Author Topic: The best cancelled video games?  (Read 4135 times)

maximo310

Re: The best cancelled video games?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 04:23:15 pm »
Sonic Crackers comes to my mind. Also Terminator for NES but that was later turned into Journey to Silius. Also wasn't there a coupled Sonic games canceled for the Saturn?
Yeah, that was Sonic X-Treme. It pretty much got canceled due to infighting in SEGA, and that the only guy who was working his ass off to save the game had to go to the hospital and almost died due to overwork. However, some of the ideas in that game were implemented into Sonic Lost World for Wii U/3DS.

retroone

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 04:24:14 pm »
Looks like that guy went....X-Treme. ::)

dreama1

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 07:03:02 pm »
Sonic Crackers comes to my mind. Also Terminator for NES but that was later turned into Journey to Silius. Also wasn't there a coupled Sonic games canceled for the Saturn?
Yeah, that was Sonic X-Treme. It pretty much got canceled due to infighting in SEGA, and that the only guy who was working his ass off to save the game had to go to the hospital and almost died due to overwork. However, some of the ideas in that game were implemented into Sonic Lost World for Wii U/3DS.
I heard 3 people died working on panzer dragoon saga lol.

sin2beta

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 08:16:12 pm »

LOL.

SEGA had several unfortunately cancelled games. Eternal Champions 2. Comix Zone 2. I think planet harriers was a Dreamcast game. Streets of Rage 4 (By Ruffian Software), and many more I am forgetting.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 08:53:01 pm »
Dead Phoenix I remember seeing this on G4 back when that was relevant. you know that show where they just showed game trailers.

maximo310

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 10:05:07 pm »

LOL.

SEGA had several unfortunately cancelled games. Eternal Champions 2. Comix Zone 2. I think planet harriers was a Dreamcast game. Streets of Rage 4 (By Ruffian Software), and many more I am forgetting.
Yeah you're right about the Dreamcast port for Plant Harriers. It originated on the Sega Hikaru arcade board which was pretty expensive and used for  advanced fire/water graphics as well as introducing phong shading. It was made by Amsument vision, and there was going to be a Dreamcast version, but unfortunately I think it got canceled with the discontinuation of the Dreamcast internationally along with many other Dreamcast conversions back in the day. It sucks that the port got canceled because its actually a pretty fun game from what I've played.

maximo310

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 01:14:44 am »
Some other arcade games I want to mention are : Clockwork Aquario(last arcade game by Weststone creators of Wonder Boy), Gunbeat( Sega NAOMI title being developed as Treasure's first 3D game), Vic Viper( like F-Zero racing in arcade but with Gradius ships and there is a completed soundtrack for the game), as well as the prototype for Tekken 3, that was supposed to be on Namco's System 33 which was rumored to be a system to be way more powerful than Sega's Model 3.

dreama1

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 06:18:11 am »
Dead Phoenix I remember seeing this on G4 back when that was relevant. you know that show where they just showed game trailers.
That's a really cool name what happend to this one?

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 04:08:55 pm »
Prey 2 was just confirmed to be cancelled and that looked like it was gonna be pretty cool lol

retroone

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2014, 06:22:37 pm »
What about any of the Satellaview games such as BS ZELDA?

maximo310

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2014, 08:07:39 pm »
They were actual releases in Japan, thanks to the program that let you download game data onto the rewriteable data cartidge. There have also been modifications done to let you play BS Zelda or other games with or without the time limit in the bsnes emulator, along with translations. If you mean the international release for the Satellaview then I don't think they would have done the Satellaview exapansion internationally, considering the lack of network infrastructure necessary as well as costs to create and upkeep, as well as market shift by late 1995 to the new 32 bit consoles, and the 16 bit market was in a huge decline moreso compared to Japan since the Super Famicom was still popular over there.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2014, 10:43:32 pm »
That's a really cool name what happend to this one?

Capcom happened

retroone

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2014, 12:00:49 pm »
They were actual releases in Japan, thanks to the program that let you download game data onto the rewriteable data cartidge. There have also been modifications done to let you play BS Zelda or other games with or without the time limit in the bsnes emulator, along with translations. If you mean the international release for the Satellaview then I don't think they would have done the Satellaview exapansion internationally, considering the lack of network infrastructure necessary as well as costs to create and upkeep, as well as market shift by late 1995 to the new 32 bit consoles, and the 16 bit market was in a huge decline moreso compared to Japan since the Super Famicom was still popular over there.
I know that but there was never a physical release of the games are very rarely did people back them up making them unplayable and lost forever! This is the reason why I consider them canceled.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2014, 12:07:34 pm »
"BS" Zelda, huh huh.

retroone

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2014, 05:25:46 pm »
"BS" Zelda, huh huh.

It's BS it didnt come out in the states