Author Topic: UMD disc housing replacement?  (Read 2732 times)

desocietas

UMD disc housing replacement?
« on: November 08, 2014, 04:22:17 pm »
I just received a PSP disk from eBay... It was listed as "acceptable" but I was hoping for the best, ha, since it said it had been in storage but no other info other than that.

The plastic case around the UMD disk is cracked, but the game disc seems to be fine.

I know I can buy the transparent replacement housings, but does anyone know if you can buy the ones printed with the PSP wording and little icon?

I assume not, but thought I'd ask if anyone knew!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

foxhack

Re: UMD disc housing replacement?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 05:26:15 pm »
You could always buy a junk sports game off Gamestop and use its case.

desocietas

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 05:53:47 pm »
You could always buy a junk sports game off Gamestop and use its case.

I might go that route if I see one for cheap/free.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

davifus

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 06:46:07 pm »
If we had 3D printers we could print them out in plastic,wood,metal, anything in the world, but we dont.

Go scrap some sport titles.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 09:14:17 pm »
I honestly think you're probably better off with the Clear replacement cases. the regular cases are basically one and done, not to mention a pain in the ass to take apart and the only way I've been able to figure how to put them back together is with Glue and that's never a good Idea. the clear replacements just snap together, are easy to take apart and put back together. if you want I think got a few extras I'd be glad to send you a couple if I find them

davifus

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 09:51:50 pm »
I honestly think you're probably better off with the Clear replacement cases. the regular cases are basically one and done, not to mention a pain in the ass to take apart and the only way I've been able to figure how to put them back together is with Glue and that's never a good Idea. the clear replacements just snap together, are easy to take apart and put back together. if you want I think got a few extras I'd be glad to send you a couple if I find them

I'm sure the plastic case are practical but as a collector who wants to keep/preserve everything original I would scrap some of the sports titles.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 11:59:40 pm by davifus »
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

abe

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 10:20:28 pm »

I'm sure the plastic case are practically but as a collector who wants to keep/preserve everything original I would scrap some of the sports titles.

It's technically not original anymore if you're replacing the case, even if you're using an official case from another game. Aside from that, there are a few different visual designs of the UMD cases that the games came in. You might not be replacing it with the right one by using some random worthless sports title.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

maximo310

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 11:23:01 pm »

I'm sure the plastic case are practically but as a collector who wants to keep/preserve everything original I would scrap some of the sports titles.

It's technically not original anymore if you're replacing the case, even if you're using an official case from another game. Aside from that, there are a few different visual designs of the UMD cases that the games came in. You might not be replacing it with the right one by using some random worthless sports title.
There are different PSP case designs?

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 08:59:47 am »

Off the top of my head... I know my copy of Fate EXTRA doesn't have the little game controller icon in the bottom left

abe

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 09:34:30 am »

I'm know there's at least two. Here's a few examples of the two designs I could find in my collection.

desocietas

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 02:48:03 pm »

I'm know there's at least two. Here's a few examples of the two designs I could find in my collection.

Yeah, I've seen the ones without the icon/writing in the corners and wondered if they were still the original cases.  I assume so?
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

maximo310

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 03:54:40 pm »
I thinking that

Yeah, I've seen the ones without the icon/writing in the corners and wondered if they were still the original cases.  I assume so?
Ok, I think that the umd cases are pretty much the same besides the fact that some will have the psp logo on the front. Only two of my psp games from 05' and 07' have the label on their discs, while my other game that doesn't have it are from 07' and 08'. However, your Hatsune Miku Project Diva game from '09 has the psp logo on it, so I'm a bit confused on this.

abe

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 08:05:36 pm »
I thinking that

Ok, I think that the umd cases are pretty much the same besides the fact that some will have the psp logo on the front. Only two of my psp games from 05' and 07' have the label on their discs, while my other game that doesn't have it are from 07' and 08'. However, your Hatsune Miku Project Diva game from '09 has the psp logo on it, so I'm a bit confused on this.

I'm not sure why. Maybe Japanese region games kept the logos on the cases for longer than other regions. Maybe they never got rid of them. ???

Yes, the ones without the logos in the corners are indeed originals.

maximo310

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 09:01:12 pm »
I thinking that

I'm not sure why. Maybe Japanese region games kept the logos on the cases for longer than other regions. Maybe they never got rid of them. ???

Ok, well maybe it has to do with the suppliers and their usage of UMD cases since most of the official Sony stuff for additional UMD's use the cases with the logos on them.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 12:17:44 pm »
My God Eater also dont have the logo's.

Almost everything later then phantasy star portable 2 dont have logo's in my collection. Kingdom hearts is one of those that has the logo's.