Author Topic: What is going on at my Goodwill?  (Read 2671 times)

topspot123

What is going on at my Goodwill?
« on: January 08, 2015, 08:56:36 pm »

Dozens of copies of Dan in Real Life (DVD), some Disney Camp Rock and Cheetah Girls blu-rays, all $2; and...

Seriously, WTH?

Re: What is going on at my Goodwill?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 09:33:29 pm »
I would so buy a copy of epic yarn off you. ;)

topspot123

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 09:47:04 pm »

I didn't mention that they are selling Kirby $10 which is pretty much the going rate.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 09:53:36 pm »

I didn't mention that they are selling Kirby $10 which is pretty much the going rate.

Epic Yarn was panned across the board in reviews.

I've seen it sell for as little as $7 shipped. New.

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 10:07:04 pm »
lol I read it as 2 dollars. I thought 2 bucks was a far deal. hehe

Naww but that kinda stuff happens a lot. A retailer somewhere probably had a few unopened cases of those movies and games that they couldn't sell and instead of throwing them out or going through the effort of trying to sell them, made a donation.

topspot123

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 10:13:38 pm »

I actually think it's a pretty decent little game. 86 on metacritic. Not the best or my favorite Kirby game, but I'm glad I played it.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 10:37:44 pm »

I actually think it's a pretty decent little game. 86 on metacritic. Not the best or my favorite Kirby game, but I'm glad I played it.

Yeah, wouldn't be the first time a decent game got piles of hate.

maximo310

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 11:59:54 pm »
Hmm, I'm a bit confused, since many sites and boards gave this game high marks. I believe its one of the highest-rated Kirby games in recent history, and is pretty much a must have game for the Wii. I'd actually like to pick up a copy for cheap if possible, since I can't find it for a decent price in my area at all.

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 12:23:46 am »
I thought I read somewhere that Goodwill was opening up a line of used game stores. I really hope this never happens.

maximo310

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 12:30:08 am »
I thought I read somewhere that Goodwill was opening up a line of used game stores. I really hope this never happens.
I think there was one in North Carolina called the Grid which has most of the games at market price. The only thing similar to that near my area is the Computer Works stores, which have lots of cheap computer parts, as well as pretty good prices as well for games. They had most of their games for $2 each complete, and I managed to find a Pikmin 3 CIB copy at one of their stores for $25. I wish they had more of those Computer works stores, because that grid place seems to have no good deals on any games.

tripredacus

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 11:23:40 am »
Well that doesn't seem like a bad thing for a Goodwill. I pretty much stopped going to them around here... over the past 5 months they all got remodeled and raised the price on all media types. So now VHS is $1 and DVD is $3. Still OK prices but gone are the days of just buying tons of stuff because it was cheap, now I have to use my money wisely there as the total can pile up quick.

GrooDWanderer

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 11:53:25 am »
There's a Goodwill "bookstore" I stop by at about once a month or so. It's a tiny shop that only sells books and media. The prices roller-coaster like crazy. One month the video games were $3.99 each, the next they were 99 cents and the next month back up. ( Guess which month I stocked up.) Anyway, in addition to all the games and videos they usually have a steady influx of strategy guides for some reason. I've padded my collection well at this store since those are always $1.99 no matter what the size.
This is , BTW, the only Goodwill store that I frequent on a regular basis. All the others are weak. The offerings in the media sections are horrible which leads me to believe that they are posting more games and such online in order to make more money. The problem that I see with ALL of their listings (on ebay or wherever) is that they are lazy about it. They just list the item, use a stock picture, and don't guarantee what the game comes with or the condition. ( "May or may not come with manual or original case") And the prices are too high for the gamble of possibly getting a scratched disc in some generic DVD case.
As dangerous as a stampede of cattle...and almost as smart.

razorbeamz

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 12:18:26 pm »
At my Goodwill once there were HUNDREDS of sealed VHS copies of the 1977 animated The Hobbit movie.
My collection doesn't include my Steam or PSN games, just physical games.

topspot123

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 02:24:28 pm »
Even though Goodwill is a "non-profit", it's current leadership is out to make as much money as feasible.  This isn't to be taken as a dastardly thing, it is business after all, but this is where online auctions and opening game stores is coming from.

Warmsignal

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 04:52:44 pm »
I'd be so tempted to scarf up an Epic Yarn just to keep it sealed. But at $10? Eh, I dunno. If it was $2, I'd probably get $10 worth of em.

Oh and, Dan In Real Life was probably the lamest $7.50 I ever spent at a theater. I went and saw it because Steve Carell... At the time I was convinced that anything with him in it must be good because of Anchor Man. Wrong.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 05:04:19 pm by Warmsignal »