Author Topic: PlayStation One Memory Card Fail  (Read 2834 times)

retroone

PlayStation One Memory Card Fail
« on: December 07, 2014, 02:20:25 pm »
Does anyone know how to fix a PS1 memory card that randomly deletes data? I have a PS1 console along with a third party memory card. The memory card has no brand name on but it has for sure kept my saves on it in the past. I don't have a PS2 to test this on. By randomly deletes data I mean sometimes it will keep a save and other times it won't. If I were to copy a game save over there would be a 50/50 chance it would still be on there. Is this fixable or should I just buy a new card overall?

foxhack

Re: PlayStation One Memory Card Fail
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 02:40:26 pm »
Get a new card. Third party PS1 memory cards are notorious for failing once in a while, especially no name ones. PS2 cards are a little bit better depending on the brand.

I only use third party ones to store data I won't mind losing. >_>

retroone

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 02:45:16 pm »
The only third party brand I can trust with a memory card for the PS1 is Hyperkin. Thanks for the helpful advice!

foxhack

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 03:29:06 pm »
The only third party brand I can trust with a memory card for the PS1 is Hyperkin. Thanks for the helpful advice!

... that looks exactly like the kind of junky memory card I was talking about... >_>

retroone

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 03:33:43 pm »
Hasn't caused me any trouble yet.

thecrypticodor

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 12:05:35 am »
I have actually purchased one of these ridiculously cheap Chinese ones just for the hell of it. They're just a little over a dollar and the one I got has been surprisingly reliable even one year later. Although I'll never trust it to hold a save of a RPG or any game that requires a huge time investment.

retroone

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 06:17:18 am »
It looks just like the one I use!

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 11:51:15 am »
I would never, ever, ever trust a memory card other than Sony. MadCatz did me wrong in 2004 and wiped out all my Spyro saves one day. I also got a bunch of those generic Chinese PS1 cards in a lot of PS2 memory cards I bought, and not a single one of those PS1 cards works.

When it comes to game saves, you just have to go with Sony cards, no argument

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 12:17:27 pm »
Get a new card. Third party PS1 memory cards are notorious for failing once in a while, especially no name ones. PS2 cards are a little bit better depending on the brand.

I only use third party ones to store data I won't mind losing. >_>

That is good to know, though, I rarey buy anything 3rd party. Thanks
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 05:23:41 am »
Greetings all, first post here. :D

Please note that it's not reliable to test a third-party PS1 memory card on a PS2 system since the PS2 expects the card to have the encrypted Sony key on it, and if it doesn't the memory card will not appear at all in the system browser. Some third party cards may then seem not to work when you try it on a PS2 but if you plug it in a PS1 the files may be there, just that the memory card is not recognized.

My personal blog is written in french but this post illustrates the problem, with a bit of Google translate + pictures it should be fairly self-explanatory.

My advise would be to try the card on a PS1 system and see if your files are there. And yes, by all means, use official cards whenever possible. ;)
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

davifus

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 02:38:05 pm »
Greetings all, first post here. :D

Please note that it's not reliable to test a third-party PS1 memory card on a PS2 system since the PS2 expects the card to have the encrypted Sony key on it, and if it doesn't the memory card will not appear at all in the system browser. Some third party cards may then seem not to work when you try it on a PS2 but if you plug it in a PS1 the files may be there, just that the memory card is not recognized.

My personal blog is written in french but this post illustrates the problem, with a bit of Google translate + pictures it should be fairly self-explanatory.

My advise would be to try the card on a PS1 system and see if your files are there. And yes, by all means, use official cards whenever possible. ;)

Very neat blog. nice and organized
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 03:24:08 am »
Very neat blog. nice and organized

Thank you kind sir. ^^
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE