Author Topic: Pricing according to game condition, do they still do that?  (Read 986 times)

Warmsignal

Pricing according to game condition, do they still do that?
« on: January 12, 2015, 12:57:51 pm »
Why does it seem like fewer people do this now? I go into retail stores and find an obliterated label on a cart, and they charge the same price as the good label. I've noticed there is no consideration for condition, at least not so much anymore. On eBay, if the game is not highly valuable or rare, then condition doesn't seem to effect value. The price difference is negligible. Even an Earthbound cart that has been thrashed is only $10 less on eBay than a good label cart.

I hate browsing eBay looking for a cart or disc only copy to complete a case that I have, only to find there is no discount for the incomplete ones. They're basically the same as buying a whole other complete game. So this idea I've always had about keeping cases around because I could save on getting the game only, I'm ready to throw out. Most of the time you can't save anything.  :'(

I dunno, I remember a time when condition seemed to matter more. If something was bad, or missing, the value was less. Not so much anymore. Maybe I'm ranting over isolated instances, but it really seems like something's different? :-\
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 01:04:09 pm by Warmsignal »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Pricing according to game condition, do they still do that?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 01:00:52 pm »
Retail stores that sell used have always done that in my area. It seems to only matter in online listings or on trade/gaming sites.

But at least you get to inspect the item in person at a retail store. And for me, condition isn't as important as playability. As long as it runs as intended, and the label is intact (on a cartridge), than I'm good (or course I'd rather have a game in complete condition, but I won't pass up a cartridge/disc only copy of a game I want for cheap).

maximo310

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 09:16:23 pm »
I've seen people try to do this for certain games, but depending on the price, the reactions range and it's not a practice too many people follow in stores/ebay since they are usually focused on selling inventory. I personally like having decent looking games, so inspection is a somewhat important factor when I'm looking for cib copies of games. However, I'm cool with disc/cart-only copies if I can get them at a cheap price compared to a cib copy elsewhere, and if I can't, I look elsewhere or buy it online from someone else.

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 10:13:51 am »
GameStop doesn't do it as they only value the game itself.  Literally, nothing else needs to be included.  You'll get the same for trading in just a game disk as you would a collector's edition, because they don't care about that.  They'll give you your money, and an employee will take the remaining pieces of that collector's edition home or toss it in the trash.

For bigger places, it's just a corporate bottom line to make training employees and dealing with customers easier and placing it all on the same level.

gf78

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 01:29:43 pm »
Why does it seem like fewer people do this now? I go into retail stores and find an obliterated label on a cart, and they charge the same price as the good label. I've noticed there is no consideration for condition, at least not so much anymore. On eBay, if the game is not highly valuable or rare, then condition doesn't seem to effect value. The price difference is negligible. Even an Earthbound cart that has been thrashed is only $10 less on eBay than a good label cart.

I hate browsing eBay looking for a cart or disc only copy to complete a case that I have, only to find there is no discount for the incomplete ones. They're basically the same as buying a whole other complete game. So this idea I've always had about keeping cases around because I could save on getting the game only, I'm ready to throw out. Most of the time you can't save anything.  :'(

I dunno, I remember a time when condition seemed to matter more. If something was bad, or missing, the value was less. Not so much anymore. Maybe I'm ranting over isolated instances, but it really seems like something's different? :-\

I've noticed that a lot too and it makes me even more cautious when purchasing games.  Without a doubt for me, condition, completeness and version type weigh heavily in my purchasing decisions.  First and foremost, the game has to be complete as far as CD/DVD based games go.  Second consideration is condition.  Is the manual beat up with stains on it?  Is the disc all scratched up?  Nearly as important as that and depending on the games-sometimes more important-is if it's an original or Greatest Hits version.  I've passed up many a PlayStation game because I didn't want the Greatest Hits version with the hideous green label. 

I'm particularly picky when it comes to Genesis carts.  If I buy a Genesis game, I want it complete in the box with the manual.  Why?  If I just want to play the game, I have various compilation titles like Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection on the PS3.  Therefore for me, the condition and completeness from a collectability standpoint is a deciding factor on buying the original carts.

So IMHO, condition & completeness should absolutely have a strong bearing on the price being asked.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 01:35:09 pm by gf78 »
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us