Author Topic: The Pokemon Company sues fan who planned Pokemon-themed party  (Read 2673 times)

Re: The Pokemon Company sues fan who planned Pokemon-themed party
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 08:42:08 pm »
Oh this is the same thing from months ago, it's hard to feel sympathetic for him when he was doing this purely for profit (even if it doesn't say it in this article). He was selling tickets to an event that was serving Pokemon Themed alcoholic beverages WHEN THEY DIDN'T EVEN ID PEOPLE WHO WERE BUYING TICKETS. I feel Pokemon did the right thing by suing him.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 08:48:37 pm by matimo »

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 08:59:39 pm »
From something I read, it was only like 2 bucks a ticket and was hardly making anything from it.  At best it barely covered the event.  They might've been in the right by suing him, but pulling the settlement because the story just happened to make them look bad is a pretty cheap move.

gf78

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 08:39:37 am »
The guy had been doing the event for several years and stated he wasn't making money, but losing a bit.  He did it because he loved Pokémon and wanted to share that with other likeminded individuals. 

If there was a problem with what he was doing, there is a thing called a "Cease & desist order."  I'm sure he would have complied.  I also don't believe that he was serving drinks to just anyone.  Some little kids weren't in there buying alcohol.  The Pokémon Company got pissy because his ad for the event featured two Pokémon on it.  They should have politely asked him first, then followed up with a cease & desist order.  Suing the guy is ridiculous and getting mad because he went public with what amounts to extortion and then trying to screw him over harder is ridiculous. 

Sony and Microsoft are more than happy to embrace the public and don't say squat about events like this.  It's free advertising for them.  But I guess that's why PS4 and Xbox One are outselling the Wii U like it (Wii U) hasn't even launched yet.  But that's what happens when you $hit on your fans, deny them localizations of games they actually want and shortchange everyone in the US on Amiibo's.  Because y'know...for five straight series of figures, you still haven't figured out that they sell like hotcakes and you refuse to mass produce the older figures that nobody was able to get!
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

rayne315

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 10:41:21 am »
Oh this is the same thing from months ago, it's hard to feel sympathetic for him when he was doing this purely for profit (even if it doesn't say it in this article).

he sold the tickets for $2 a piece rents a dj for I believe $450, buys a kindle fire ($60 used $140 new) for a prize and has to buy various gift cards as prizes. plus he has to buy drinks and decorations. Now I may not be a genius by any means but of the ~250 tickets he sold that makes $500 and that my good sir constitutes a loss of money not a profit.

He was selling tickets to an event that was serving Pokemon Themed alcoholic beverages WHEN THEY DIDN'T EVEN ID PEOPLE WHO WERE BUYING TICKETS. I feel Pokemon did the right thing by suing him.

Now I have read about 10 different articles (both defending him and attacking him) about this issue and not a single one has mentioned anyone attending the party would be under the age of 21. Now don't you think if anyone writing about this found out he would be serving alcohol to minors that they would latch onto this too? I also read through the entire legal document for the case and not once was the fact he would be serving alcohol brought up. In other words TPC did not care about this. The reason they are suing him is because on the promotional poster he was using the images of 2 pokemon.

PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully