Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 515401 times)

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #3135 on: May 17, 2017, 09:48:58 pm »
i am playing elder scroll online ps4 version

World of Warcraft is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game released in 2004 by Blizzard Entertainment. playermall is no.1 world of warcraft marketplace.It is the fourth released game set in the fantasy Warcraft universe, which was first introduced by Warcraft: Orcs & Humans in 1994.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 05:50:57 am by mmoseeker »

guilty0fbeing

« Reply #3136 on: May 17, 2017, 10:05:05 pm »
I played a little bit of THPS on PS1 tonight?

shfan

« Reply #3137 on: May 18, 2017, 12:13:47 am »
Anyone else playing the game right now that can share their view on it?

*Potential spoilers for The Surge!*

TBH I don't think running direct comparisons with Souls is going to serve you well with this game or others like it, especially since FROM has essentially been making them since the first King's Field, that's a lot of practice, even then variations between titles like Bloodborne and DS II can become bones of contention. FROM got lucky, their throwback was released just when players were hankering after some old-skool punishment and the dawn of realization that a lot of babies were thrown out with the bathwater when developers just chucked away all the old genres and playstyles in favour of 3D action adventure mish-mashes that most games became during the 360/PS3 era. It's going to take some perfecting for other studios to come up to Souls' standards and they may well move away from it altogether in the same way other genres and sub-groups evolve.

I definitely agree that combat is tricky and lop-sided with regards to 'tells', it's so easy to get butchered when faced with an enemy you can normally beat no problem. Recently during gameplay there was a tutorial message about ducking/jumping and counter-attacking - christ, I have enough trouble just blocking or dodging, how am I supposed to do that?!?

With light VS heavy armour.. the way I'm looking at it is that both the starter sets are just that, most likely the later suits of armour will properly allow specialization IE lighter armour with massive speed boosts vs. heavy armour with noticeably improved defense ratings. I got a level 3 mod, for instance, which is twice as effective as the level 1 mod it replaced - that hints to the rig set-up blossoming later on in the game, with improving it across all areas dragging things slightly in your favour. Even then, armour points don't seem to do much at all to damage caused, it looks to be just how effective that slight defense bump is overall, which then gets combined with damage/speed bonuses, more effective healing etc. to make a full package.

For all that let's see if I can actually get further, I'm on the second area (sounds like you're the same) and have not managed to open a single shortcut for hours of gameplay, the distance to cover and enemies to best before opening them has proved too great.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 12:15:48 am by shfan »

shfan

« Reply #3138 on: May 18, 2017, 04:00:49 am »
Follow up: after another couple of hours there's been a kind of *POP* and all of a sudden progress has been coming thick and fast, some item acquisitions have confirmed my suspicions about the initial items (to my mind), all I can suggest is you keep giving it a chance kamikazekeeg, it may evolve into something better.

« Reply #3139 on: May 18, 2017, 04:58:12 am »
Anyone else playing the game right now that can share their view on it?

*Potential spoilers for The Surge!*

TBH I don't think running direct comparisons with Souls is going to serve you well with this game or others like it, especially since FROM has essentially been making them since the first King's Field, that's a lot of practice, even then variations between titles like Bloodborne and DS II can become bones of contention. FROM got lucky, their throwback was released just when players were hankering after some old-skool punishment and the dawn of realization that a lot of babies were thrown out with the bathwater when developers just chucked away all the old genres and playstyles in favour of 3D action adventure mish-mashes that most games became during the 360/PS3 era. It's going to take some perfecting for other studios to come up to Souls' standards and they may well move away from it altogether in the same way other genres and sub-groups evolve.

I definitely agree that combat is tricky and lop-sided with regards to 'tells', it's so easy to get butchered when faced with an enemy you can normally beat no problem. Recently during gameplay there was a tutorial message about ducking/jumping and counter-attacking - christ, I have enough trouble just blocking or dodging, how am I supposed to do that?!?

With light VS heavy armour.. the way I'm looking at it is that both the starter sets are just that, most likely the later suits of armour will properly allow specialization IE lighter armour with massive speed boosts vs. heavy armour with noticeably improved defense ratings. I got a level 3 mod, for instance, which is twice as effective as the level 1 mod it replaced - that hints to the rig set-up blossoming later on in the game, with improving it across all areas dragging things slightly in your favour. Even then, armour points don't seem to do much at all to damage caused, it looks to be just how effective that slight defense bump is overall, which then gets combined with damage/speed bonuses, more effective healing etc. to make a full package.

For all that let's see if I can actually get further, I'm on the second area (sounds like you're the same) and have not managed to open a single shortcut for hours of gameplay, the distance to cover and enemies to best before opening them has proved too great.

Wait...Jumping and Ducking are a moveset? I didn't even know there was ducking in the game and I'm in the second area around the first Ops station.  Think I'm like 3 or 4 hours in so far.  And I can jump to dodge attacks? How am I supposed to utilize four different abilities when half the time the camera isn't even giving a good enough view to deal with faster strikes and so many areas are narrow as hell? I mean, I learned counter-attack easy enough, it's basic and lenient, but why does this game need more than just dodge and block?  Learning this has kinda made the game worse to me lol Now that I think back, I possibly did ducking on accident in a fight, but because I infrequently did it, I thought it was just some out of place aspect like getting hit or simply letting go of block and trying to run or move weird...

