Author Topic: Retro game replacement labels  (Read 8966 times)

Warmsignal

Re: Retro game replacement labels
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 06:54:31 pm »
My guess is Adventure Island.

That would be the second correct answer of three.

soera

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 07:08:39 pm »
720 seems like one cause the thickness of the cardboard looks pretty thin.

Warmsignal

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 07:27:09 pm »
720 seems like one cause the thickness of the cardboard looks pretty thin.

Yep. I was pretty disappointed with that paper, but might as well use it as I have 250 sheets. Trying to do this with an inkjet is hard.

doafan

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2015, 01:13:59 pm »
So I have decided to start picking up crappy looking copies of higher end games (if they're cheap enough) and slapping on replacement labels.  I've been using an online vendor and his work is pretty flawless so far.  Not point on, but close enough.  They're for personal use and I was wondering what kind of experience everyone else has had.
Just wondering if those repro that you purchased had the Reproduction Label printed too ?, am trying to find a good seller that can manage to sell them to me but with out that line, need them for some NES titles  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

theflea

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2015, 02:21:31 am »
I personally avoid replacing labels if at all possible. But I understand if you do. just as long as the label has somewhere marked it is a reproduction label. If i found a really rare game but the label was ripped in half and it was too cheap to pass on, I would most likely look at a replacement label myself til I can find a better original label. But if it was faded, light tears, nicks and scratches no, I'd rather it have some wear then a perfect reproduction fake. I've turned down buying obscure games due to the label being damaged. The only thing I don't like about them is if I walked into a game store and bought a game thinking it had a mint label then find out it had a replacement label I would not be happy. To me a replacement label is the same as buying a game with a heavy damaged or missing label. If I replaced a label then wanted to sell it I'd list it as "REPLACED LABEL" and discount it heavy due to this. There's many collectors who would rather buy a missing label over a replaced one.

The other problem about replaced labels is that it makes people suspicious the game could be a reproduction too. If your buying a game for your own personal collection and just want it to look nice, then okay buy a new label, (make sure it says "reproduction" some where easy to see) but if your buying a game to sell/trade then it's better to leave it alone. let the buyer do that if they please. 

Please Do NOT buy replacement labels that do not have any markings they are reproductions. Even though you have no plans on selling a game now, in the future this will piss someone off once they find out it's fake. Also YOU might tell that buyer its fake, don't mean he will do the same.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 02:28:28 am by theflea »
"Happy game hunting!!!"

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 01:05:03 am »
Yes, the labels do say "reproduction label".
So I have decided to start picking up crappy looking copies of higher end games (if they're cheap enough) and slapping on replacement labels.  I've been using an online vendor and his work is pretty flawless so far.  Not point on, but close enough.  They're for personal use and I was wondering what kind of experience everyone else has had.
Just wondering if those repro that you purchased had the Reproduction Label printed too ?, am trying to find a good seller that can manage to sell them to me but with out that line, need them for some NES titles  ;D

doafan

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 12:28:09 pm »
Please Do NOT buy replacement labels that do not have any markings they are reproductions. Even though you have no plans on selling a game now, in the future this will piss someone off once they find out it's fake. Also YOU might tell that buyer its fake, don't mean he will do the same.
I understand your felling but in my particular case just want to have the most indentical label as possible, wont gonna make the same mistake that I did when I was younger, am talking about selling my gems  :'(

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 02:04:38 pm »
I understand your felling but in my particular case just want to have the most indentical label as possible, wont gonna make the same mistake that I did when I was younger, am talking about selling my gems  :'(

I completely agree with you man.  As long as the game looks great I don't care if it's a replacement or even some badass alternate art.