Author Topic: Hideous Box Art  (Read 7889 times)

kashell

Re: Hideous Box Art
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2015, 04:20:55 pm »

The more that I look at this mess, the more I realize that none of these visions of loveliness look like anyone from the entire game. There is no humpbacked sword wielder. There is no Fabio-esque archer. There is no sluttastic sorceress. Is that guy with the wand supposed to be...Toma? I hope that the other female isn't supposed to be Odessa. That face that she's giving is nothing fitting for a leader of a revolution.

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2015, 07:13:07 pm »
Looks like pinball art

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2015, 07:50:10 pm »

The more that I look at this mess, the more I realize that none of these visions of loveliness look like anyone from the entire game. There is no humpbacked sword wielder. There is no Fabio-esque archer. There is no sluttastic sorceress. Is that guy with the wand supposed to be...Toma? I hope that the other female isn't supposed to be Odessa. That face that she's giving is nothing fitting for a leader of a revolution.

The one with a cape looks like Dan Akroyd, and the girl on the bottom right has chronic b***** face lol

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2015, 07:11:34 pm »
Having labels that say greatest hits and are ugly are one thing!  Having an entire case that is another color is worse imo.  The bright red PS3 greatest hits cases make me want to stain everything around me with my own matching blood (of course I'm kidding).  Seriously though, what goes through their head that says, "Hey, this is a great idea!  This will really make fans happy".  It's almost like they are trolling us.  I can handle game cartridges, like DOOM on SNES being a different color, but if I'm paying for a case, it better GD match my others ones lol.  This might be a topic for another thread, but I even get bothered that some of my PS2 cases are slightly blue and others are black.

I doubt companies are deliberately "trolling" fans. I just don't think they take anal-retentive collectors into account in their marketing meetings ;)

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2015, 07:18:32 pm »
Being more familiar the with pre-crash era, I'll add a  game that I used to own for the 2600 - Spider Maze (and Vulture Attack) which used a confusing array of disjointed and unrelated images on the cover. The cover was almost as bad as the games they contained (almost)

Bwigdahl

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2015, 07:46:28 pm »

Strider Hiryu... You've, uh, changed.

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2015, 08:53:45 pm »

Strider Hiryu... You've, uh, changed.

Looks like Craig Sheffer when he was in "Some Kind of Wonderful". "I didn't know Jenns' (with two N's!!) lived in a hen house. This must be a hen house, cuz I don't see nothing but chicken s...".

amauriel

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2015, 04:36:23 pm »
Whenever I hear talk about box art, the first thing I think of is the Angry American Kirby vs. Happy Japanese Kirby:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/09/09/box-art-battles-the-kirby-series
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

spac316

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2015, 02:44:33 am »
Pro Wrestling for Sega Master System is hilarious! Did he pop his own head off and put it in a headlock?

argyle

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2015, 08:55:06 am »
Having labels that say greatest hits and are ugly are one thing!  Having an entire case that is another color is worse imo.  The bright red PS3 greatest hits cases make me want to stain everything around me with my own matching blood (of course I'm kidding).  Seriously though, what goes through their head that says, "Hey, this is a great idea!  This will really make fans happy".  It's almost like they are trolling us.  I can handle game cartridges, like DOOM on SNES being a different color, but if I'm paying for a case, it better GD match my others ones lol.  This might be a topic for another thread, but I even get bothered that some of my PS2 cases are slightly blue and others are black.

I doubt companies are deliberately "trolling" fans. I just don't think they take anal-retentive collectors into account in their marketing meetings ;)

Yeah, when you think about how many games get traded into stores like GS without any case at all, it's clear that Joe Public doesn't care what the case looks like. The red probably makes the GH games stand out, so from a marketing perspective I'm sure it works well.

Here are 3 more hideous covers I found in my collection:

Look, it's Not-Jimmy Hendrix, Not-Slash and...ok, you got me. ???

I'm not sure what freaks me out the most on this cover - the guy on the left's creepy stare, the girl next to him's mouth or that arm. OK, it's definitely the arm. :o

"What? I have to have that cover done TODAY?!? But it's 4:30, and I have a full night of hookers & blow lined up.  Ok, Ok...grab some clip art and...DONE!"
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

kashell

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2015, 10:05:03 am »
Would you believe me if I said that the cover art for Eternal Eyes was better than the game?

argyle

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2015, 10:26:08 am »
Would you believe me if I said that the cover art for Eternal Eyes was better than the game?

Yes, which is why I've never played it. ;)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

retroone

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2015, 04:52:16 pm »
Oh Fabio!

RADICAL!

gf78

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2015, 05:55:07 pm »

Yeah, when you think about how many games get traded into stores like GS without any case at all, it's clear that Joe Public doesn't care what the case looks like. The red probably makes the GH games stand out, so from a marketing perspective I'm sure it works well.

I'm not sure what freaks me out the most on this cover - the guy on the left's creepy stare, the girl next to him's mouth or that arm. OK, it's definitely the arm. :o

"What? I have to have that cover done TODAY?!? But it's 4:30, and I have a full night of hookers & blow lined up.  Ok, Ok...grab some clip art and...DONE!"

The third guitar player is Zakk Wylde who plays for Ozzy and his own band Black Label Society.  ;)
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

Bwigdahl

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2015, 10:33:16 pm »

The third guitar player is Zakk Wylde who plays for Ozzy and his own band Black Label Society.  ;)

And the first one isn't Hendrix, it's Bootsy Collins lol. Parliament Funk is the shit!