Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 514916 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #2430 on: February 29, 2016, 10:36:37 am »
dark is going to scowl at me, but I still haven't popped in Tears to Tiara 2 just yet. While I continue to make my way through Project X Zone 2, I started Folklore for the PlayStation 3. My brother lent it to me, so I want to play it and get it back to him. XD

*scowlface*

What's Folklore like?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

kashell

« Reply #2431 on: February 29, 2016, 10:51:20 am »
dark is going to scowl at me, but I still haven't popped in Tears to Tiara 2 just yet. While I continue to make my way through Project X Zone 2, I started Folklore for the PlayStation 3. My brother lent it to me, so I want to play it and get it back to him. XD

*scowlface*

What's Folklore like?

<3

It's an action game with some RPG elements thrown in. I've barely scratched the surface, but I read the instruction manual and it looks like it's going to be lots of fun.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2432 on: February 29, 2016, 11:34:46 am »
I've got the 4-disc OST to Folklore and it's fantastic.

You're in for an aural treat, my sweet!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2433 on: February 29, 2016, 12:51:02 pm »

Just started this last night .This game is suprisingly good! It feels a lot like Crystalis on NES. The gameplay feels like an adventure game like Zelda, but with added RPG-elements like experience points/level-up system, gold and shops, new armor and items, and a sense of exploration.

The voice-acting and story could use some work, but the gameplay is good enough to overlook that. Check this one out if you have the chance.

maximo310

« Reply #2434 on: February 29, 2016, 01:10:21 pm »
Made it to Chapter 7 for Fire Emblem Fates for Birthright/Conquest. I'm gonna try to get Conquest first, then Birthright hopefully.

Ys IV: Dawn of Y(PCE- Super CD- I've only played up to the first dungeon, but so far it seems like an natural extension of  the gameplay systems in Ys I+II, especailly since you can move diagonally now. It really does have an awesome soundtrack with lots of redbook audio( although space limitations mean that most of the town themes/certain areas are PCE chiptune only) and the story seems pretty fleshed out. It's weird how Falcom decided to base its remake on the SNES version, Mask of the Sun, instead of this version which seems to be better in every single aspect.

kashell

« Reply #2435 on: March 03, 2016, 11:19:21 am »
I stopped with Folklore. It's an interesting game, but the slow pace and repetitive combat ended up eclipsing the good stuff it offered.

Thanks to Project X Zone 2, I decided to finally start Shenmue.

« Reply #2436 on: March 05, 2016, 05:52:44 am »
I've just been absorbed into Stardew Valley on PC.  I've never really played Harvest Moon, but from screenshots and what people tell me, it's just a pure straight up throwback to the SNES Harvest Moon.  Visually and UI wise it's more familiar to like Terraria/Starbound, just in an isometric view.  My only other frame of reference for this kind of game is Animal Crossing, but this is far better.  Animal Crossing I struggled to keep with for too long because it was more about popping on for like a half hour each day to do stuff .  It has it's charm, but Stardew makes me feel like I'm accomplishing stuff in this with my slow progression.

Honestly, I don't even have much of a farm right now.  I've bounced between one and two plots for farming fruits and veggies, but I spend a lot of time doing the action section in the mines, fishing, doing the collecting stuff (One of them is just the museum from Animal Crossing), some of the quests, etc...And just when stuff might start to get a little dull, you get a season change.  In like 10 hours of play, I'm a little over half way through the second month/season, looking at Fall coming up soon. There's all new items to collect, new things to farm, possibly new goodies given to you.  I still have some spots I haven't explored on the map yet.

