Author Topic: Spring Cleaning of "Description" Fields.  (Read 3723 times)

argyle

Re: Spring Cleaning of "Description" Fields.
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 06:44:44 am »
Two thoughts:

1) I actually only realized what that field was supposed to be for a couple months ago (I know, my fault for not reading the FAQ closely enough :P). But I do think that field could be labeled better to avoid confusion. Maybe "Special Notes"? Or something else that sounds much better than that. :P

2) I've also been pondering lately having a place to make a note of whether or not a game included a manual, since so many these days do not. Would help tons when picking up used games to be able to tell if the game is incomplete or if it never had a manual to begin with. I've been thinking this should be its own field, but maybe that info could go here?  Iunno - thoughts? Criticisms? Dirty limericks? ;)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 09:27:38 am »
Two thoughts:

1) I actually only realized what that field was supposed to be for a couple months ago (I know, my fault for not reading the FAQ closely enough :P). But I do think that field could be labeled better to avoid confusion. Maybe "Special Notes"? Or something else that sounds much better than that. :P

2) I've also been pondering lately having a place to make a note of whether or not a game included a manual, since so many these days do not. Would help tons when picking up used games to be able to tell if the game is incomplete or if it never had a manual to begin with. I've been thinking this should be its own field, but maybe that info could go here?  Iunno - thoughts? Criticisms? Dirty limericks? ;)

On point two I think having a list of everything the original release of that title included would be nice (Game disc, demo disc, manual, health & safety) etc.

bobster

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 10:13:53 am »
I shall keep an eye out for the description fields, and help out where I can :) but maybe the name should be changed to 'notes/contents' or something? from reading this topic, it doesn't seem 'description' fits what is actually suppose to go there too well?. Either that or there could be a little question mark next to the 'description' and when you hover over it, it tells you what it means? Then that should make it clearer what is suppose to be there :)
That's a great idea. You'd basically be taking the style guide and putting into tooltips next to each field. Seems pretty user friendly to me.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 10:27:41 am »
I shall keep an eye out for the description fields, and help out where I can :) but maybe the name should be changed to 'notes/contents' or something? from reading this topic, it doesn't seem 'description' fits what is actually suppose to go there too well?. Either that or there could be a little question mark next to the 'description' and when you hover over it, it tells you what it means? Then that should make it clearer what is suppose to be there :)
That's a great idea. You'd basically be taking the style guide and putting into tooltips next to each field. Seems pretty user friendly to me.

YES @ THIS. Make it so people don't have to be forum regulars to know there is a style guide.

foxhack

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 04:43:34 pm »
But I do think that field could be labeled better to avoid confusion. Maybe "Special Notes"?

That would only make newbies add their item's details to the entry, instead of using the notes.

Because that's happened.  A lot.

spac316

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 12:19:17 am »
Yeah, I thought it meant we had to describe the game itself. Sorry for adding to the mess, although I mostly keep it blank.

desocietas

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 12:31:00 am »
Yeah, I thought it meant we had to describe the game itself. Sorry for adding to the mess, although I mostly keep it blank.

No worries :) I think it's an easy mistake if folks haven't looked at the Style Guide.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas