Author Topic: Cant get a Gamecube game to play. Any suggestions?  (Read 1442 times)

theflea

Cant get a Gamecube game to play. Any suggestions?
« on: February 12, 2015, 10:07:11 pm »
I have a rare Gamecube game and it's having issues playing.
It's not the gamecube it self, I ran it in several GC and all the GC's play other discs fine.
The game will start then give me a disc error. I have gotten the game to play a couple times but most of the time I get the error.
The disc is in great shape, no cracks or damage on the top. It was bought used. I even took it to a professional to have cleaned and still wont read. The disc looks almost new.
If anyone has any tips to get a gamecube game like this to work, let me know. Kinda hate to see this rare game go to waste.  :-\
"Happy game hunting!!!"

thecrypticodor

Re: Cant get a Gamecube game to play. Any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 10:53:30 pm »
If you've gotten it resurfaced than that's all you really can do. If there is a scratch on the label side that penetrated through to the data layer that's underneath than that can cause permanent data loss. You can check for that and also disc rot by holding the disc up to a light source and checking if you can see light penetrating through the disc's foil data layer.
It could also just be defective. I had a a copy of Xenogears that would play into a certain point of the game than freeze there every time despite the disc being completely flawless. I tried copying the disc's image to my computer and sure enough it reported unreadable/bad sectors.

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 01:38:06 am »
It could also just be defective. I had a a copy of Xenogears that would play into a certain point of the game than freeze there every time despite the disc being completely flawless.

Same happened to me with Modern Warfare. The exact spot in the game caused it to crash every time. The screen would just lock up. Luckily the game was new and I was able to return it for a different copy.

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 06:18:02 am »
I ran it in several GC and all the GC's play other discs fine.
Did you try to run it on Wii?
Maybe try run this game on modded GC with chip to run pirated copies.

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 09:36:10 am »
Does the disc work in other systems? Is your system able to read other games? Is there any missing paint on the top of the disc? What game are you trying to run?

theflea

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 03:43:43 pm »
- Disc was used in many different systems and all have problems playing it.

- There is no damage to the top of the disc. Put it up to the light and no holes or cracks can be seen through it.

- I had it professionally cleaned and the disc looks like new and still can't read.

- The game WILL start up, but I get error message before it can get to title screen.

I bought it from a used game store cheap, and it worked when the store tested it. And it worked when I first got it then sometime later I put it in my gamecube and i get an error. I hand clean the disc and try it and it worked. a day later I try it and error. I clean it, error, I get it professionally cleaned and still error every time. 
If it wasn't a copy of Gotcha Force I wouldn't care quite so much in trying to save it. Look up what this game sells for and you'll understand why. lol 
"Happy game hunting!!!"

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 04:38:41 pm »
Might sound simple but check pal of ntsc.

Otherwise you can try a pot tweak. Its making the laser more powerfull. Google it for how to.

ffxik

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 08:17:54 pm »
Definitely a problem with the disc.  What though, I'm not sure.  I had a similar problem with a copy of Xenogears.  I couldn't find anything wrong with it so I gave it to pceslayer, he knew of my problems with it beforehand.   He is the one that contacted me letting me know I had overlooked 3 really small areas in the label that had been damaged and rendered it unplayable.  It could be you just haven't found the problem yet due to frustration with the scenario as a whole.   

It also doesn't need to have cracks or holes to have a problem.  All it needs is an edge or corner to put enough pressure on the disc to alter the data layer.  In the right spot the smallest of altercations would prove fatal.  I only put that out there because in my ignorant youth I tried putting my name on some cds I owned with a ball point pen. Hilarity ensued on that one.   ::)

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 12:40:20 am »
I would think it's more than likely the disc, but you could try to boost the laser as fazerco suggested. It's not hard to do.