Author Topic: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia stealth reprint  (Read 1448 times)

Warmsignal

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia stealth reprint
« on: January 11, 2015, 01:59:47 am »
So following the influx of Calling for Wii that GameStop has seen in the past month, there's another title that should be popping up more and more at your location, Order of Ecclesia on the DS. This was the third installment in the DS trilogy, and is considered to be a sequel to Bloodlines, I believe.

I'm not sure if this is news or not, but I made the conclusion myself today after stopping by two GS locations and checking their dumpsters. What did I find? Two OoE cases and manuals, one at each location. Both appeared very fresh, except they that both had a slight blemish on the same exact area of the case. The manuals looked to be untouched, and had a freshly printed smell to them.

To be sure, the website now has pre-owned copies in stock. However, to most people it will be a "cart only" reprint, as reprints are designated as pre-owned and so being DS, that means chuck the case to save shelf room. So a lot of OoE cases and manuals will be hitting the landfill in the coming weeks. Nevertheless, it's an interesting choice for reprint, I didn't realize it was considered hard to find, although it does remain to be the last DS entry I need.

Re: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia stealth reprint
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 10:37:05 am »
I suppose I see how Gamestop hoarding games that are going up in value, opening them, and then re-releasing them as used at a markup is legal, but it seems highly unethical imo. I wouldn't be surprised if they are doing this. I'm sure there are at least another 10 games that are pretty hard to find at their stores that they are patiently holding onto, hoping the aftermarket prices climb, and then throwing in their store as used for a significant markup :/

argyle

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 02:43:25 pm »
I saw this at one of my local stores Friday as well.  I was actually disappointed, because Portrait of Ruin is the DS Castlevania that I still need the case & manual for.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Warmsignal

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 02:59:15 pm »
I suppose I see how Gamestop hoarding games that are going up in value, opening them, and then re-releasing them as used at a markup is legal, but it seems highly unethical imo. I wouldn't be surprised if they are doing this. I'm sure there are at least another 10 games that are pretty hard to find at their stores that they are patiently holding onto, hoping the aftermarket prices climb, and then throwing in their store as used for a significant markup :/

As long as they aren't gouging too hard, I don't mind. In the case of Calling, and OoE, the price they offer on each is a bit lower than the average BIN on eBay.

argyle

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 03:02:00 pm »

They aren't hoarding them tho, they're reprinting them - there have always been very minor differences, whether it's something stamped on the case or a serial # or something that allows you to tell the original run from the reprint. I think GS gets a LOT of grief for doing something that frankly no one else will do, which is reprinting games that people can't find anymore.
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

Warmsignal

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 03:03:51 pm »

They aren't hoarding them tho, they're reprinting them - there have always been very minor differences, whether it's something stamped on the case or a serial # or something that allows you to tell the original run from the reprint. I think GS gets a LOT of grief for doing something that frankly no one else will do, which is reprinting games that people can't find anymore.

I did read an article somewhere online where a spokesperson for GS confirmed they were working with publishers to reprint in high demand titles that are harder to find, and make them available at a pre-owned price.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 12:47:37 pm »
Was this game worth money before? I have a copy, but was a disappointed in it because I was wanting a new Metroidvania, but it was more of an area-by-area game. If it is, I might think about using it to sell or use as trade-bait.

argyle

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 02:11:01 pm »
Was this game worth money before? I have a copy, but was a disappointed in it because I was wanting a new Metroidvania, but it was more of an area-by-area game. If it is, I might think about using it to sell or use as trade-bait.

Wasn't worth that much afaik. And yeah, it was my least favorite of the DS Castlevania's too. Too hard for me, I made it to the tower crab & just couldn't beat it. That's pretty early on too, so I imagine it only gets harder.