Author Topic: Xbox (original) - Problem Reading Disks  (Read 1375 times)

Xbox (original) - Problem Reading Disks
« on: December 31, 2014, 07:02:45 pm »
Hi all!

So, I have an original Xbox, and it appears to have a disk reading issue. I'll pop in a game, and it'll play for a while... perhaps 10 minutes? However, after a short time, it stops reading the disk and will either freeze or pull up a message saying it's having problems reading the disk.

I know the disc is not the problem, as this has occurred with two different ones I've tried to use.

I had taken it inside a house a long time ago (when I was younger) where people smoked, and I kinda think that it might have contracted some kind of smoke damage. But I doubt that that is the problem. Any ideas about what might be wrong?

byron

Re: Xbox (original) - Problem Reading Disks
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 07:40:24 pm »
Clean the laser lens. You can take apart the Xbox and clean it with a Q-Tip and alcohol if you have the right screwdriver. You can also buy a cleaning disc, but I don't know how well those work and a T20 Torx screwdriver is probably cheaper anyway.

Here's a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrMF1ve_1Rw

maximo310

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 08:29:25 pm »
Yeah it's most likely a laser lens problem. If cleaning it doesn't solve the problem, than you may need to replace the disk drive with one of 4 models of disk drives that the original xbox can use.

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 10:01:42 pm »
Alrighty, thanks for the suggestions! I'll try opening it up sometime and seeing if I can clean it properly.

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 11:49:51 am »
Also clean the rubber part of the spindle that helps hold the disc in place. If it gets too dirty the disc can slip when spinning and cause read issues.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 03:02:01 pm »
This is the most common issue I have had with all of my Original Xboxes.

It has been rarely due to a laser cleaning issue. Most of the disc drive lasers have just burned out (I assume).

I need to open them up and see if it is a common manufacturer of the drives. Normally the consoles were so cheap back in the day I would just buy a new one locally (this is when the 360 had already been released).

Let us know if cleaning solves yours. I would be curious to see if that was the issue.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01