Author Topic: Fixing RROD Xbox 360's( original fat models)  (Read 2232 times)

maximo310

Fixing RROD Xbox 360's( original fat models)
« on: November 06, 2014, 05:08:06 pm »
I recently picked up a used 360 for bargain bin price at a store near my house, and when i turned in on after hooking it up, I got a RROD. I was able to get around it with a temporary fix and able to use it for the next hour or so, and turned it off. Is there a way to mostly fix the RROD problem? I know that part of the problem is caused by overheating from inside the console( possibly the GPU as the thermal paste wears off), but I'm just wondering if this problem is fixable to any degree.

davifus

Re: Fixing RROD Xbox 360's( original fat models)
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 05:30:53 pm »
Yeah, RROD is caused by overheating in solder points on the CPU & GPU. The constant heat will cause it detach and render the system useless unless you resolder it. Unsoldering the point and resoldering with a better thermal paste is one way but its a lot of work like the Ps3 fat (which is even more work).
>Replacing the Heatsink or the part inbetween to lessen the contact with mobo because it made too close to the mobo that it can wrap the mobo. 
>Better Thermal Paste - Arctic Silver
>Using Penny to dissipate some heat.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 05:37:46 pm by davifus »
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

davifus

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 05:32:29 pm »
Delete

thecrypticodor

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 07:15:35 pm »
There really is no real way of fixing them at least not permanently. Re-flowing the solder can can fix it for a month or two maybe even longer if you're lucky, yet the problem will always eventually reoccur.

davifus

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 07:53:15 pm »
There really is no real way of fixing them at least not permanently. Re-flowing the solder can can fix it for a month or two maybe even longer if you're lucky, yet the problem will always eventually reoccur.

Honestly, If you replace the X-Clamp, Heatsink, Thermal paste and resolder. You'll be able to fix it but If you take shit care of it then yeah it'll probably break again. 

Owner of a Xbox 360 Pro (Premium) since 08 and never has it RROD on me or required any internal fixing.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 07:56:04 pm by davifus »

thecrypticodor

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 08:15:26 pm »

Honestly, If you replace the X-Clamp, Heatsink, Thermal paste and resolder. You'll be able to fix it but If you take shit care of it then yeah it'll probably break again. 

Owner of a Xbox 360 Pro (Premium) since 08 and never has it RROD on me or required any internal fixing.
I've never owned a 360 myself because I caught wind of their dubious reliability before I was ready to take the plunge into the seventh gen. Yet I have friends who had them and they would always come to me to try and fix them. I have tried all of those things you've mentioned. I even tried replacing the stock fans with more powerful ones to no avail. Some people do get lucky and never have a problem but it's a crap shoot with those original models.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 08:17:36 pm by thecrypticodor »

davifus

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 08:19:33 pm »
I guess I was the few lucky people.

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 12:49:18 am »
It is fixable you have to know what you are doing.. I fixed 3 of them and all are still fine... Take xclamps off reflow board and apply good thermal paste and everything should be fine

maximo310

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 12:55:12 am »
Thanks for the suggestions people. I'll probably trying fixing it at some point in the next few weeks; it's good to know that these can be saved even with the numerous problems of the console structure.

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 09:15:21 pm »
I did the xclamp fix on my original 20 GB white console. It's been working fine ever since. It took me about an hour and less than $5 for parts.

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 02:28:19 am »
I guess I was the few lucky people.
Ticking time bomb! Yours will die one day regardless of how good you've taken care of it.

I have personally touched over 100 RROD 360 consoles with my two hands. Anything you do to fix the issue short of reballing the GPU with lead based solder will fail again. Mileage will vary... I had a Xclamp replacement last me several years in one box, but last days to weeks in others. Depends on how badly the motherboard is warped and how bad the BGA is cracked.

Slim or nothing for me nowadays!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 02:33:06 am by pceslayer »