Author Topic: The Lizard, a new NES game on Kickstarter.  (Read 1773 times)

Limeface

PRO Supporter

The Lizard, a new NES game on Kickstarter.
« on: November 20, 2014, 01:58:55 am »
So I learned about this new Homebrew NES game being funded on Kickstarter today called The Lizard. It's already been funded with a week to go.
The game is a platformer that focuses heavily on exploration. You use different lizards with different abilities to get around. There is a demo available on the Kickstarter page. The developer is one guy who has worked on different game projects. He covered Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon onto the NES. Kickstarter backers can get an exclusive white cartridge if they want. I'm super on the fence with this one. The game looks cool and the demo is fun. It feels like an actual NES game.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1101008925/lizard

Here is an interview Retro did with the developer.
http://readretro.com/features/interview-lizard-creator-brad-smith/

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: The Lizard, a new NES game on Kickstarter.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 10:32:28 am »
I kinda want it.  Kickstarter  makes me nervous though.  Folks never seem to get stuff in a timely manner, if ever.

bobster

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 01:30:57 pm »
I just played the demo a little bit and it's pretty interesting. I think it's a little hard to play on the pc using the keyboard, but I'm at work so I didn't have any other options.

It seems like a pretty chill game about exploring. I like the music so far!
Currently Playing: The Witcher

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 01:39:15 pm »
Anyone else hate these "NEW" retro games? I'd rather just let the system go out in a blaze of glory, rather than have these new homebrew's.  I just can't get into non-official games... they don't feel right.

anyone else feel me on that?  :D

thecrypticodor

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 03:02:26 pm »
The way I feel about most homebrews is that they always seem to be priced around $60, and the vast majority of them like this game just don't look good enough to see me paying that. I got tons and tons of legitimate “retro'' games on my wish list and can buy a lot more and for the money than that.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 03:04:41 pm by thecrypticodor »

bobster

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 03:04:16 pm »
The way I feel about most homebrews is that they always seem to be priced around $60, and the vast majority of them like this game just doesn't look good enough for me to see paying that. I got tons and tons of legitimate “retro'' games on my wish list and can buy a lot more and for the money than that.
I do agree with you. It's kind of hard to justify something like this when I think of what else 60 bucks can get me. This one is even more expensive if you want the box and manual.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

retroone

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 03:37:23 pm »

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 04:05:00 pm »
Anyone else hate these "NEW" retro games? I'd rather just let the system go out in a blaze of glory, rather than have these new homebrew's.  I just can't get into non-official games... they don't feel right.

anyone else feel me on that?  :D

I feel the same way. Homebrews usually end up merely mimicking better games that already exist.

If you're gonna make an NES game in this day and age, make one that pushes the boundaries a little bit. Make a game from a genre that is non-existent or poorly represented, or make a game with amazing graphics that nobody thought the system could do.

I hate to denigrate someone's hard work, but Lizard looks kinda like one of those low grade early NES games like Atlantis no Nazo or Super Pitfall. How would he need $12,000 to finish making that...? Other homebrewers produce the same type of stuff without Kickstarter pages.

Limeface

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 08:30:26 pm »
I think that the Homebrews are an attempt to recapture the atmosphere of gaming close to 30 years ago. Some work and some don't. I think it's really cool for games to still be coming out on a system that has long been discontinued. When I can boot up my NES and have ©2014 displayed with an 8-bit background noise, it's kind of cool. The thing with homebrews as a collector is sometimes it's a one time deal and when they're gone, they're gone. Others end up getting rereleased in big ways (Pier Solar) It's definitely a niche market, one that I'm still not entirely ready to jump into.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 05:33:43 pm by Limeface »

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 01:35:44 pm »
Brad seems like a really cool and genuine guy who's doing his best to use his roots to put together the game. :)

foxhack

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 02:37:15 pm »
HOLY COW IT'S THE MOON8 GUY

I have no interest on a cart version but I'd buy this on Steam.