Author Topic: Ways to tell a game is an orginal copy?  (Read 1061 times)

Ways to tell a game is an orginal copy?
« on: December 03, 2014, 07:57:36 pm »
I've been looking for an original/sealed black label copy of FFX and found several on amazon but the prices can vary by hundreds of dollars.  I'm new to collecting so would anyone here have some insight as to why?  They both appear to be the same.  Are there any ways to tell for certain which copies are from the original printing?

desocietas

Re: Ways to tell a game is an orginal copy?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 08:04:58 pm »
Weird - do you have any links?  Looks like there are complete black label copies of the game on eBay for under $10.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 08:22:09 pm »
Just some general guidelines for spotting fakes, in any case:

Know what the official artwork looks like. A lot of times, pirates will make their own artwork and sticker-labels; and it's often different than the actual artwork.

Other times you, if it's disc-based, you can spot a burned disc. Some official games (like XBox for example) have special hologram logos on the inner ring, identifying it as an official licensed disc.

On a cartridge, look at the pin-outs on the bottom. Often times, the pirated cartridges have a different number of connections than the original cartridge.

But with today's technology, it can be tough to spot the pirates, sometimes. Those methods aren't always foolproof anymore.

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 08:52:12 pm »
The other thing is that some resellers just like to jack up the price artificially just to see if they can get someone to buy it for that price.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

maximo310

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 09:33:54 pm »
This looks like people trying to jack up the price of the game by keeping it sealed, and doing vga grading, but they should be ignored as the original black label of FFX is an extremely common PS2 game, and if you look around you can probably get it cib for around $5, or less if lucky. I wouldn't bother with the sealed listings in this case.

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 09:37:41 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  In my search I keep reading about "the Y-fold style factory plastic wrap and Sony white strip and silver pull tab".  Is there a way those could be faked?

desocietas

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 09:45:13 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  In my search I keep reading about "the Y-fold style factory plastic wrap and Sony white strip and silver pull tab".  Is there a way those could be faked?

Those are probably just folks trying to justify the jacked up price, honestly.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas