Author Topic: Atari 2600 with Nolan Bushnell's Signature  (Read 3293 times)

Atari 2600 with Nolan Bushnell's Signature
« on: November 02, 2014, 07:31:19 pm »
I got this Atari 2600, it works and everything. I wondering how much it cost? I am not really a Video game guy but I found the Atari in a garage sale and Nolan just came to a Video Game convention to my city and I got his signature. I'm trying to sell it.

byron

Re: Atari 2600 with Nolan Bushnell's Signature
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 09:19:47 pm »
Signatures of living people are not worth a lot, and neither is the Sears Video Arcade. It's worth whatever somebody's willing to pay for it.

argyle

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 02:20:50 pm »
To add to that, if you didn't get any documented proof that those are his signatures then it's worth whatever a Atari 2600 that someone scribbled on is worth. Which isn't much.  :-\
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 08:38:13 pm »
I got a Picture with him

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 09:25:13 pm »
don't tell us, show us

kr2nist

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 09:24:39 am »
Yeah,  I mean, nobody's saying that it wasn't Nolan Bushnell who signed it or anything, but you'd run into the same issue if you were to say try selling your system to a pawn shop.  Autographed items these days require some kind of documentation to prove authenticity....and just like it was mentioned before, items with signatures of still-alive people are worth less than signatures of dead folks.

And of course it doesn't help any that the signature is on an Atari clone...   :-\

But still though, if you do have that picture with Nolan Bushnell, we'd love to see it!  :)
kr2nist (old school gamer and very awesome cartoonist!)
Currently owned systems:  XBox 360, XBox One

byron

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 05:56:07 pm »
The Sears Video Arcade isn't a clone, it's an Atari manufactured 2600 with a different face plate. I'm not too sure why or how this was done.

If anyone can explain to me what the deal was between Sears and Atari and why the Tele-Games brand existed, I would be very interested to hear it.

kr2nist

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 01:46:55 am »
The Sears Video Arcade isn't a clone, it's an Atari manufactured 2600 with a different face plate. I'm not too sure why or how this was done.

If anyone can explain to me what the deal was between Sears and Atari and why the Tele-Games brand existed, I would be very interested to hear it.

I know I used 'clone' in the wrong context.  But basically Atari and Sears had this relationship back in the mid 1970s on through the early 1980s, where the Atari 2600s were rebranded with the Tele-Games name (as obviously Sears couldn't use the Atari name and logo, for copyright infringement reasons...).  Just like Atari did, Sears released several versions of the 2600, as the "Sears Video Arcade Series"....and Sears also released their own versions of Atari games with the Tele-Games name.  Atari even produced three games that were exclusive to the Tele-Games brand as well.

byron

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 12:38:58 pm »
obviously Sears couldn't use the Atari name and logo, for copyright infringement reasons...

Maybe I'm dumb, but that reasoning doesn't strike me as obvious. Why isn't it copyright infringement when Sears sells a Sony TV?

kr2nist

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 01:27:17 am »
obviously Sears couldn't use the Atari name and logo, for copyright infringement reasons...

Maybe I'm dumb, but that reasoning doesn't strike me as obvious. Why isn't it copyright infringement when Sears sells a Sony TV?

Because Sears is selling a TV that's of a different brand name.  Sears could make a TV of their own like a Sony TV, but they wouldn't be allowed to use the "Sony" brand name, their logo, or anything.

And what started Sears' relationship with Atari was, Atari had released a home console version of their game "Pong" in 1975 after the arcade version of the same game did so well.  The home console version was an exact duplicate of the arcade game, just scaled down in size to require the use of a home television instead of its own built-in TV that was with the arcade version.  Sears ended up producing over 100,000 of those home "Pong" units for Atari, and that's what began their relationship.

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 09:45:21 am »
The weird thing for me is we bought our Atari back in 1980 in a local Sears and I swear it was an Atari branded model, not  the Sears Tele-games model.

byron

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 11:56:24 am »
Sears could make a TV of their own like a Sony TV, but they wouldn't be allowed to use the "Sony" brand name, their logo, or anything.

Of course not, but Sears did not make the Sears Video Arcade; it was manufactured by Atari.

kr2nist

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 12:05:27 am »
The weird thing for me is we bought our Atari back in 1980 in a local Sears and I swear it was an Atari branded model, not  the Sears Tele-games model.

It's very possible.  Back when the 2600's had first come out, Atari made them both under their own brand name and also the Sears brand name in order to be sold in Sears stores.  I can even remember in the Sears Wish Books that came out every Christmas, I saw both the Atari and Sears machines!

byron

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 12:48:09 am »
I can even remember in the Sears Wish Books that came out every Christmas, I saw both the Atari and Sears machines!

kr2nist

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 11:57:11 am »

Exactly.  lol!  And the even funnier part to that whole experience was, the only difference I saw between the two machines (aside from the different brand names) was that the "Steeplechase" game was for the Sears console only....

...and I remember as a kid wondering what the hell was up with that....