Author Topic: Which system is it better for?  (Read 4387 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Which system is it better for?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 02:01:32 pm »
Out of modern consoles, I'd say that generally the Wii U version (if there is one) is often the best due to the GamePad options that often come with it.

But other than that, a lot of modern games are just straight ports. It's not like it was in the day with Sega Genesis and SNES where there would often be two completely different versions of a game.

With the exception of games in the first six months, there pretty much aren't any Wii U "versions" anymore.  Such a shame.  It's a good system and the tablet/controller gets a bad rap.  Aside from the usual first party stuff, I'm almost assuredly going to get Devil's Third.  In part because Nintendo is publishing it, in part because Tomonobu Itagaki is the director and in part because well...there isn't all that much on the way.   :'(

There's been some third-party support for the Wii U: Zombi U, Watch Dogs, Ninja Gaiden 3, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Batman Arkham games, Sonic games. Not as much as PS4 or Xbox One, but it seems to be more promising than the last couple of Nintendo consoles.

insektmute

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 03:01:33 pm »
We've tried this sort of topic before, but it doesn't really pan out. People always add a subjective element to their perspective, get caught up in trading falsehoods propagated by console war types, so on and so forth.

If you dig up 'slimm head to head', he keeps a pretty good list for newer games that's been handy for deciding which version to go with.

gf78

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 03:49:13 pm »
Out of modern consoles, I'd say that generally the Wii U version (if there is one) is often the best due to the GamePad options that often come with it.

But other than that, a lot of modern games are just straight ports. It's not like it was in the day with Sega Genesis and SNES where there would often be two completely different versions of a game.

With the exception of games in the first six months, there pretty much aren't any Wii U "versions" anymore.  Such a shame.  It's a good system and the tablet/controller gets a bad rap.  Aside from the usual first party stuff, I'm almost assuredly going to get Devil's Third.  In part because Nintendo is publishing it, in part because Tomonobu Itagaki is the director and in part because well...there isn't all that much on the way.   :'(

There's been some third-party support for the Wii U: Zombi U, Watch Dogs, Ninja Gaiden 3, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Batman Arkham games, Sonic games. Not as much as PS4 or Xbox One, but it seems to be more promising than the last couple of Nintendo consoles.

All of those games you listed with the exception of Watch Dogs and Sonic were pretty much launch titles.  EA, Activision, WB and Ubisoft pretty much dropped the Wii U like a rock shortly after launch because of low sales.  I mean, why wouldn't people pay full price for games that are already available on PS360 for about half that at this point?   ::)  The Sonic game is so bad it is better left unspoken of and Watch Dogs is well...it's a Ubisoft game that was delayed for many months, leaving it's window of opportunity far behind as everyone already saw what Ubi was trying to pull with the other console versions.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 04:04:15 pm »

All of those games you listed with the exception of Watch Dogs and Sonic were pretty much launch titles.  EA, Activision, WB and Ubisoft pretty much dropped the Wii U like a rock shortly after launch because of low sales.  I mean, why wouldn't people pay full price for games that are already available on PS360 for about half that at this point?   ::)  The Sonic game is so bad it is better left unspoken of and Watch Dogs is well...it's a Ubisoft game that was delayed for many months, leaving it's window of opportunity far behind as everyone already saw what Ubi was trying to pull with the other console versions.

Well I'm keeping the flame of hope alive for Wii U. I'm absolutely loving my Wii U and can't imagine why other people wouldn't be. I will support any third-party efforts that interest me. I already have Hyrule Warriors and Zombi U. Watch Dogs is the next thing I'm getting when I get paid.

davifus

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 04:19:42 pm »
PC > everything else
Long live the PC Master Race!

Huzzah!
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

gf78

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 10:11:04 pm »

Well I'm keeping the flame of hope alive for Wii U. I'm absolutely loving my Wii U and can't imagine why other people wouldn't be. I will support any third-party efforts that interest me. I already have Hyrule Warriors and Zombi U. Watch Dogs is the next thing I'm getting when I get paid.

I love the Wii U, but it's depressing when a super game like Bayonetta 2 that even included an enhanced version of the first game for free sold like crap. It's criminal. I picked up Captain Toad and the NES Remix the day they came out, but I think they've sold pretty poorly as well. What a shame as they were both low priced and friggin excellent.  :'(
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

foxhack

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 10:15:50 pm »
PC > everything else

::)

As a PC player, I hate that stupid master race crap. :P And trust me, there's a lot of modern PC ports that should've remained on consoles - or at least had someone competent work on them.

