Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 514851 times)

desocietas

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #3120 on: May 04, 2017, 12:39:10 pm »
Still forever trying to play:
- Persona 5: restarted it after 14 hours. Hoping that this second go around will pull me in a little more.

I'm curious, what about the game hasn't been pulling you in? I'm planning on picking it up one of these days

I can't quite put my finger on it. Everyone I know who's played it is absolutely in love, calling it the best one in the series, but I haven't gotten that yet. One friend did admit that it can be a little slow to pick up in the beginning, so I'm hoping that's all it is. So far, just nothing has quite blown me away yet. I know in P3FES, the music got me immediately, then the style. P4 had great music as well, and the colorful artstyle and silly humor kept me going. So far P5 just feels very... brooding, I guess?

It might also just not be the right mindset/weather for me to play it...?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

telly

« Reply #3121 on: May 04, 2017, 12:41:08 pm »
Still forever trying to play:
- Persona 5: restarted it after 14 hours. Hoping that this second go around will pull me in a little more.

I'm curious, what about the game hasn't been pulling you in? I'm planning on picking it up one of these days

I can't quite put my finger on it. Everyone I know who's played it is absolutely in love, calling it the best one in the series, but I haven't gotten that yet. One friend did admit that it can be a little slow to pick up in the beginning, so I'm hoping that's all it is. So far, just nothing has quite blown me away yet. I know in P3FES, the music got me immediately, then the style. P4 had great music as well, and the colorful artstyle and silly humor kept me going. So far P5 just feels very... brooding, I guess?

It might also just not be the right mindset/weather for me to play it...?

Hmm interesting! Having just played P3 FES maybe I should wait a bit before diving into P5, I still need a PS4 anyway because I want that version :)
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3122 on: May 04, 2017, 12:49:11 pm »

This is free on XBox Live this month. Been wanting to play it for a while, I just never got around to downloading it.

I just started it playing right before bed. I enjoyed what I played, but I didn't get any further than the first level.

The game mechanics are cool, switching between characters on the fly and changing the scenery as well. And I love the hard-rocking side of the soundtrack (I changed my sound options to play that only, rather than the cutesy soundtrack). And the graphics are gorgeous for a 2D game.

But it is far different than the original C64 Giana Sisters, which was a SMB 1 clone. Not bad, just different.

shfan

« Reply #3123 on: May 09, 2017, 10:22:31 pm »
Stardew Valley on the PS4. At first the graphics were a little jarring (the pseudo-16 bit look is not easy on the eye, particularly with small character sprites) and the NPCs' dialogue left me a little... jarred, again I guess, it was so different to Harvest Moon's dialogue, but after awhile playing I have to say it's a gorgeous game and so well made! Really pleased to be playing it. TBH I always collect harvest moon games when I can, but it's been a good few years since I sat down and played one, this has definitely reignited my interest in the FarmPG (TM) genre for me :D

shepard11

« Reply #3124 on: May 10, 2017, 10:32:17 am »
Been playing Lego Batman 3 (trying to get 100% on that game). But I decided to take a break last night and busted out my monitor, my Saturn and my Dreamcast. My poor twitch followers had to sit through an hour of Street Fighter the Movie the Game. Then finished the night out with MvC2, had so much fun might do it again tonight.

« Reply #3125 on: May 10, 2017, 07:24:55 pm »
I've been playing Fahrenheit on PS2, Giana Sisters twisted dreams and Shenmue

« Reply #3126 on: May 11, 2017, 01:34:48 pm »
I started playing Horizon Zero Dawn two days ago and I'm liking it so far. Beginning was pretty slow but now it's finally picking up.

doafan

« Reply #3127 on: May 12, 2017, 01:00:10 pm »
Awww, haha. Maybe in the future she can try out the demo before purchase?

