Author Topic: I need an intervention! Help keep me away from my ebays and paypal!  (Read 4658 times)

Re: I need an intervention! Help keep me away from my ebays and paypal!
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 10:30:27 pm »
Yeah,

I'm getting a little ridiculous with the ebaying, forum sales, etc. I'm not always like this.

Most of the time I'm quite responsible and reserved.

But every now and then I just go off the deep end browsing ebay till late at night and rummaging through Atari Age and RF Generation for sale threads. :) I think I have something like 16 games en-route to my house right now via various channels and I just stopped myself from buying a $5,000 Coffee table modeled after an NES controller.

But still I hunger for video games!

Am I the only one?

I'm usually a bit more conservative as well when it comes to Ebay. I signed up for that Paypal Credit and I'm hoping not to get in trouble with it LOL. My Goal is to only use it for interest free financing and pay it off in full before splurging again. So far so good....

argyle

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 12:00:45 am »
As far as ebay goes, for things I'd really like to have I just set my sniper bot to a price that I'd be happy with winning it at & then forget it. If I win, then the price was definitely right, and if not then it was more than I wanted to pay in the first place.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 02:33:13 am »
Yeah,

I'm getting a little ridiculous with the ebaying, forum sales, etc. I'm not always like this.

But every now and then I just go off the deep end browsing ebay till late at night and rummaging through Atari Age and RF Generation for sale threads. :) I think I have something like 16 games en-route to my house right now via various channels and I just stopped myself from buying a $5,000 Coffee table modeled after an NES controller.

Am I the only one?

Yeah it's like you buy shit and you don't even know you bought something until it arrives and you're like "oh yeah I ordered that?"

Fortunately it's all (mostly) wish list items. I'm just getting tired of waiting until next paycheck only for something to be either crazy more expensive or no longer available at all.

I've seen some games quadruple in price in just a month.

It's made it impossible for me to resist BIN's when I see them for a reasonable price.

Argyle, I need a sniper bot. I've lost too many auctions by a penny at the last second.

3DO Gun
Blackthorne
and
Parasite Eve 1 & 2 CIB bundle I lost that way. :/
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 02:35:58 am by dashv »

psydswipe

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 05:42:25 am »
I understand what your going through, I try not to go to crazy myself.
I try and use "make offer" a lot, just because 90% of the time i get shot down. lol

I had to look up this coffee table, I don't know if it's the one you saw but something don't add up....
They sell it at a buy it now for $10, with $499 shipping, then you go to details and he says "cost $1000.00"
Its cool as hell and I'd love one myself, but no way I want to drop that much for one. and the way he prices it is confusing.

Link in case you want to see it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/On-Sale-FUNCTIONAL-NINTENDO-NES-COFFEE-TABLE-zelda-mario-link-/261749244873?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf17883c9

I think the pricing has something to do with the way ebay fees work. They'll take a percentage of the sale price but I don't believe the shipping is part of that so the seller is just trying to avoid paying ebay more than a few cents.

gf78

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 09:33:40 am »
I try and use "make offer" a lot, just because 90% of the time i get shot down. lol

I had to look up this coffee table, I don't know if it's the one you saw but something don't add up....
They sell it at a buy it now for $10, with $499 shipping, then you go to details and he says "cost $1000.00"
Its cool as hell and I'd love one myself, but no way I want to drop that much for one. and the way he prices it is confusing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/On-Sale-FUNCTIONAL-NINTENDO-NES-COFFEE-TABLE-zelda-mario-link-/261749244873?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf17883c9

I think the pricing has something to do with the way ebay fees work. They'll take a percentage of the sale price but I don't believe the shipping is part of that so the seller is just trying to avoid paying ebay more than a few cents.

Being an eBay buyer and occasional seller, I can tell you that eBay just keeps raising and raising their fees and you are correct that they don't charge fees on shipping.  Sellers used to put high shipping costs on a lower-priced item and balance it out.  This way they avoided paying as much in fees.  However, eBay is attempting to counter this by having limits set on how much you can charge for shipping.  It also happens to be a real pain in the ass when you are selling multiple items in one auction.  eBay almost forces you to use their item search which pre-fills info in. 

So say you are selling a group of games and you use "Chrono Cross" for the pre-fill info.  You may have 15 lbs. of games in the lot, but eBay tries to force you to stay at shipping for Chrono Cross which is about three bucks.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 10:14:21 am »
Yeah,

Am I the only one?

Its actually sites like VG that make you spend on Ebay.

I also see stuff here that people post and think, hey i dont have that, lets look on Ebay  ::)

gf78

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 10:38:49 am »
Yeah,

Am I the only one?

Its actually sites like VG that make you spend on Ebay.

I also see stuff here that people post and think, hey i dont have that, lets look on Ebay  ::)

You speak the truth my friend.  I've been getting envious seeing all the Castlevania collections.   :o
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

davifus

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 11:58:27 am »
One of us one of us one of us
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 12:29:46 pm »
Do we need like AA meetings for us with eBay?

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2015, 01:06:40 pm »

Ive always had bad luck with ebay. Twice ive used it and both times the person tried to fuck me over.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

gf78

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2015, 01:55:47 pm »

Ive always had bad luck with ebay. Twice ive used it and both times the person tried to fuck me over.

