Author Topic: Best 'classic' PC to begin collecting for?...  (Read 9075 times)

Best 'classic' PC to begin collecting for?...
« on: January 20, 2015, 03:14:20 am »
Even though I hardly ever seem to buy new (old) consoles nowadays (as I'm trying to work on my game library instead of my console hoard xP  ), I've been watching some of LGR's videos on YouTube. So, I'm just curious, what is the best PC machine (or whatever technical term should be used) to begin collecting for?

When I say best, I'm considering the following factors:

1. Price for the machine
2. Average game prices
3. Other initial investments/upgrades required (memory upgrade, etc.)
4. User-friendliness (learning how to operate the machine, ability to upgrade if/when necessary, etc.)

As always, I'm sure that this isn't something I'll immediately begin doing, but this information is always handy to have. xD I also understand that there are factors, such as game genres and such, that can determine what machines are best for an individual. However, I'm just looking for a general answer based on the above criteria.

Also, any suggested places of where to purchase (Ebay is the obvious one) would also be appreciated. Suggested games are also welcome, as are any suggestions in general, really.  :D

koemo1

PRO Supporter

Re: Best 'classic' PC to begin collecting for?...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 04:32:28 am »
If you want to play commodore and ZX spectrum and you dont live in Europe I'm afraid you have to import many of the awesome titles. Don't forget you might have to import the PC itself which has lots of shipping costs.
Collecting for the Amiga might be a little easier in the US.
C64 does have a TON of games, well over ten thousand titles which makes it well worth it! Games like Contra, Castlevania, Pirates!, Wasteland, Turican II, Ultima series and Last Ninja are some of the amazing games they could pull of on that good old C64!
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 06:57:33 am »
Intel i5-4570
Geforce 650ti
8 gig ram

basically my PC  :P

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 09:32:11 am »
LOL I was just thinking last night that I'd like to start collecting old PC games. Not as old as you're talking about, but ones released between the late 80s to early 2000s. I have enough fond memories of PC during this time to justify starting this collecting. I just need to build a machine that can run these old games :p

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 10:25:17 am »
Oooh well my knowledge doesnt stretch that far xd
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

foxhack

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 01:56:53 pm »
Build your own machine from older parts and go from there.

I really wouldn't suggest going for any of the European PC systems... unless you're actually European. Voltage and TV signal converters, shipping costs, and the like add up VERY QUICKLY.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 02:00:53 pm »
If you can find one locally, Commodore 64. It was the Rolls-Royce of early-to-mid 80s gaming machines. Best graphics for the time and soooo many games released on it. It's also cheap as all hell to collect for because it was so incredibly easy to copy games/programs for the C64. Released mostly on floppy disks, but there were also cassette tape releases (I never had a cassette drive, and I never missed it, though.)

The biggest downside is if you can't find one locally. Because these machines and their power bricks are HEAVY. The shipping cost will kill you.

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 02:34:14 pm »
If you're looking for pc games from late 80's and up you don't need an older system for most of them.  Between dos box and windows having an option to install with an older version when you load the game you can finagle I'd say at least 90% to work without much difficulty.  I don't know much about the legit old stuff, but I wouldn't be surprised if within the next few years they come out with more stuff like dosbox to play commodore, apple, or whatever you want on newer computers

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 03:55:51 pm »
Thanks everyone!

I think I'd mostly be interested in older games (floppy disks and such), if I do ever go down that collecting road. I grew up with consoles/handhelds, so I haven't traditionally been interested in PCs, but with how cheap the games are, I thought it might be fun to try collecting.

It seems like the Commodore is pretty popular, so I will keep that in mind. Imports wouldn't be a problem. Though it does seem that obtaining a machine would be.

I'll probably ask my Professor here at college to keep an ear out for anyone selling old tech. He's a computer guy, so it's possible He might know some people who are willing to sell old machines (or might even want to sell one of his old ones).

foxhack

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 06:54:02 pm »
I don't know much about the legit old stuff, but I wouldn't be surprised if within the next few years they come out with more stuff like dosbox to play commodore, apple, or whatever you want on newer computers

They already exist... sorta.

Commodore has Amiga Forever, which is a legal commercial emulator released by the Commodore / Amiga rightsholders that includes all the necessary files to run games. It also includes a LOT of games in the package.

Apple... well there's some system emulators that emulate the entire system but the programs are not very user friendly, and actually playing anything that isn't on CD is a complete pain. (Apple floppies aren't always compatible with standard floppy drives, and CDs use a different file system so they're not easily rippable on a Windows machine.) Plus the programs don't always work on modern operating systems because they're open source and the releases are old and have not been updated due to lack of time by the devs. What I played on my old machine was great, but it's just a pain for a newbie.

argyle

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 10:58:31 pm »
You should also keep in mind that those old 5 1/4 floppies weren't the most reliable things even when new, and now after 30 years or so you'll be running the risk of game disks being corrupted (unreadable).
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 02:37:32 am »
You should also keep in mind that those old 5 1/4 floppies weren't the most reliable things even when new, and now after 30 years or so you'll be running the risk of game disks being corrupted (unreadable).

I would actually have to disagree here. I have a couple of hundred 5 1/4 floppies. Some from the 80s, some newer. What is remarkable about them is that they actually seem to be better in terms of reliability when compared to later formats like the 3,5" floppy disks. I rarely encounter any disk read errors.

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 11:37:05 am »
What is a classic PC? Are we talking just PC before the 90's? Or do you mean computers in general and not just PC's? If the latter Atari 8-bit.

Looking at the rest of the thread, looks like people forgot PC was not what computers were called if not by IBM or using their components back in the day, actually, wasn't even that long ago. (of course, MAC is really the only non-pc left, along with Chrome Books.)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 12:37:13 pm »

I would actually have to disagree here. I have a couple of hundred 5 1/4 floppies. Some from the 80s, some newer. What is remarkable about them is that they actually seem to be better in terms of reliability when compared to later formats like the 3,5" floppy disks. I rarely encounter any disk read errors.

While I don't have as many floppies as you, I agree. None of mine ever had errors, either. Even ones I had re-written 20 times over.

You just have to keep them away from magnets.

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 08:05:20 am »
What is a classic PC? Are we talking just PC before the 90's? Or do you mean computers in general and not just PC's? If the latter Atari 8-bit.

Looking at the rest of the thread, looks like people forgot PC was not what computers were called if not by IBM or using their components back in the day, actually, wasn't even that long ago. (of course, MAC is really the only non-pc left, along with Chrome Books.)

I'm confused as to the intention also. From the 1st post i assumed he meant 80's/90's Home Computers (C64, CPC, Amiga etc), but others are responding with descriptions of what used to be known as IBM/PC Compatible's.

Some clarification is due methinks.