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2015, 10:40:25 pm »
Usually;

- I'll get the SNES version over the Mega Drive because I prefer the console and controller, and would rather have a bigger library of SNES games. Mega Drive games are much cheaper though, so occasionally I'll get it on that instead.
- Xbox 360 over the PS3 because... I don't know why, I've just started to prefer it that way in the last year or two. It used to be the other way round though, actually.
- Gamecube over the PS2 and Xbox in the rare occasion that the versions are all the same price.
- And finally, I've recently decided that when possible I'll get the Xbox version over the PS2 because the PAL PS2 spines are really boring. I only have an Xbox 360 though, so if the system isn't backwards compatible for a particular game, then obviously I'll get it on the PS2.

Of course this is just when I want a particular game, if I'm out and see a game that interests me I'll get it no matter what system it's on.

abe

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2015, 12:36:54 pm »
For me it's something like this:
-PS4 over Xbone, since I only have a PS4. :P
-PS3 over 360, unless it's an FPS, then I'll get it for the 360 if it's the same price or cheaper.
-The Wii is at the bottom of the list for multiplatform titles in the 7th generation because the Wii version tends to add some stupid gimmicky control scheme. I tend to stick to only buying exclusives when it comes to Wii games.
-PS2 over GCN, only because PS2 games tend to be cheaper. That being said, I will gladly buy the GameCube version if it's cheaper or close to the same price. I still love my GameCube.
-PS1 over N64, if I actually regularly bought games for these systems. Right now I only have one game for each. :'(
-PS Vita over 3DS, though there aren't too many games that it would apply to. Conception II is the only one I can think of off the top of my head, and I don't even have that yet. :P
-PSP over DS, like with the current gen of handhelds, this rarely applies.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

maximo310

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2015, 07:50:52 pm »
8th gen- Wii U since that's all I have at the moment
7th gen- I'll pick up the game for the system if its runs quite a bit better than the other, and/or has interesting exclusive content that other versions did not get, and cheap. So far, its pretty much been with the Wii for exclusives and extra benefits of those versions( plus its usually the cheapest by a good margin for most games), followed PS3 for exclusives and most games after 2010, and Xbox 360 for exclusives and most games from 2005-2010.
6th gen- Gamecube, since I'm going for a complete set, followed by Xbox for best multiplats, and PS2 for exclusives. Dreamcast for exclusives.
5th gen- PS1 for most stuff, Saturn and N64 for mostly exclusives
4th gen- SNES over Genesis
Handhelds: 3DS over PS Vita, just because of price for games, and I don't have a Vita yet( probably get for exclusives)
DS over PSP due mostly to the amount of genres+ games available, but both are pretty close because of their amazing libraries

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2015, 09:39:35 pm »
i think sonic 06 is worse on my tv because it means im playing that awful game.

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2015, 09:41:14 pm »

I love the Wii U, but it's depressing when a super game like Bayonetta 2 that even included an enhanced version of the first game for free sold like crap. It's criminal. I picked up Captain Toad and the NES Remix the day they came out, but I think they've sold pretty poorly as well. What a shame as they were both low priced and friggin excellent.  :'(

i will get both of them some day

amauriel

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2015, 09:19:39 am »
I don't think you see this much anymore, but back in the day some games were just better on other consoles. For example, I seem to keep getting the game Out of this Word (Another World in Europe) because every version is just a bit different. The 3DO version has some scenes others just don't have, but the scenes break the canon of the game a bit, as Interplay handled the port without a lot of direct input from the original team. It really was a different experience on each and every system it was released for.

Today, I think it becomes just a console war, like we're seeing here. There aren't completely different ports like that any more.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

gf78

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2015, 12:29:08 pm »
I don't think you see this much anymore, but back in the day some games were just better on other consoles. For example, I seem to keep getting the game Out of this Word (Another World in Europe) because every version is just a bit different. The 3DO version has some scenes others just don't have, but the scenes break the canon of the game a bit, as Interplay handled the port without a lot of direct input from the original team. It really was a different experience on each and every system it was released for.

Today, I think it becomes just a console war, like we're seeing here. There aren't completely different ports like that any more.

Aladdin was a lot like that.  The SNES game was made by Capcom.  It was ok, but nothing close to the Genesis game which looked exactly like (as far as game graphics could in those days) the movie.  Completely different games based on the same property.

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2015, 06:31:40 pm »
PC > everything else

::)
As a PC player, I hate that stupid master race crap. :P And trust me, there's a lot of modern PC ports that should've remained on consoles - or at least had someone competent work on them.

Yeah... I was just being snarky. I know what you mean but BAD ports. The worst I've played in recently memory was Dead Space. Controls were shit awful.