Author Topic: Was E.T really that bad?  (Read 4668 times)

theflea

Re: Was E.T really that bad?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 06:16:52 am »
Ya I can name quite a few worse games then E.T.
I played it and beat it, while it was nothing worth playing again, it's not the worst game made by a long shot.
Superman 64 is far worse. lol  ::)
"Happy game hunting!!!"

soera

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 09:30:10 am »
I have to wonder after reading some of these replies: How many of you actually played, no struggled through this game as a kid? Because I did. I'm telling you, it really is that bad. I mean seriously: THOSE FUCKING HOLES!!!

This was me. I absolutely hated those holes. You would get close to the top and almost escape and then boom, back down you fell. I know someone mentioned the video on how to get out but when this game was current and when I played it, I had neither a manual or any type of video to watch on how to do it.

blipcs76

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 09:39:53 am »
I played it all the time as a kid and never thought of it as a bad game.  Over the years, I've played many games far worse than E.T., but its gained the reputation of being the worst game of all time and few people will come to defend it or throw out examples of "You think E.T. is bad?  You must have never played ____________ before."  Come back after you've played something like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 02:56:34 pm »
I played it all the time as a kid and never thought of it as a bad game.  Over the years, I've played many games far worse than E.T., but its gained the reputation of being the worst game of all time and few people will come to defend it or throw out examples of "You think E.T. is bad?  You must have never played ____________ before."  Come back after you've played something like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Jekyll and Hyde another over hated game. :)

soera

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 03:27:45 pm »
This brings up an interesting question. Is there a game that is considered universally horrible? ET, Friday the 13, Jaws, Shaq-Fu, Superman64 ... all these games have been listed before among some of the worst games ever made. But is there one that is so bad that basically everyone dislikes it?

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2014, 03:36:09 pm »
Probably Superman 64. There's really nothing redeemable, even if you read the manuals. At least E.T. has the charm and forgiveness of it being on the 2600.

abe

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2014, 03:36:24 pm »
This brings up an interesting question. Is there a game that is considered universally horrible? ET, Friday the 13, Jaws, Shaq-Fu, Superman64 ... all these games have been listed before among some of the worst games ever made. But is there one that is so bad that basically everyone dislikes it?

I'd be surprised if there was somebody who actually didn't at least dislike Superman64.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2014, 03:45:08 pm »

I'd be surprised if there was somebody who actually didn't at least dislike Superman64.

It's not well-known, but I dare you to show me someone who has actually played Conan on NES and enjoyed that broken piece of trash.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2014, 03:48:11 pm »

It's not well-known, but I dare you to show me someone who has actually played Conan on NES and enjoyed that broken piece of trash.

I've played it.  It's trash.  There are a bunch of NES games that are that bad.  While you're looking for that diamond in the rough, you'll come across a whole lot of plain ole rocks.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2014, 04:38:08 pm »
Superman 64. Deserves the hate.

I picked up Shaq Fu last weekend for SNES and while it's not the best fighter in the world I thought it was certainly better than Ranma 1/2. (The first Ranma fighting game, not the 3rd which is awesome.)

The graphics and sound are great. The story mode is very silly and entertaining.

The controls, hit detection, and super wide fight space are what makes it a hard game to play through.

But with some button mashing the game is beatable in about 15-20 minutes.

It was worth the $2 I spent on it.

I saw a YouTube video the other day where a guy was swearing up a storm hating on the game, it's graphics, etc. with flat out ridiculous comments like "Atari has better graphics than this!" it was obvious to me he was hating on it for the sake of hating on it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 04:47:47 pm by dashv »

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2014, 05:39:47 pm »
Any game that has Shaquille O'Neal performing kung fu on green skeletons, red Carnage-looking guys, and mummies, with loads of Pepsi advertising is okay in my book.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2014, 07:12:34 pm »
I have to wonder after reading some of these replies: How many of you actually played, no struggled through this game as a kid? Because I did. I'm telling you, it really is that bad. I mean seriously: THOSE FUCKING HOLES!!!

That last line was originally going to say, "FUCK THOSE HOLES!!!"

...yeah, decided to reword that after I had it written in front of me, lol.

freeplay

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2014, 04:14:05 pm »
Another vote for no. I beat the game regularly when I was around nine years old. The holes didn't bother me; I liked the challenge, actually.

EDIT: Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 01:48:17 am by freeplay »
Currently playing: Grandia II (DC), Metropolis Street Racer (DC)

argyle

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2014, 04:24:04 pm »
I didn't like it growing up, but I didn't HATE it either. I hated Swordquest: Earthworld, *that* is a horrible game.

EDIT: Freeplay, love your PSO icon - and welcome to the forum! :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2014, 04:48:40 pm »
Welcome to the site, freeplay! ;D