Author Topic: Any Ways to Have Custom Platforms  (Read 1270 times)

Any Ways to Have Custom Platforms
« on: November 28, 2014, 05:33:43 pm »
I was just wondering if there is a way to have a custom platform.

foxhack

Re: Any Ways to Have Custom Platforms
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 05:57:04 pm »
No, there isn't.

What are you trying to add?

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 06:03:46 pm »
I am trying to add a game that is both Mac and PC.

foxhack

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 06:12:34 pm »

Oh, yeah, that's a problem. If this is a physical game, then please add it under PC, and add "(PC + Mac)" at the end of the title.

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 03:19:43 pm »

Oh, yeah, that's a problem. If this is a physical game, then please add it under PC, and add "(PC + Mac)" at the end of the title.
Why don't add it under Mac, and add "(Mac + PC)" at the end of the title? I think that the best will be add it twice: under Mac, and under PC.

foxhack

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 07:39:23 pm »
Because that's a duplicate entry.

I've seen various games, like Myst, with PC only, Mac only, and PC+Mac hybrid versions. There's no point in having two versions of the same hybrid item across two platforms. Some modern games already support PC+Mac (at least) out of the box, and we stick those on PC.

psydswipe

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 06:12:28 am »
I'm bumping this old topic because I just added a PC/Mac hybrid and wasn't sure if there was a hybrid platform. I was just going to put it on PC when I couldn't find one on the platform page but decided to see if this has come up before and there are likely many already in the database (I checked some others and they are in PC with no indication of being a hybrid). I wouldn't have thought to add (PC+Mac) to the title and I don't see this in the Style Guide so you might want to add it. On the other hand, you might also want to reconsider how you handle hybrids because there are a lot of them. For the database I work on we have more than 2,800 PC/Mac hybrid releases. I know there are a few other types of hybrids from the '80s too that would contain diskettes for Apple II, Commodore 64, and IBM PC in the same box (example: http://pics.mobygames.com/images/covers/large/1299585039-00.jpg). Those would be a pain to make hybrid platforms for of course and there probably aren't too many so in those cases I think you'd just enter one for each platform even though they'd be duplicates.