Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 514879 times)

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #3240 on: July 01, 2017, 04:20:24 am »
Been going through the first Crash Bandicoot remake and so far it's a mixture of "This is fun" and "FUCK THIS LEVEL DESIGN!"  It leans more in favor of fun, but like 30% of the levels so far have some real annoying parts or what I think are outright bad levels.  I feel like this game is at its worst when there are lots of precise jumping with Crash going away from you.  A couple are okay, but when you have to be super precise or rely on one specific aspect with tons of jumps between check points, it becomes so frustrating.  I'm currently stuck on one on the third island that is almost entirely turtle bouncing and breakable floors, so even the tiniest mistakes screw you over and I am constantly jumping over the turtles because it gets annoying to judge the distance on them.

In the end, no matter how polished and nice it is, at it's core, it's still a wonky, mid-90's, PS1 era, 3D platformer, and to me, the best 3D platforming at the time was not on the PS1, but the N64.  I'm really hoping to see better progression in the series level design as I move forward into the other two games after the first.

exhuminator

« Reply #3241 on: July 01, 2017, 10:49:00 am »
to me, the best 3D platforming at the time was not on the PS1, but the N64
I wouldn't say you're wrong, but there are some really great 3D platformers on PS1. By that I mean Ape Escape, Klonoa, Jumping Flash 1 & 2, and Tail Concerto just to name a few. I never enjoyed Crash though, I found all the Crash games to be terribly overrated.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3242 on: July 01, 2017, 11:40:33 am »
Been going through the first Crash Bandicoot remake and so far it's a mixture of "This is fun" and "FUCK THIS LEVEL DESIGN!"  It leans more in favor of fun, but like 30% of the levels so far have some real annoying parts or what I think are outright bad levels.  I feel like this game is at its worst when there are lots of precise jumping with Crash going away from you.  A couple are okay, but when you have to be super precise or rely on one specific aspect with tons of jumps between check points, it becomes so frustrating.  I'm currently stuck on one on the third island that is almost entirely turtle bouncing and breakable floors, so even the tiniest mistakes screw you over and I am constantly jumping over the turtles because it gets annoying to judge the distance on them.

In the end, no matter how polished and nice it is, at it's core, it's still a wonky, mid-90's, PS1 era, 3D platformer, and to me, the best 3D platforming at the time was not on the PS1, but the N64.  I'm really hoping to see better progression in the series level design as I move forward into the other two games after the first.

I actually prefer the first Crash Bandicoot to the rest of the series because it has both 3D and 2D levels. The later ones thew out the 2D levels, which I missed.

And I totally agree that the best platforming was on the PS1 then, not the N64. N64 platformers tended to be collect-a-thons more than they were actually platformers. While PS1 platformers usually had some challenging, actual platforming.

« Reply #3243 on: July 01, 2017, 03:46:53 pm »
And I totally agree that the best platforming was on the PS1 then, not the N64. N64 platformers tended to be collect-a-thons more than they were actually platformers. While PS1 platformers usually had some challenging, actual platforming.

You misread that, because I said the opposite.  I think the N64 had better 3D platformers by a mile lol

Sucks to hear that they got rid of the 2D levels, mostly because it seems to be the only time the game has precise platforming to it.  On the other hand, if the improve the 3D levels, then it won't be so bad.  That's mostly the problem with Crash Bandicoot is just outright bad design in certain levels.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3244 on: July 01, 2017, 06:35:43 pm »
You misread that, because I said the opposite.  I think the N64 had better 3D platformers by a mile lol

:-[

« Reply #3245 on: July 02, 2017, 12:14:44 am »
Speaking of Crash Bandicoot, prior to picking up my copy today I started the Wrath of Cortex on the PS2. So far I have the first section finished and so far it seems okay but something about it seems off. Sure it plays like the previous 3 despite not being done by Naughty Dog but I dont know what about it seems off but nevertheless I will trek on.

shepard11

« Reply #3246 on: July 02, 2017, 11:16:18 pm »
Been playing a lot of Killer Instinct 2 Classic for the Xbox One. I starting to realize that my old hands aren't up to playing with a fight stick these days.

kashell

« Reply #3247 on: July 05, 2017, 10:15:02 am »
I've been playing Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World on the 3DS. It's adorable. I'm on the fourth world now and very close to finishing it. I've been 100% every stage so far because that's how we do.

telly

« Reply #3248 on: July 05, 2017, 12:59:42 pm »
I've been playing Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World on the 3DS. It's adorable. I'm on the fourth world now and very close to finishing it. I've been 100% every stage so far because that's how we do.

You should get a sponsorship from Rold Gold Pretzels or something for how MLG pro you are 8)
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

kashell

« Reply #3249 on: July 05, 2017, 04:04:56 pm »

You should get a sponsorship from Rold Gold Pretzels or something for how MLG pro you are 8)

That's not a bad idea since I do enjoy a good pretzel.

I'll need you to play the role of manager when that happens!

exhuminator

« Reply #3250 on: July 05, 2017, 07:29:55 pm »
I'm still playing Xenoblade Chronicles off and on, it's fairly fun so far (currently 21 hours in), but I wouldn't say the game has "hooked me". I just play it when I have a significant chunk of free time and enough energy to invest. I certainly enjoy the scenic vistas and exploration, but the combat system does nothing for me.

Outside that, I'm trying to find a decent DS adventure game to play. I've already beaten Hotel Dusk, Last Window, Trace Memory, Again: Eye of Providence, Unsolved Crimes, Ghost Trick, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney − Justice for All among others.

Although I really enjoyed the first Ace Attorney, I had to force myself through Justice for All (a precipitous drop in quality from the first game). I was trying to get through Trials & Tribulations but the amount of character rehash and juvenile writing just ruined it. I especially cannot stand Maya and her unceasing commentation every other second. I simply don't understand why Ace Attorney 1 was so good, but 2 and 3 faltered considerably. It's like Shu Takumi just choose to focus completely on the wrong things in the sequels. However, I am going to give Apollo Justice a try, hopefully having a new director and new writers will fix the issues 2 & 3 had.

I've also been messing with Jake Hunter: Memories of the Past, but not enough to render a verdict yet.

desocietas

« Reply #3251 on: July 06, 2017, 02:52:07 pm »
I'm still playing Xenoblade Chronicles off and on, it's fairly fun so far (currently 21 hours in), but I wouldn't say the game has "hooked me". I just play it when I have a significant chunk of free time and enough energy to invest. I certainly enjoy the scenic vistas and exploration, but the combat system does nothing for me.

Outside that, I'm trying to find a decent DS adventure game to play. I've already beaten Hotel Dusk, Last Window, Trace Memory, Again: Eye of Providence, Unsolved Crimes, Ghost Trick, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney − Justice for All among others.

Although I really enjoyed the first Ace Attorney, I had to force myself through Justice for All (a precipitous drop in quality from the first game). I was trying to get through Trials & Tribulations but the amount of character rehash and juvenile writing just ruined it. I especially cannot stand Maya and her unceasing commentation every other second. I simply don't understand why Ace Attorney 1 was so good, but 2 and 3 faltered considerably. It's like Shu Takumi just choose to focus completely on the wrong things in the sequels. However, I am going to give Apollo Justice a try, hopefully having a new director and new writers will fix the issues 2 & 3 had.

I've also been messing with Jake Hunter: Memories of the Past, but not enough to render a verdict yet.

I love DS adventure games and was excited to hear about Jake Hunter coming west. Totally can see how the AA series is a little uneven. I felt that especially with the Miles Edgeworth game, feeling like that was the weakest game in the series. I have heard the Great Ace Attorney games are very good, though very unlikely that we'll ever see it localized considering the heavy Japanese history apparently in that series.  Don't really have any other titles to suggest to you - looks like you've already tried the ones that I have. I love the Layton games though those often feel more like standard puzzles rather than a point and click sort of adventure.

Currently playing:
Have been very slowly going through Stormblood content in FFXIV and loving it. The new music, sound effects, environments, dungeons/trials, it's all amazing, and I'm kinda going slow through it so that I am not left wanting more when the main story stuff is over.

Have been craving a handheld game again, so I finally cracked open the copy of Final Fantasy (PSP) I gifted my bf a while back. It feels so different yet familiar. Don't know how long I'll stick with it (only about 20 min in or so), but it's nice to have something a little more old school to sit with.

One kinda nice thing so far - no tutorial. They throw you in and with very little hints as to what to do "save so-and-so, go north." I had to look at the instruction manual (!!!) to figure out that I could view a world map by pressing select+O. How would I ever have figured that out otherwise, lol.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

exhuminator

« Reply #3252 on: July 06, 2017, 03:17:47 pm »
I love the Layton games though those often feel more like standard puzzles rather than a point and click sort of adventure.

I've beaten Curious Village and Diabolical Box. They were fairly fun, but I agree they're not really adventure games in a traditional sense.

kevininja

« Reply #3253 on: July 11, 2017, 06:04:43 pm »
I've been playing a ton of XCOM: Enemy Unknown the last few days. I haven't played a ton of games of this genre, but this one is really nice!

I'm also planning to play Oniken and Jet Gunner, two NES inspired platformers.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 06:09:46 pm by kevininja »

kashell

« Reply #3254 on: July 16, 2017, 09:10:29 am »
I started Valkyria Revolution last night. It's weird. I'm disappointed by it, but I'm still having fun with it. Hopefully this isn't the last time we see the Valkyria name.