Whats kinda funny, is that the beginning of the game has a slightly dark'ish tone to it that made me laugh and plays abit into this kinda background story the game has with this small village dealing with the encroachment of modern stores.  Not sure if this will end up being a thing with driven story or not, but it makes things interesting and I'm kinda always getting enough new stuff in the right intervals to keep me from getting bored.

abe

« Reply #2437 on: March 05, 2016, 08:35:12 am »
Started The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD last night. Aside from the incredibly boring first hour or so, it's awesome. :D This is the first time I've experienced any version of Twilight Princess, so everything is nice and new to me. I'm glad I waited for this version to release after its announcement rather than getting the cheap Wii version. Being able to play with the WiiU Pro Controller is nice as well, as I probably would've had a lot less fun if I was flailing my arms around with the Wii version instead. It's nice getting some more use out of my WiiU. :)
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #2438 on: March 05, 2016, 05:01:30 pm »
I finally joined the 21st century and got a computer that Steam couldn't melt. Papers, Please is everything I never knew I wanted. Also dove headfirst back into Minecraft after a couple years' hiatus and am dabbling in Kingdom Hearts I.5 HD on PS3. The last one's in-game camera is a lot worse than I remember, but I'm drowning in nostalgia, so it's all good. Deep Jungle was always my favorite world. Shame copyright laws had to bar it from the series forever.
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.

desocietas

« Reply #2439 on: March 05, 2016, 05:26:52 pm »
I finally joined the 21st century and got a computer that Steam couldn't melt. Papers, Please is everything I never knew I wanted. Also dove headfirst back into Minecraft after a couple years' hiatus and am dabbling in Kingdom Hearts I.5 HD on PS3. The last one's in-game camera is a lot worse than I remember, but I'm drowning in nostalgia, so it's all good. Deep Jungle was always my favorite world. Shame copyright laws had to bar it from the series forever.

Papers, Please is sooooo goood!  Glad you're enjoying it!  I haven't gotten very far, but it's a great game. I'm very tempted by Stardew Valley but know I have plenty of other games to play, including the other Harvest Moon games.  The last game I played in the last few days was probably Cook, Serve, Delicious! - a silly but easily addictive restaurant sim.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #2440 on: March 05, 2016, 08:08:02 pm »
It's almost funny. I'm winding down from a repetitive job by playing a game that is nothing but a repetitive job. :P I'll admit I haven't gotten very far either, but I'm really loving the aesthetic and atmosphere. I heard it can get really hectic toward the end. Guess I'll have to see for myself.

I've been hearing a lot about Stardew Valley, but it didn't really catch my interest. I might check it out now based on what I've heard around here.
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.

« Reply #2441 on: March 10, 2016, 11:27:07 am »
Tried playing Zelda: Spirit Tracks for the first time.  Heard for awhile now it was not very well liked and did not know why, only hearing that a big part was the train aspect.  It has to be because of those controls right? Completely stylus controlled? Oh no that is bad lol I would take motion controls over straight stylus.  Phantom Hourglass is not like this also, is it?  These could be the only Zelda games I don't play lol

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2442 on: March 10, 2016, 12:53:05 pm »
^ I enjoyed Phantom Hourglass. The stylus controls aren't bad, and work quite well. The only bad-side is that you keep having to revisit this one dungeon over and over again, and that starts to get old (there are other dungeons, too).

Spirit Tracks, I hated. And yeah, it's all due to the stupid train thing. It's like some guy that's way into trains somehow got some pull in that game. When I play Zelda, I want to go on a fantasy adventure, not drive trains and build tracks.

« Reply #2443 on: March 10, 2016, 12:57:22 pm »
So many games in my Steam library, I went from like 3 games before PAX South to now about 150.

And there are more PC games I want to get.  I want to play Firewatch, "Papers, Please", stardew valley, etc.  Once I finish Hacknet, I'm probably going to get Firewatch.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 02:11:12 pm by ctracy87 »

« Reply #2444 on: March 10, 2016, 09:07:09 pm »
^ I enjoyed Phantom Hourglass. The stylus controls aren't bad, and work quite well. The only bad-side is that you keep having to revisit this one dungeon over and over again, and that starts to get old (there are other dungeons, too).

Spirit Tracks, I hated. And yeah, it's all due to the stupid train thing. It's like some guy that's way into trains somehow got some pull in that game. When I play Zelda, I want to go on a fantasy adventure, not drive trains and build tracks.

I was just wandering around the starting area for Spirit Tracks, shocked at such a bad control scheme.  I could probably get over the linear train stuff if it wasn't for the stylus controls.  I don't like motion controls, but at least I could move in Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword just fine with the left analog stick.  All I got with Spirit Tracks is my hand covering up the screen half the time to move and tap on things lol