Author Topic: Category/Platform Requests 2015  (Read 8394 times)

tpugmire

Category/Platform Requests 2015
« on: January 29, 2015, 11:04:06 am »
If there is a new category or platform that you would like to see in the database, request it here.  Please only request categories/platforms that you actually own items/games for.  We don't want to fill up the database with empty categories.  All requests will be researched by the staff, and added if we feel it is necessary.  Currently, only two staff members are capable of adding categories, so the process may take some time.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

abe

Re: Category/Platform Requests 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 11:39:30 am »
A Clone Console category would be greatly appreciated. There's plenty of Hyperkin, Retro-Bit, and other brands of clone consoles already in the database that could use their own category.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 01:51:44 pm »
Here are some categories not yet executed from the earlier thread that I'm looking forward to:

Commodore 64 Floppy Disks [EU]
Commodore 64 Accessory
Atari ST Hardware

retroone

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 04:00:28 pm »
A Clone Console category would be greatly appreciated. There's plenty of Hyperkin, Retro-Bit, and other brands of clone consoles already in the database that could use their own category.
This would be a great place to put the Retron 5

pacpix

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 01:55:23 am »
Nintendo 3DS eShop [AU]
  • Item currently in the database needs to be moved to this category
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

rachel

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 04:41:24 am »
Casio Loopy Accessory [JP], please!

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 06:23:24 am »
Technically, this is not a request for a new category but to change/rename one - Tandy Color Computer. For some reason Tandy has a category but only has the hardware subcategory and Tandy games are under "Other/TRS-80"
As well, even though all Radio Shack computers can be put under a TRS-80 umbrella the Color Computers are completely different machines from the TRS-80 Model computers, the former being based on the 6809 processor and the latter based on the Z-80. It would be like putting the C64 and Amiga all mashed together in one category.

Thanks for your consideration :)

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 12:07:39 pm »
Here are some categories not yet executed from the earlier thread that I'm looking forward to:

Commodore 64 Floppy Disks [EU]
Commodore 64 Accessory
Atari ST Hardware

Also

Commodore 64 Disk [NA]

Not sure if need to specifically have it "Floppy Disk" ...

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 05:37:51 am »
For multiple platforms (e.g. psvita & ps3), add an Asia [AS] category for each

gamingpenguin

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 07:44:21 am »
For multiple platforms (e.g. psvita & ps3), add an Asia [AS] category for each

This would be good for the Xbox one also, I have been adding games for the system to keep it up to date, but there is nowhere to put the Japanese games. I don't think there is many, I have only came across one, so a whole thing for Japanese games I don't think would be necessary, But maybe one for Asian games?

tripredacus

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 10:35:07 am »
Game categories are typically split up between release countries. Such as:
[CN] China
[JP] Japan
[HK] Hong Kong

Are there games you find that have a wider release that do not fit into these categories?

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 02:29:41 am »
Game categories are typically split up between release countries. Such as:
[CN] China
[JP] Japan
[HK] Hong Kong

Are there games you find that have a wider release that do not fit into these categories?

Mainly talking about Playstation games - there isn't a suitable category for PS vita/PS3/PS4 games yet - unless you put it in JP category - since some games are released as Asia version but in-game language is just like the JPN version - but cover art may be slightly different. Also, a [CN] China version game isn't seen often for Playstation games (I haven't actually seen one yet) - if you go visit the online game stores you would usually see the HK or TW versions (I've only seen subtitles in traditional Chinese - often with multiple languages too) but they are all categorized under ASIA - unless people want to be very specific about the category to put it in, I think CN/HK/TW can all be combined into one category (as Asia category - they are all under the Playstation network in Asia anyways (https://asia.playstation.com/) ). However, it might be good to have a separate category for Korea version games in this case, since their cover art may be slightly different and in Korean language too.

tripredacus

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 10:41:12 am »
IMO, I do not think Japan should be lumped into "Asia" concerning a video game category. If anything, Asia could be handled separately, and treated like the [EU] categories mostly are, where you put the locale in the game title.

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 08:02:17 pm »
IMO, I do not think Japan should be lumped into "Asia" concerning a video game category. If anything, Asia could be handled separately, and treated like the [EU] categories mostly are, where you put the locale in the game title.

You are right - Japan shouldn't be lumped into the "Asia"category (if you look at Playstation Network [Asia] - it doesn't include Japan either) - I'm mainly talking about CN/HK/TW here. As stated, countries like Korea & Japan should be separated - since their covert arts will usually be different in some way.

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 08:26:02 pm »

And yes, Asia should be handled separately and treated like the [EU] category, but currently there isn't one. For example: Sword Art Online (http://vgcollect.com/item/67915) - people are currently putting Asia version games into the JPN category at the moment because there isn't a category for it.