Author Topic: Hideous Box Art  (Read 7885 times)

gf78

Hideous Box Art
« on: March 10, 2015, 02:35:44 pm »
For whatever reason, bad box art happens.  So why not have a fun thread about it?  I'll kick off with any original Xbox 360 Platinum Hits title as my most detested.  They shrunk the art down to about 3/5 it's original size, with big gaudy PLATINUM HITS above it and a gray background with green circles.  Ugh.

A close second would be the PlayStation (one) Greatest Hits line.  Not only did they make the "PlayStation" banner neon green, it has "greatest hits" diagonally all through the background.  Double ugh...
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

tafk

PRO Supporter

Re: Hideous Box Art
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 03:29:28 pm »
Honestly I think all "GH/Best" variants of box art is horrible. There is a reason everyone goes for the originals. haha. Only good one is PSP Favorites.

karyann

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 03:48:39 pm »
Only good one is PSP Favorites.

Definitely! It's not intrusive at all, I love how it looks. :)

kashell

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 03:53:04 pm »
The front cover for Suikoden immediately comes to mind. Just...I can't. Awful faces, awful hair and awful outfits. The design looks like it came from a bad, American comic series. None of the characters look like their anime counter parts.

Thank the GODS they stopped that tradition with Suikoden II and onward.

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 03:55:42 pm »
Having labels that say greatest hits and are ugly are one thing!  Having an entire case that is another color is worse imo.  The bright red PS3 greatest hits cases make me want to stain everything around me with my own matching blood (of course I'm kidding).  Seriously though, what goes through their head that says, "Hey, this is a great idea!  This will really make fans happy".  It's almost like they are trolling us.  I can handle game cartridges, like DOOM on SNES being a different color, but if I'm paying for a case, it better GD match my others ones lol.  This might be a topic for another thread, but I even get bothered that some of my PS2 cases are slightly blue and others are black. 

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 03:57:26 pm »
This ranks up there:

If you want to be a drugged-out punk like this guy, than play Kaarnage Rally!

indenton

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 04:58:58 pm »
Having labels that say greatest hits and are ugly are one thing!  Having an entire case that is another color is worse imo.  The bright red PS3 greatest hits cases make me want to stain everything around me with my own matching blood (of course I'm kidding).  Seriously though, what goes through their head that says, "Hey, this is a great idea!  This will really make fans happy".  It's almost like they are trolling us.  I can handle game cartridges, like DOOM on SNES being a different color, but if I'm paying for a case, it better GD match my others ones lol.  This might be a topic for another thread, but I even get bothered that some of my PS2 cases are slightly blue and others are black.

They did a similar thing with all of the PAL Nintendo 64 game xoxes, every single game box art has a thick black boarder.  Just doesn't look as nice as NTSC designs. 

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 05:07:25 pm »
Look at this disaster lol

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 05:43:26 pm »
Also, Doom on the 32x ... this picture explains it all.

http://www.digitpress.com/images/32x/32x_07.jpg

argyle

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 05:48:24 pm »
The only good thing I can say about this box art is that it accurately represents the game:

...what? :o

If you hold this box art up to a mirror, the world will end:
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 05:55:37 pm »
Also, Doom on the 32x ... this picture explains it all.

http://www.digitpress.com/images/32x/32x_07.jpg

Holy crap, it's one of those "Find the error" pictures LOL!

indenton

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 06:23:41 pm »
If you hold this box art up to a mirror, the world will end:

I honestly don't mind the PlayStation 2 Platinum look, but this just looks like it was destined for the bargain bin.  Come on Konami, is that really the 'best' you could do???

ffxik

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 06:46:58 pm »
Honestly I think all "GH/Best" variants of box art is horrible. There is a reason everyone goes for the originals. haha. Only good one is PSP Favorites.

I'd say the GH box art here is better than the original.

original
http://vgcollect.com/item/14478

GH
http://vgcollect.com/item/25245

indenton

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 06:55:19 pm »
ahh man, Midas entertainment is haunting me once again

This one isn't necessarily all bad, but the face on that body just makes me feel uncomfortable.  Oh and there's a dumb border for no particular reason

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 07:01:59 pm »
ahh man, Midas entertainment is haunting me once again

This one isn't necessarily all bad, but the face on that body just makes me feel uncomfortable.  Oh and there's a dumb border for no particular reason

I'd say it was pretty bad.  Looks like incredibly half-assed photoshop art.  No sense that anyone making it had any idea what they were doing lol