Author Topic: I'm looking to get a Japanese PS2. Are they really all $100+?  (Read 4188 times)

razorbeamz

I'm looking to get a Japanese PS2. Are they really all $100+?
« on: December 22, 2014, 09:25:05 am »
I'm trying to find a Japanese PS2 (preferably slim) in the US as an easier way than a modchip to play import PS1 and PS2 games, and eBay prices seem to all be around $100-$150. I don't even need any cables or anything, just the console itself.

Is this the standard price? Is it just the Christmas rush? Or am I just looking in the wrong place?
My collection doesn't include my Steam or PSN games, just physical games.

Re: I'm looking to get a Japanese PS2. Are they really all $100+?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 10:15:12 am »
While I'm not familiar with PS2 markets, ebay prices generally tend to spike during the holidays. That does sound really high though. Wait a month or two.

kr2nist

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 11:49:10 am »
Yeah, I would wait until the holidays are over with if you're going to be shopping around on Ebay....because right now, their prices are ridiculous on just about anything.
kr2nist (old school gamer and very awesome cartoonist!)
Currently owned systems:  XBox 360, XBox One

maximo310

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 05:11:18 pm »
Japanese PS2's do command a bit of a premium compared to the other region PS2's, but I would suggest waiting until the price drops because its holiday season. See if you can find it for less than $100 then, or lower if possibly before jumping on it. Good luck with some of japan exclusive ps2 games, as many of their shmups are pretty expensive, with some hitting near $200.

davifus

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 11:41:55 pm »
Can't you just hack soft-mod a NTSC-PS2 and play JAP games on that?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 11:46:02 pm by davifus »
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

razorbeamz

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 08:38:11 pm »

I don't really have the skill or tools to do that. I wonder if I can pay someone to mod one for me if I send it to them. I have a couple PS2s.
My collection doesn't include my Steam or PSN games, just physical games.

maximo310

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 08:52:52 pm »
I think what you need is the free mcboot memory card, which you can get for 20 pounds or less, and it easily opens up your system so you can play imports, use emulators, play backups, etc.. I've heard it works for most import games, and seems like a much cheaper method to play imports than trying to get a japanese PS2.

http://www.pstwo.co.uk/

davifus

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 09:09:22 pm »

I don't really have the skill or tools to do that. I wonder if I can pay someone to mod one for me if I send it to them. I have a couple PS2s.

well the soft modding process is really easy. it by exploiting a game (007 Agent under Fire).

This soft mod is to download the free mc boot software.

Once you have a Free mc boot memory card you can copy it to the other vanilla memory cards.

it cheaper just to make it yourself.
Real easy stuff
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 09:11:42 pm by davifus »
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 11:53:25 pm »
I was very, very lucky and found a CIB slim Japanese PS2 at a used media store about a year ago for $60. They had no idea it was Japanese, but luckily I checked the region on the box. Prior to that, I was also in the market for Japanese PS2 and the cheapest ones I remember seeing on Ebay were Fats for $100 to $120 on their own. The slims go for more, typically $150 or more.

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 07:31:20 am »
I live in Japan and I can confirm PS2s are expensive considering their age. At least 80$ for the slim or fat, usually a bit more. But you can get a wii for like 30.