Author Topic: Tired of not being able to play new games when you get them?  (Read 4759 times)

Re: Tired of not being able to play new games when you get them?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2015, 05:44:09 pm »
I'm taking a class on ethics in games, and one of our teachers (I'll call him that, since He's technically not a Professor) is Brett Douville, one of the Lead Programmers for Skyrim. Although I tried to avoid it, I just had to ask him how it is that games like Skyrim can be shipped, when there are very obvious things wrong with the game.

In so many words, He said that it comes as a result of limited marketing timelines; as I understand it (and perhaps I'm misunderstanding him), He explained that a lot of money is spent on advertising, and a lot of planning put into the game's release date. Pushing those things back can be costly. Additionally, a game only has to have a certain amount of functionality in order to pass both Microsoft and Sony's standards for game publishing. These companies set standards at a certain standard, because if Microsoft (for instance) sets the bar high, and (for example) Skyrim doesn't meet it's standards... guess whose console gets it on launch day? And guess what console consumers will have to buy it for until it catches up to Microsoft's standards?

Combine those two, along with the ability to update games post-release, and that's one reason why we see games (with obvious flaws) being released. Announcing release dates, then holding off the game, is costly for the company; it's cheaper and more convenient to send out post-launch updates.

That's a defense I hear companies use for this a lot, but there's a gaping hole in it.
This is a new thing. Before developers had the ability to patch games post-launch, games had to be solid at launch, and they were. It's only now that they have the ability to patch after release that developers are getting lazy, not because they have to, but because they can.
If developers stopped being so trigger-happy with release dates they'd have enough time to tweak it before launch.

This doesn't bother me all that much most of the time, but when I come home from buying loads of games it is a huge pain to have to wait for them all to update before I can play them. A single update can take hours. And it goes without saying that people who preorder or buy at launch one of these sell-now-patch-later games are paying money for a broken mess of a game in some cases, and likely by the time the developers fix it it'll be cheaper to buy, so they essentially paid more for an inferior version of the game.

Trust me, He wasn't necessarily defending that point at all lol.  ::) Obviously, it can be problematic.

But, people vote with their money, and money says that (most) players don't mind the system. I imagine that it bothers this group of people so much, because we're the demographic that's thinking about the future of gaming as much as the past... or, more modestly, we just think about it comparatively more.

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 07:56:18 pm »
I believe it was the PS4 that advertised as "being able to play while installing"; did the XBO too?

Xbox should be able to do it as well, but the games are hit and miss. Most of them will let you start the story mode and not online play. Dead or Alive I couldn't touch until it was at ~45% installed. When I went to play it, only versus was available with 2 characters.

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 08:11:57 pm »
Installing games on a console. ::) I haven't had my PS3 very long, but I'm already annoyed with how long it takes to do stuff on it. It seems like even games that don't have to instill, still "install" something, then there are updates, etc. Even my Wii U was sort of a brick at first due to the Nintendo Network being overloaded around Xmas 2013 - couldn't sync my network ID.

I don't have a Wifi enabled 360, and it's pretty sweet. Just pop a game in, maybe a quick patch, and then I'm off. Screw installing a game - I can wait a few seconds for a load time. It's no biggie.

The mandatory partial install was one of the turn offs for me with the PS3. I probably have a couple hundred game saves on the 360 with the 120GB hard drive. I would of needed several hard drives to do the same on PS3.

I've used close to 1.5TB on the Xbox One already as well. I just wish the install wasn't needed and you could just play off the disc like on the 360.

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 09:13:28 pm »
The PS3 was a nightmare for how slow downloads were.  And it seemed like every time I popped a game in to play, there was some damn update or if it was a new game, an install I had to wait on.  Oh, and the install then the update file!  Woo-hoo! 

The only saving grace there was when I put a single player game in like Final Fantasy XIII, I just skipped the update unless it was something really important.

I got in the habit of setting a new game to update/install, then going off to make dinner or run laundry or whatever. There's nothing worse than getting amped up to play something, only to have to wait an hour or so to actually start the thing.

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 12:22:35 pm »
It's significantly more frustrating when you're visiting and using someone else's console who doesn't already have the game installed. Clearly, your time is limited and installs take forever already, but nag screens every few seconds urging you to update as you play? Yuck.