She already started with the demo but hasn't been able to complete all the levels of course am helping her but the idea is to make her thing and solve the puzzles by herself, me in the other hand started to play and have been playing all this week Final Exam, am trying to beat this title but the damn last boss is kicking my ass every time, dunno what the hell am doing wrong cause already have unlocked the chainsaw or maybe is my old controller which needs to be replaced anyway hope that I can finally beat it this weekend also have been playing like crazy Team Kirby Clash Deluxe, reached level 35 also got my 105 achievements this morning before I came to the office, want to level up a little more before unlocking the new bosses  8)

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

guilty0fbeing

« Reply #3128 on: May 16, 2017, 02:23:41 pm »
I'm still on a steady diet of Blue Rider on PS4. I'm at Level 4. I want to beat Level 4 today!

desocietas

« Reply #3129 on: May 16, 2017, 03:05:17 pm »
Slowly but steadily working on Persona 5. Finished the first big objective over the weekend and looking forward to progressing story/social links. FFXIV has maintenance today, so I might work on that or play more of the adventure mode in Puyo Puyo Tetris. The Tetris parts are easy, but I'm still trying to figure out how the Puyo Puyo parts work  ???
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #3130 on: May 16, 2017, 04:10:08 pm »
I started Crimson Tears for the PlayStation 2 about a week ago. Man, this game is a blast. It's a beat 'em up, but it has some RPG features and a solid story and cast that make it more than just your typical game in the genre. The cel-shaded presentation and enemy variety work so well for this game. I really like how the combo system isn't just about mashing buttons. It requires more precise input, but there are so many weapons and combos to try so everyone will find something that clicks well for them.

If there was ever a game that would do well with an online re-release to include the original game plus couch co-op or online co-op, it would be this.

« Reply #3131 on: May 17, 2017, 04:06:34 am »
Having a real love-hate relationship with The Surge right now.  Overall, the game is definitely a step up from Lords of the Fallen, which was just a poor mans Dark Souls, and while this game is just trying to be a scifi Dark Souls, it has a number unique elements that I enjoy and find cool.

Seeing that it is a wannabe Dark Souls/Bloodborne game, I think it struggles to create gameplay that makes sense and struggles to stack up to those games.  It's hard to figure out attacks you can or can't block and between enemies, as there's just a lack of consistency with these attacks.  In Souls games, you can usually block most attacks unless the attack is a grab, a massive power strike, magic, or something that might knock you off balance.  In Surge, they attack straight through the block and do huge damage.

The scrub enemies have a running lunge that can't be blocked, so you have to dodge.  It's the only noticeable normal enemy attack that has a good tell.  The two handed faster guys have a running lunge with multiple strikes, but it can be blocked.  His unblockable is a quick strike with not much of a tell.  There's a slow hammer guy who also has a charge, but is blockable, but his uppercut hammer doesn't have a very great tell and is a double unblockable.  Souls games tend to have a lot more leeway with dodging, blocking and even offering you health items.  Surge I don't feel has enough of that, which makes it way harder than it should be and relies on seemingly random pickups for the implants which deal with like boosts and health recovery.  Even Nioh did better (It has it's roots in the Ninja Gaiden series, but very much adopts a lot of Souls in it).  Sure, I know what the attacks are now, but it makes some feel impossible to get away from, especially when you are stuck into certain attacks and that all enemies so far have an attack like this.  This was never a thing with the Souls games.

It doesn't help that I can't play quite how I want.  I tend to like heavy build guys if I get the option, but the heavy armor in this is so slow, combined with slow weapons, and when you bring in the blocking issues, and how it doesn't deflect enough damage, I have no reason to play that way.  I couldn't beat the 1st boss with it.  So far, it's best to go with the lighter armor, and have a heavy weapon, because you get an attack speed buff wearing the full light armor and I believe more energy for strikes and are just way faster in general.

Where Souls is frustrating because it's such a genuine challenge, but I can learn to get better, Surge feels more artificial in its difficulty at the moment to me. 

Anyone else playing the game right now that can share their view on it?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 04:08:32 am by kamikazekeeg »

guilty0fbeing

« Reply #3132 on: May 17, 2017, 10:49:37 am »
Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge is way too hard.

I went back to Parodius last night on GB; it's way easier to play on the Retron 5.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3133 on: May 17, 2017, 01:02:00 pm »
I started Crimson Tears for the PlayStation 2 about a week ago. Man, this game is a blast. It's a beat 'em up, but it has some RPG features and a solid story and cast that make it more than just your typical game in the genre. The cel-shaded presentation and enemy variety work so well for this game. I really like how the combo system isn't just about mashing buttons. It requires more precise input, but there are so many weapons and combos to try so everyone will find something that clicks well for them.

If there was ever a game that would do well with an online re-release to include the original game plus couch co-op or online co-op, it would be this.

Like I don't have enough PS2 games already...I'm gonna have to get this one.

shepard11

« Reply #3134 on: May 17, 2017, 06:19:59 pm »

Like I don't have enough PS2 games already...I'm gonna have to get this one.

I was thinking the same thing.