That totally baffles me.  I've heard a lot of people say how horrible their eBay experiences have been, but with nearly 2000 different transactions both buying & selling, there has only been a handful of times when I have had an issue.  The most recent was when I went on a Tekken buying streak, I hunted specifically for a copy of Tekken 6, mint with the metallic slipcase.  Found one in New York.  Guy marked it as shipped but it never came.  He wouldn't answer my messages.  Filed with eBay, they gave him his five days to reply.  He never did and they refunded every cent of my money.  Found the game the same day I got my money back for half the price, bought it and a copy of Capcom Puzzle World for the PSP.  So it worked out in my favor after a small bit of aggravation.

argyle

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2015, 02:22:23 pm »
I've only had a couple of buying issues. One, last year, was where this lady canceled the auction after I won claiming that she didn't have it, then relisted it. So I wasn't out anything, but it was annoying.

The second was where I bought a Radiata Stories poster from some guy.  Took him forever to ship it, he finally apologized & said he was going to send me some extra stuff to make up for it. The poster finally arrived not in a tube but rolled up & put diagonally in a box...so you can imagine that something was sat on the box at some point creasing the poster in the middle of the roll - so right down the middle. :| He refunded me, but I was more upset at the loss of the poster since no one else had it listed.

EDIT: on the flip side, I had a very good experience last year. Bought the first Ar Tonelico from some lady who said her ex had left all his games with her & told her to do whatever she wanted with them. Used a buy it now & got a very good price on it. Before she shipped I contacted her & told her that I had noticed the second game in the background of one of her photos but didn't see it listed, and asked if she was going to be selling it (it also didn't show as a sold listing by her). She said she had had it listed before but the listing expired & no one had bought it, so she was planning on relisting it. Long story short, I worked out a great deal with her for both games and it turns out that while the second one's CE box was open the game itself is still factory sealed. So I'd say from my experience there are more good, honest sellers than frauds on ebay, you just have to be careful & protect yourself.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 02:28:26 pm by argyle »
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

gf78

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2015, 02:31:07 pm »
I've only had a couple of buying issues. One, last year, was where this lady canceled the auction after I won claiming that she didn't have it, then relisted it. So I wasn't out anything, but it was annoying.

The second was where I bought a Radiata Stories poster from some guy.  Took him forever to ship it, he finally apologized & said he was going to send me some extra stuff to make up for it. The poster finally arrived not in a tube but rolled up & put diagonally in a box...so you can imagine that something was sat on the box at some point creasing the poster in the middle of the roll - so right down the middle. :| He refunded me, but I was more upset at the loss of the poster since no one else had it listed.

Stuff like that is aggravating, but you got your money back in the end.  So it wasn't too terrible.  Since you brought up posters, I figured I would tell this.

Last Tuesday, I received my Club Nintendo Super Smash Bros. 3-poster set.  I opened it, carefully unrolled them and looked at them.  I then listed them for sale on eBay, auction style starting at $15.99.  Fair price since a regular plain-Jane poster costs $5-$6.  They end today around 5PM and when I last looked, they had been bid up to $46.  I figured since I basically got them for free, $16 would be a fair price with free shipping.  I'm going to use the money I make from them to buy a copy of Spyro the Dragon black label (one of those I want a really nice copy of) and probably some other PS1 game on my hit list. 

foxhack

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2015, 02:48:57 pm »

... this listing is a joke.

First of all, there is no way shipping is that expensive. I used the USPS' shipping calculator, and shipping a 40 lb. large package from their city to mine (Calexico, CA) via Standard Mail (Parcel) costs $70. And Priority would cost $90. SERIOUSLY! Even taking into consideration signature confirmation, packaging costs, and insurance, it wouldn't cost more than $120 to ship this PRIORITY MAIL (2-3 day shipping).

Oh, and the insurance won't cover this if it gets lost or damaged, because the sale price is $10 and USPS only covers the sale price of an item.

This person is using the shipping cost as a way to get around eBay's fees. Which makes no sense because they still get charged a fee on the shipping - the fee covers the sale price and postage costs.

What an idiot.

gf78

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2015, 03:05:37 pm »

... this listing is a joke.

First of all, there is no way shipping is that expensive. I used the USPS' shipping calculator, and shipping a 40 lb. large package from their city to mine (Calexico, CA) via Standard Mail (Parcel) costs $70. And Priority would cost $90. SERIOUSLY! Even taking into consideration signature confirmation, packaging costs, and insurance, it wouldn't cost more than $120 to ship this PRIORITY MAIL (2-3 day shipping).

Oh, and the insurance won't cover this if it gets lost or damaged, because the sale price is $10 and USPS only covers the sale price of an item.

This person is using the shipping cost as a way to get around eBay's fees. Which makes no sense because they still get charged a fee on the shipping - the fee covers the sale price and postage costs.

What an idiot.

I can't look at the listing right now as eBay is a blocked site at work.  But unless eBay has changed something, you aren't charged a final value fee on shipping costs.  eBay has been working on ways to circumvent people having low sale costs and high shipping costs to avoid the fees, but it's still fairly typical to see a (for instance) $60 game sell for $30 plus $30 shipping for example.