Author Topic: What Qualifies as "Complete?"  (Read 4061 times)

amauriel

Re: What Qualifies as "Complete?"
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 04:49:11 pm »
You could also say that it's not "complete" unless it has the original shrink wrap, it depends how far you want to take it.  I piece together complete games all the time, you just have to make sure you don't end up with a US cartridge and a UK box or something, which is easy to do with Gameboy games.  A pet peeve of mine is if someone is selling a game as complete and it has the original box and a greatest hits cartridge/disc.

Oooo, yeah, that'd bug me.  Those are two diff items in my opinion.  Can't mix and match those.

I'm of the "as long as it's complete" camp as well, but yeah, can't mix regions. That's two different products. I'm also a bit pickier if the serial number is printed on the box, like on older systems. If it's on the outside, I want it to match the system on the inside if possible. It isn't a deal-breaker, but it's nice to have.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 06:08:31 pm »

In modern game's cases, a lot of them no longer come with manuals.

This is how I feel.

...It boggles my mind how people will just throw there boxes or manuals away without a second thought.... It drives me crazy.

Dude, ikr??? While it makes it easier to buy a 'complete' game, it really sucks that there's no manual.  :( Even though I don't really read them anymore, it just feels nice to have a big, hefty manual included with the game (that's one reason why I like Disgaea... even though it's only so big because it's printed in 2 or 3 languages, you can't deny the visual pleasure of a hefty manual in the box <3  ).

AND YES OHMYGOSH THAT DRIVES ME CRAZY AS WELL. STORY TIME.

So my friend and I were in his car, and He picked up a copy of Pokemon X at GameStop. We're in the car, he takes out the cart...

... and basically throws away the case and manual.

I think I might've actually said something to him.  ::) All I could think was "seriously? Why would you do that???" A perfectly new case and manual, ready to go to a friggin' trash bin. No joke.

I was going to keep it, but decided not to; in retrospective, I should have. And the sad thing is, this happens ALL the time; most DS/3DS games in places like GameStop (or, at least, a good portion) are missing everything. Rustles my jimmies. As was jokingly (? lol) said at the stream, games deserve better.  :P Plus, if you go to trade it in or resell it, the value goes down! It just doesn't make any sense (hell, stuff it in a shoebox! The cases aren't that big).

As for the other replies, thanks to everyone for giving your opinions! Maybe I'll be a little more open to buying incomplete games from now on (why I usually hate to is because GameStop charges you the same price no matter what it does or doesn't come with). I should note that I don't count things like health/safety manuals as complete, either, because those are a dime a dozen. xP

argyle

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 07:19:49 pm »
Everyone has their own definition of what "complete" means.  For me, it's disc + case + artwork + manual.  If a game came with a map, that should be included as well or any other item.  For instance, Lunar 2 without the pendant is not complete. 

Flyers, registration cards, DLC voucher card, etc. are not needed for me to feel like I have a complete game.

Ditto. As for swapping cases goes, I do that ALL the time to ensure I have the best possible cases I can find for my collection. Typically if I'm trading in a game (which happens less often these days, but still) I will first transplant the game into one of the beat-up GS cases I have on hand. Then whenever I pickup a used game, if the case is in bad condition I'll just swap it back out with the good one I had set aside. Nothing wrong with that IMO - I'd much rather have the best condition case I can find.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

soera

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 08:47:24 pm »
Complete = Items that come with the game that are relevant to the game itself. Generic printed ads, styrofoam, warning inserts, etc do not qualify. Posters that are specific to the game, maps, inserts that actually are for the game (such as Club Nintendo codes that mention the game or ads that are like "If you like blahblah game, then you will like blahblah game) should be considered part of complete.

gf78

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2015, 10:57:44 am »
Complete = Items that come with the game that are relevant to the game itself. Generic printed ads, styrofoam, warning inserts, etc do not qualify. Posters that are specific to the game, maps, inserts that actually are for the game (such as Club Nintendo codes that mention the game or ads that are like "If you like blahblah game, then you will like blahblah game) should be considered part of complete.

While it's not a deal-breaker, I do want original, boxed NES games to include the Styrofoam block that holds the cartridge up.  As well, SNES games I want the cardboard insert that holds the cart in the center.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

desocietas

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2015, 02:12:06 pm »

While it's not a deal-breaker, I do want original, boxed NES games to include the Styrofoam block that holds the cartridge up.  As well, SNES games I want the cardboard insert that holds the cart in the center.

Yeah, I need the cardboard spacer/holder for gba games for sure.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

spac316

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2015, 02:42:05 am »
Well, if I get the game with the box and manual, I consider that complete.

gf78

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2015, 11:20:07 am »

Yeah, I need the cardboard spacer/holder for gba games for sure.

Forgot GB/GBA games.  So basically, any game that the box had a cardboard/styro spacer in it originally to hold the cart in place, I want that item.  Not only because it holds the cart in place, but it also keeps the box from getting crushed.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2015, 01:27:34 am »

I threw out almost all my foam inserts in the late 90's. I flattened all my boxes and put them in storage when I started collecting Disc games. Kinda wish I would of kept them, now that my boxes are on the shelf again  :-\ Got a stack of inserts boxed away that I need to pair up with the proper games now.