Author Topic: Power Supplys?  (Read 1473 times)

Power Supplys?
« on: December 17, 2015, 04:35:46 am »
Just a question on exactly what should or should not be in the database. This for example:

http://vgcollect.com/item/65658

Should we really keep track of Power Supplys?

Re: Power Supplys?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 07:30:00 am »
If the item was sold separately it can stay. If it was part of a greater package than it should be removed.

gf78

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 11:58:02 am »
If "bundled items" were all listed separately, it would be a nightmare.  A NES system could potentially be listed as six or more items if they were all broken down individually! 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 12:50:12 pm »
It's pretty much already like that. Just take a look at the NES accessories.

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 12:59:43 pm »
I don't generally track my accessories, because I have like 10 snes controllers, 2 snes adapters, and 7 nes ac adapters, but I only own 3 NES and 4 SNES.

gf78

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 01:04:14 pm »
I don't generally track my accessories, because I have like 10 snes controllers, 2 snes adapters, and 7 nes ac adapters, but I only own 3 NES and 4 SNES.

In my collection list, if I have multiples of something like a PlayStation controller, I just list one item and put "I have four of these" in the comments.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 01:11:40 pm »

In my collection list, if I have multiples of something like a PlayStation controller, I just list one item and put "I have four of these" in the comments.
Not a horrible idea, but I actually use the android app a lot and it doesn't show notes.

Also, my mindset is elsewhere.  I'm using the database to price my collection for insurance and developing an application to do that for me, taking notes into account complicates thing, but once I get there that might just be what I'll have to do.

But on the other hand, if you consider one controller a part of your collection, why not count the other 30 PS2 controllers.  I have a lot of controllers for no reason at all.

gf78

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 03:47:48 pm »

Not a horrible idea, but I actually use the android app a lot and it doesn't show notes.

Also, my mindset is elsewhere.  I'm using the database to price my collection for insurance and developing an application to do that for me, taking notes into account complicates thing, but once I get there that might just be what I'll have to do.

But on the other hand, if you consider one controller a part of your collection, why not count the other 30 PS2 controllers.  I have a lot of controllers for no reason at all.

LOL...that's more on the extreme side of things as far as my collection goes!  It's just what works for me and honestly, I don't have 30 PS2 controllers!   :P 

For my personal tracking that is just for the sake of my old mind not working well any longer, it works best for me.  Obviously, things like different colored memory cards get their own listing.  But If I listed every double I had such as five copies of each issue of Walmart Gamecenter Magazine, I would have another 300+ entries for all those doubles.  Likewise, I don't count bundled games separately from the console they come with.  Otherwise, I would have doubles of Uncharted the Nathan Drake Collection and Destiny the Taken King as two of my PS4's have them bundled in.

It's always interesting to hear other's viewpoints on things.  But back to the OT, if that example power block wasn't sold separately, then it shouldn't count as a separate listing IMO.

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 01:47:23 am »
And in response to what people are saying in this thread, in this actual example, the Power Supply was always included with the purchase of a new Commodore 64. I never saw them as stand alone items back in the day so I'm going to request it's removal in the other thread :)

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 08:08:55 am »
And in response to what people are saying in this thread, in this actual example, the Power Supply was always included with the purchase of a new Commodore 64. I never saw them as stand alone items back in the day so I'm going to request it's removal in the other thread :)
I will say though, that my C64 power supply looks nothing like that.

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 11:45:53 am »
I will say though, that my C64 power supply looks nothing like that.

There are two main variants I believe. This one in this thread is for the older "breadbox" variant. The newer Commodore 64c (which looks more like a C128 or an Amiga) has a much nicer looking power supply :)