Author Topic: Natural Doctrine  (Read 750 times)

Natural Doctrine
« on: November 05, 2014, 11:15:48 am »
Has anyone played Natural Doctrine? I've heard a lot of negative things about the game but I feel one of the main criticisms, that the game is too hard, is extremely unfair given many hard games that were very well received by critics. Games like FTL, Dark Souls, Ninja Gaiden...etc.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: Natural Doctrine
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 11:45:13 am »
I've got it and it's toward the top of my backlog.

I agree though, difficulty - in & off itself, isn't something that should detract from a game's review or score.

A lot of people seem to equate a steep learning-curve w/ difficulty.  I've often seen Disgaea games called "too hard", "inaccessible", & "overwhelming".  I even used to think that they *were* all of these things

Exact same case w/ Cross Edge.

Like anything & everything else in life, everything *is* hard while you're still learning it.

I think it might be a case of some/most reviewers being budgeted to, say, 10-20 hours per game before having to review it...if so, I can see why they feel the way they do - if they're forced to give the review while they're still confused & frustrated + learning & mastering the systems & mechanics of the game = of course they're not going to be having fun or enjoying themselves when they sit down to write their review; also, of course - these reviews shouldn't be written by these people at these times.

SO many games I've played that I didn't like & weren't any fun...

...until, I had that "A-Ha"! moment where everything 'clicked' & made sense.

9 times outta 10, this is when a meh game changes into a good game for me.

Reviews shouldn't be submitted before this point, but - obviously, they are  >:(
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

GrooDWanderer

Re: Natural Doctrine
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 11:31:47 pm »
Here's a good gameplay impressions video.

http://youtu.be/k9YMPQZeQo8

As dangerous as a stampede of cattle...and almost as smart.