Author Topic: HDMI cables  (Read 4013 times)

Re: HDMI cables
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 03:00:56 pm »
For AV cables keep this site in your bookmarks:

http://www.monoprice.com

They custom build their cables and often times you can get Monster Quality cables for dirt cheap.

Chain stores make very little off of electronics because the prices are set and controlled by the manufacturers. Most of their money is made on heavily marked up accessories like cables, batteries, etc.

You will need boosters if its a long distance.

Thanks for the link. I need extra long cables to run to multiple rooms. Very good prices on these.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 04:02:05 pm »

They custom build their cables and often times you can get Monster Quality cables for dirt cheap.

Chain stores make very little off of electronics because the prices are set and controlled by the manufacturers. Most of their money is made on heavily marked up accessories like cables, batteries, etc.

Thanks for the link. I need extra long cables to run to multiple rooms. Very good prices on these.
Boosters will be necessary for HDMI cables longer than 25ft.

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 08:15:52 pm »

Boosters will be necessary for HDMI cables longer than 25ft.

Wasn't aware of this. Good to know. My project is still some ways down the line though. Main purpose is for touch screen monitors for jukebox software. If I lose the signal, I'll definitely pick up some boosters. Thanks.

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 10:43:22 am »
I have a quick question. Are expensive HDMI cables worth it?
I bought a $5 HDMI cable 2 years ago and it was fine but I tripped over it and bent one end. I went to Best Buy and the employee I talked to said more expensive HDMI cables ($30+) are worth buying because they have solid copper wires which have a more reliable transfer. After I got home I read online that there is no point buying an HDMI cable that costs more than $10.

That guy at Best Buy was an asshole salesman trying to get you to buy something more expensive.

I worked at Best Buy one winter season, and the employee discount on HDMI cables is about the same for all HDMI cables.  A $20 HDMI cord costs an employee about $3.  A $60 HDMI cord costs an employee about $4. 

There is no difference between the expensive ones and the cheap ones.  Buy a cheap, long one, and you'll be fine.  Well, not too long, per signal degradation.  You'd need a booster as noted.  Before my time there was done, I loaded up on HDMI cables, and bought 2 or 3 9-foot cables for something like $5 a piece (these were $60+ cables in-store).

Why are cables so much?  Because that's where the biggest profit margin lies.  Best Buy, for instance, makes no money on a PS3, but they do make a little on the games and a lot on the HDMI cables, particularly if it's a Best Buy brand like RocketFish or Insignia.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 10:45:35 am by evilnick »

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 08:43:08 pm »
I have a quick question. Are expensive HDMI cables worth it?
I bought a $5 HDMI cable 2 years ago and it was fine but I tripped over it and bent one end. I went to Best Buy and the employee I talked to said more expensive HDMI cables ($30+) are worth buying because they have solid copper wires which have a more reliable transfer. After I got home I read online that there is no point buying an HDMI cable that costs more than $10.

That guy at Best Buy was an asshole salesman trying to get you to buy something more expensive.

I worked at Best Buy one winter season, and the employee discount on HDMI cables is about the same for all HDMI cables.  A $20 HDMI cord costs an employee about $3.  A $60 HDMI cord costs an employee about $4. 

There is no difference between the expensive ones and the cheap ones.  Buy a cheap, long one, and you'll be fine.  Well, not too long, per signal degradation.  You'd need a booster as noted.  Before my time there was done, I loaded up on HDMI cables, and bought 2 or 3 9-foot cables for something like $5 a piece (these were $60+ cables in-store).

Why are cables so much?  Because that's where the biggest profit margin lies.  Best Buy, for instance, makes no money on a PS3, but they do make a little on the games and a lot on the HDMI cables, particularly if it's a Best Buy brand like RocketFish or Insignia.

I got suckered when I got my stand alone Bluray player some years back. Came home with a pair of Audioquest cables. I think they were $200 a piece for ~6ft.