that's what it was called - it was some multiplayer Pong clone), Donkey Kong, Missile Command and Joust.  I think all of those hold up incredibly well.

Warlords is a great game.

Also the only 4 player simultaneous game I am aware of for the Atari 2600.

maximo310

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2014, 11:35:05 pm »
Super Mario World 2 : Yoshi's Island, A Link to the Past, Daytona USA(arcade version), Street Fighter II, Final Fantasy 6 or 7, Chrono Trigger, and Castlevania :Symphony of the Night

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2014, 12:34:30 am »
Mario Kart 8)

pacpix

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2014, 12:47:28 am »
I did not see the comma in Pac-Man, Warlords at first and was wondering what amazing game I was missing out on ha.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2014, 07:12:02 am »
Lots of the 2600 library is still eminently playable today. Games don't have to be "modernish" to hold up well. A good game is a good game from any period. Someone mentioned chess. Sure not a video game but the thread title didn't specify video games so technically an excellent answer to the question. 

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2014, 09:20:39 am »
Lots of the 2600 library is still eminently playable today. Games don't have to be "modernish" to hold up well. A good game is a good game from any period. Someone mentioned chess. Sure not a video game but the thread title didn't specify video games so technically an excellent answer to the question. 

I said "modernness." 

To an eye looking back, some of these games can feel very modern in setting, style, and set-up.  For instance, one of the DnD games on the Intellivision is a first-person dungeon crawler with surprisingly modern elements, all from an era where 3-D movement didn't really exist. 

The most important part, I think, is control.  If the game controls in a way that a modern gamer will instantly recognize and be able to adapt to, it feels as though it could be a modern game--that's timeless, that "ages" well because, in a large part, it may get older, but it doesn't actually age.   

I mentioned Galaga because it still feels fresh and modern--shmups prior to Galaga feel dated and archaic.  Space Invaders is slow and clunky.  Galaxian is just slow.  But Galaga nailed the speed of attacks, the intensity of the gameplay, and the smooth, solid controls. 

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2014, 09:32:46 am »

I said "modernness." 

To an eye looking back, some of these games can feel very modern in setting, style, and set-up.  For instance, one of the DnD games on the Intellivision is a first-person dungeon crawler with surprisingly modern elements, all from an era where 3-D movement didn't really exist. 

The most important part, I think, is control.  If the game controls in a way that a modern gamer will instantly recognize and be able to adapt to, it feels as though it could be a modern game--that's timeless, that "ages" well because, in a large part, it may get older, but it doesn't actually age.   

I mentioned Galaga because it still feels fresh and modern--shmups prior to Galaga feel dated and archaic.  Space Invaders is slow and clunky.  Galaxian is just slow.  But Galaga nailed the speed of attacks, the intensity of the gameplay, and the smooth, solid controls.

I don't think its the modern feel.  I just think fun is fun is fun.  If you have fun with a game, it's a good game.  If a game is amazing because of some technical advancement, the fun may not be there when the shiny new wears off.

That's just my 2 cents.  That's why Galaga, Pac-Man, Super Mario Bros. are all still fun. 

dreama1

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2014, 10:52:23 am »
Super Mario World 2 : Yoshi's Island, A Link to the Past, Daytona USA(arcade version), Street Fighter II, Final Fantasy 6 or 7, Chrono Trigger, and Castlevania :Symphony of the Night
The baby is annoying dude you put it above super mario world?

dreama1

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2014, 10:58:14 am »
I didn't say it had to be modernish to hold up I  said most atari 2600s games do not hold up today, and I was looking for something more modernish 1985+. Perhaps you're letting your nostalgia cloud your judgement because when people talk retro it's either NES or beyond because atari has aged terribly. I don't often hear anyone who wasn't there during the atari games say "i'm going to crack out the old atari" when they talk retro. Half the reason why atari games are worthless for the most part besides a few exceptions.

dreama1

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2014, 11:11:23 am »

I said "modernness." 

Galaga is even on the atari 2600? Didn't think atari could run it. The NES, or sega version probably crush it anyway; wouldn't even be any reason to play that port.

maximo310

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2014, 11:14:02 am »
The baby is annoying dude you put it above super mario world?
The baby noise is not too bad, I think it adds to the game. Beside the slightly minor flaw, everything else in that game is great, and it looks and plays wonderfully as well.  So far none of its sequels have even come close to this masterpiece.