Author Topic: Atari Dig Cartridge - How to list on VG Collect? Admin please advice!  (Read 2004 times)

Hey guys n girls
So I got one of the original Atari dig cartridges which was buried in the New Mexico desert. I got the COA and everything but I feel it doesn't belong in the standard listings for the game. The game is SwordQuest EarthWorld but because of what it is I feel it should be a separate listing. Admin and others can you please advise as to how I should properly add this item to my collection please. Thank you for your time.

Raiden58237
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 06:17:04 pm by raiden58237 »
It doesn't matter how much money you put into it, what matters is how much time and effort you put into it. Always quality over quantity.

foxhack

Re: Atari Dig Cartridge - How to list on VG Collect? Admin please advice!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 07:07:19 pm »
I can't believe they sold those...

Ahem. List it like this:

Game name (Alamogordo Dig Site). Then when you add the game, mention that the item was sourced from the Alamogordo dig site and that it includes a certificate of authenticity. And make sure you mention your item's number in your personal item notes, not in the title or the item notes themselves.

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 07:11:56 pm »
Thank you admin and don't worry they aren't selling all of them. Quiet a few have been handed out to museums in the US for preservation and I heard (not confirmed) that some of the original Atari programmers were given a few as well.
It doesn't matter how much money you put into it, what matters is how much time and effort you put into it. Always quality over quantity.

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 10:00:16 am »
I got one too (Centipede, in original plastic case with Target price tag). And surprisingly no, it does not smell, mine doesn't anyways. Comes with authentic dirt.  :P

They selected 800 to sell on eBay in waves of 100 per week. (Which ended in December) The E.T. games made $37,000 alone. They set aside another 500 games to disperse to museums worldwide. The Smithsonian already took their cut at the Atari consoles and computers buried there, and some unopened crates of games.

There's still more down in that pit if they ever want to unearth it again. At least the $37 grand showed the city that it was worth the EPA risks to dig up that place.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 10:02:12 am by seberhusky »

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 12:20:41 pm »
That is awesome, I didnt know they sold them. Maybe ill add some dirt to my ET game and sell it (i am kidding of course)
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 12:48:16 pm »
That is awesome, I didnt know they sold them. Maybe ill add some dirt to my ET game and sell it (i am kidding of course)

Someone did try doing that! He put like "ET New Mexico" or something like that in the title, of these beat up Atari carts in smashed boxes and ran the auction for a month or longer after the dig was revealed (never bothered to check back on it).

But all of the games from the Alamorgordo auction all have archived and cataloged metal city ID tags on 'em that came with every game and are marked on the certificate received. If you see a game secondhand in the future, and it has no ID tag or anything, it's likely a fake.   I wish I had one of the ET Games myself, but I wasn't about to take out a mortgage on the house. haha 

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 02:49:33 pm »

Someone did try doing that! He put like "ET New Mexico" or something like that in the title, of these beat up Atari carts in smashed boxes and ran the auction for a month or longer after the dig was revealed (never bothered to check back on it).

But all of the games from the Alamorgordo auction all have archived and cataloged metal city ID tags on 'em that came with every game and are marked on the certificate received. If you see a game secondhand in the future, and it has no ID tag or anything, it's likely a fake.   I wish I had one of the ET Games myself, but I wasn't about to take out a mortgage on the house. haha

I wouldn't buy it at the price tag either, mostly cause its pretty unplayable haha
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

tpugmire

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 05:43:40 pm »
Some are fairly affordable. I check their listings every now and then to see what's available. Looks like the current batch is Missile Command and Centipede. I'll probably end up buying a loose cart at some point.

http://m.ebay.com/sch/tbhs575/m.html?isRefine=true&_pgn=1&_nkw=seller%3Atbhs575&_sasl=tbhs575
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com