Author Topic: Was E.T really that bad?  (Read 4676 times)

Was E.T really that bad?
« on: November 30, 2014, 11:13:13 pm »
So I've watched a lot of old Atari 2600 walkthroughs and I recently watched someone play E.T. and I'm having a hard time understanding why its considered the worst game of all time. I'm not saying the game is good, but there are so many Atari games that were just as bad if not worse, but everyone loved them. The first Indiana Jones game is absolutely baffling to me. People call it a puzzle game but that's like calling lego kit without instructions a puzzle.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Was E.T really that bad?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 11:43:35 pm »
It's the holes. Those damn holes. If they weren't there, it might be enjoyable enough to be playable.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 12:19:14 am »
I beat the game when I was a kid so it is far from unplayable.

I agree that the hate this game receives for being complex and unforgiving is unfair when games just as bad or worse (Raiders of the Lost Ark for example) are held up as forgotten gems of a bygone era.

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 01:03:22 am »
No. It had flaws, but it was damned ambitious as an Atari game, and certainly more playable than the majority of Atari games... would you play Football on Atari? I don't think so. It's just a game you need the manual for, and it's safe to assume that people on the hate bandwagon in recent years have forgotten that not all Atari games are easy pick up and play games.

I actually really like E.T. on Atari.

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 01:12:13 am »
Honestly no. I've played games that are waayyy worse, both on the 2600 all the way up to the PS3. It's definitely not a good game, but a lot of the reason it has been awarded so much of the infamy it carries is because of history revisionists online who like to pin the video game crash on it, and make it sound like it almost caused WW3. Alone, it's influence on the crash was minimal compared to a variety of other, much larger things going on around 1983.

kr2nist

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 01:49:31 am »
No. It had flaws, but it was damned ambitious as an Atari game, and certainly more playable than the majority of Atari games... would you play Football on Atari? I don't think so. It's just a game you need the manual for, and it's safe to assume that people on the hate bandwagon in recent years have forgotten that not all Atari games are easy pick up and play games.

E.T. wasn't the best Atari game, but it certainly wasn't the absolute worst either.  Sure the game was a pain in the butt and was definitely unforgiving, but I remember the relief I felt when I had beaten it when I was a kid.

And ugh....did you have to mention Football?  (...I think I just threw up in my mouth a little...lol!)  If I wanted decent gridiron action, I turned to RealSports Football instead.  ;)
kr2nist (old school gamer and very awesome cartoonist!)
Currently owned systems:  XBox 360, XBox One

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 07:47:11 am »
Doesn't help no one has the manual anymore.

kr2nist

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 09:37:18 am »

You could always check the Marketplace here, if you haven't checked it already...

And there's also Ebay, which I've listed below a couple of links to auctions and sales for that manual:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-2600-E-T-Extra-Terrestrial-Game-Program-Instructions-Manual-Only-/301419050933?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item462df9b7b5 (...bid right now is at $3.25...)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-T-The-Extra-Terrestrial-Atari-2600-1982-Game-Instruction-Manual-/121503526218?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item1c4a2cad4a (...comes with game & manual for $10.25...)

davifus

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 12:00:54 pm »
Glorious E.T
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 05:03:07 pm »
You could always check the Marketplace here, if you haven't checked it already...
And there's also Ebay, which I've listed below a couple of links to auctions and sales for that manual

I was speaking generally.
People who hop in for the first time might remain clueless on what to do. Having the manual actually helps explain how to play the game.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 07:31:45 pm »
I have to wonder after reading some of these replies: How many of you actually played, no struggled through this game as a kid? Because I did. I'm telling you, it really is that bad. I mean seriously: THOSE FUCKING HOLES!!!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 07:55:27 pm »
I had it as a kid. I didn't know it was a bad game. I never figured it out. I just wandered until I fell in those effin holes.

pacpix

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 09:29:37 pm »
I have to wonder after reading some of these replies: How many of you actually played, no struggled through this game as a kid? Because I did. I'm telling you, it really is that bad. I mean seriously: THOSE FUCKING HOLES!!!

Random Terrain, one of the biggest defenders of E.T. over at AtariAge made a nice video tutorial on escaping the pits.
Also has a few pages dedicated to the game.  Still do not care for it much myself, but not a terrible game.
http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-et-tips.html
http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-et.html
http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-et-map.html
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 10:02:40 pm »
Digital Press had a nice series of videos titled "Ten Atari 2600 Games Worse Than E.T.", but they appear to be privated now. :-\

kr2nist

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 12:13:04 am »

I know I had said in a previous post that I had beaten the game when I was a kid, but such the achievement came at a price of broken controllers.  So yeah, I know ALLLLLLLL about those damn holes....