I'm sure it does open up as otherwise the game would get boring gear wise, but until it does, right now heavy seems like a pure disadvantage since you take so much damage either way.  I think the Goliath gear gave like a crush bonus for damage, I forget exactly, but that's not worth it if I can't dodge or strike quick enough to avoid unblockables or even just normal powerful strikes.

It is nice to hear it gets better, but I hate games so much that do this.  It's like when I was told that Final Fantasy XIII gets better, but you gotta play for like 20 hours to get to it.  Not that I think that game actually gets better, but I hate when games seemingly have that about them.  I mean, the Souls game had a rough learning curve, but once you figured out your weapons and limitations, the game only gets easier outside of bosses and surprises from new areas.  I am thinking of selling the game off to a friend here in a week, so maybe I'll try to play till then to see if anything does it for me, but right now I'm mostly finding myself annoyed with the game rather than having fun.

« Reply #3140 on: May 18, 2017, 09:18:12 am »
Welp, now that I know that the King's Field series is a precursor to the Souls franchise, the rest of the King's Field games are on my wishlist.

Thanks.  lol

guilty0fbeing

« Reply #3141 on: May 18, 2017, 09:20:40 am »
I received Little Nightmares last night. I want to start, but I have too many games going at once.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3142 on: May 18, 2017, 12:44:40 pm »
Welp, now that I know that the King's Field series is a precursor to the Souls franchise, the rest of the King's Field games are on my wishlist.

Thanks.  lol

I ADORE the King's Field games. I've played through them so many times.

I will give you fair warning though: It's a slow plod at first until you level-up a bit. The reason being is that your running is tied to your stamina, which is very low at first. And it has some very early, very ugly 3D graphics. (But for me, graphics aren't a big deal if I enjoy the game.)

But what's really cool about it, is that it's an entirely open-world (granted, with lots tunnels) that has no separations or loading times between areas. And this was during a time when such games just didn't exist yet because mostly the Saturn, SNES, and PS1 just couldn't do that (N64 wasn't out yet, this was a VERY early PS1 game).

But man, the sense of satisfaction you get when you discover new things or beat a particular hard area in that game is great, because the game really makes you figure out what to do, while leaving only small clues in the sparsely populated NPCs dialogue or the description of items you find.

shfan

« Reply #3143 on: May 18, 2017, 04:23:45 pm »
kamikazekeeg: After another few hours unlocking shortcuts and exploring I'd have to say it's still not -that- much improved, now up against the second boss and again it only takes a few hits before I'm snuffed. I think you called it right, I'll keep going with it for now but you're probably better off getting rid (just an opinion, but I can sympathize with games just not hitting the right spots).

ignition365: Very welcome  ;D Burningdoom's elaboration is spot-on, it's also worth mentioning that it's in the first person and the whole collect-your-souls after death thing isn't there, but you can see the foundations. Instant death from falling into the sea/lava etc., crumbling pathways, powerful monsters grouped together, uber-bosses hanging around early areas etc. etc.

It's funny, back when PS2/Xbox/GC were current, there was a market trader I bought games off who often talked to me about King's Field IV for the PS2, it was his favourite game. He always said people said it was too hard, but the exploration, difficulty and sneaking around corners all struck a chord with him. Nobody else was talking about it then, it was an obscure game that just came and went, but it's lead on to one of the most notable console series in recent memory.

azure

« Reply #3144 on: May 18, 2017, 06:08:28 pm »
I've been playing Unravel, just finished it today. I still have to go through the levels without dying to complete it though. Great game, love the story, music, environments, everything really. Recommend to anyone who likes platformers and aesthetically pleasing games like Flower and Journey. You can tell the love the team put into this game, it really shows if you read all the quotes/credits.

Flashback2012

« Reply #3145 on: May 18, 2017, 06:25:51 pm »
Been immersed in Zelda: BotW lately. The weapons breaking is damn annoying and I wouldn't have minded if they made it a hair more linear which is ironic because I'm often guilty of not following the beaten path in open-world games.  :P

guilty0fbeing

« Reply #3146 on: May 18, 2017, 10:54:23 pm »
Platypus on PSP

shepard11

« Reply #3147 on: May 19, 2017, 12:41:12 am »
Platypus on PSP

What the heck is that? I'm always looking for new and interesting games on my PSP

« Reply #3148 on: May 19, 2017, 03:09:47 am »
Decided I'd finally start playing Life is Strange since the first episode is free and they are working on another game.  Haven't played one of these choice story games in abit, since Walking Dead Season 2 and the first episode of Tales From The Borderlands that I started earlier this month.  The stories hook and characters seems interesting enough, not quite enough to jump in for 20 bucks, but I'll wait for the summer sale to offer it up for cheap as I believe it's dropped down to 50% and lower before.  Plus any game that has someone that says "Hella" in it, I'm cool with that lol

guilty0fbeing

« Reply #3149 on: May 19, 2017, 09:14:56 am »
Platypus on PSP

What the heck is that? I'm always looking for new and interesting games on my PSP

It's a cute 'em up, or a cute shmup. It's nothing amazing. However, I'm happy to own it.