Author Topic: Your collecting policy for the consoles you own  (Read 4904 times)

soera

Re: Your collecting policy for the consoles you own
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2015, 12:59:45 am »
Here is how I do mine :

Atari 2600 - Imagic games. I enjoyed them when I was a kid among all the other games on the system and I really think the cartridges are pretty cool looking.
Handhelds/Wii/WiiU - The series I enjoy
Gamecube - All the Zelda releases
NES - Was going for a full set but realized it was not something I want to complete. I am satisfied with the collection I have now.
Playstation 1/2/3 - All the RPGs
PS4 - As many of the games as I can acquire (other than junk like sports/racing/fps)
Master system - Complete games/accessories/kiosk demos
Super Nintendo/Xbox - The exclusive titles I really enjoy playing
Saturn (once I get one) - Magic knight Rayearth only. :)

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 06:05:58 am »
I only collect what I enjoy playing. If I won't play it, I don't buy it and if I do buy it and don't like it, I sell it or trade it in to the game store. I abhor "shelf filler" and the wasted money that comes with buying crap just to put on a shelf to look pretty or make a nice background in some youtube video.

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 06:48:58 am »
Sega Master System: Trying to pick up known/unknown gems. Avoiding all sports games
Sega Mega Drive: Trying to pick up everything I get my hands on. Avoiding all sports games
Sega Mega CD: Aiming for a 50% complete collection, including sports games
Commodore 64: Picking up anything that comes in my way
Amiga: Depending on price and condition, will pick up but is not actively searching for
Atari ST: Will pick up anything that I come across

woahsweetgreyphix

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 08:47:37 am »
I only collect what I enjoy playing. If I won't play it, I don't buy it and if I do buy it and don't like it, I sell it or trade it in to the game store. I abhor "shelf filler" and the wasted money that comes with buying crap just to put on a shelf to look pretty or make a nice background in some youtube video.

Haha, I definitely agree with you, but some people do like to collect stuff that they aren't going to play. It may be for a console they like, the box or art looks cool, it was a game from their childhood, etc. Some people have different tastes  :D

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 10:45:43 am »
Forgot a few.

Gameboy/GBC: I'm not huge fan of the gameboy, my issue stemming mostly from it being before my time in terms of appeal. That doesn't stop me from grabbing a few choice titles for it like the Pokemon games though.

GBA: I definitely enjoy the GBA more than it's predecessor and pick up interesting and must have titles when i find them for cheap. I rarely buy games on this system for full retail, but I have made exemptions for a few awesome games.

DS: I love the DS, and unlike Nintendo's previous handholds I do actively collect for it, not only picking up the console defining games, but also a bunch of obscure gems and other great titles that flew under the radar when they were released.

3DS: A system I enjoy even more than the DS, I've loved picking up new titles for the system and my collection for it has definitely ballooned over the past year.

PSP: Admittedly I'm not a huge fan of this system, but given its few must haves like Crisis Core, I do somewhat collect for it, if only on the cheap. It is admittedly a JRPGs handheld system of choice, but still it isn't a system I collect heavily for.

PC: Collecting PC games has become my most recent obsession. My policy towards PC games is collecting older titles I can probably get working on my Windows 7 (X64) rig, or games I can buy off Steam or GOG, and have the physical game as a sign of ownership. I will also mention I am only interested in games with Big Boxes, so no DVD or jewel case games here.

argyle

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 12:09:23 pm »
bikingjahuty, what's the one PS2 game you're still looking for?

Any cartridge-based console - If I come across something that looks interesting & is really cheap, I'll pick it up, but I never go out of my way to collect for these. I lived them, they were great in their time, but I just do not enjoy going back to these systems very much.

PS1 - Any RPGs, and any other title that looks interesting & is priced reasonably. Most of the early polygon games don't hold up very well (this goes for N64/Saturn as well) so there aren't many action/adventure games I pickup for the system.

Dreamcast - I'm pretty much done with my DC collection at this point. I have almost all of the games that interested me, and the ones I don't (Project Justice, Canon Spike) are ridiculously priced.

PS2 - Probably still my favorite system, just barely edging out the PS3. I collect any & all RPGs I come across for it as well as pretty much anything else that I remember enjoying, looks interesting, etc. Love this console.

Gamecube - I really like the system, but I don't heavily collect for it. I have most of what interests me - still a few I'm looking for, but haven't been making them a priority.

Xbox - If I come across an exclusive that interests me & is really cheap, I'll get it.

PS3 - I've been heavily collecting for the PS3 over the past year & a half or so. Games are dropping down really cheap these days, so I'm getting anything that interests me while I still can - don't want a repeat of the PS1/PS2. Almost have a complete set of the RPGs for it (excluding any that had improved releases on other systems). All multiplats of that gen I get on the PS3 as well.

360 - Exclusives only, and mainly the JRPGs & SHMUPs that were released exclusively on it. One of my least-favorite systems overall.

Wii - I *love* collecting quirky titles for this system! I cursed myself when, about a year and a half ago, I was joking with a friend about reading where someone said there were easily 50 games worth owning for the system. Then I started really looking at what was out for it & currently have over 100 titles - with more on my wish list. :o Surprisingly awesome little system once you get past the shovelware.

PS4 - My current primary system, all multi-plats are bought for it & I'll end up getting all the RPGs for it eventually.

Wii U - Trying to stay up on the games I want for this one so I don't have to track any down - tho I'm already missing Pikmin 3 & the Wario game that are uncommon in my area. There are some really great games for this system.

DS - I've really slowed down collecting for this, at this point if I come across something interesting & cheap I'll grab it but I'm not going out of my way looking for games for it anymore. That said, I picked up a TON last year, so I feel like I have a pretty diverse collection.

PSP - Mainly focussing on the RPGs, and there are a ton of them. Unfortunately I almost waited too long to really start collecting for this one, and games for it are becoming scarce in my area.

3DS - I have most of what I want, minus a few glaring omissions like A Link Between Worlds. I regularly swap off between this & my Vita.

Vita - Whatever interests me, with a focus on the RPGs.

Also, any games I pick up for the old cart consoles can be game only, not trying for complete on any of those. On the DS I prefer complete but will accept cart only because I waited too long to be picky - with the exception of a few franchises (Zelda, Castlevania, Dragon Quest, maybe a couple more). All other handhelds, the games must be complete. Disk-based consoles also must be complete unless it's a very unique situation - for example, I have Data East Arcade Classics disk-only on the Wii because it's very rare & I came across a copy at Gamestop for $5. I'm still keeping my eyes out for a complete copy (or the case/manual), but I couldn't say no to that. I also have a few Wii games that are missing manuals. I believe all of my PS3 games are 100% complete, and I'd say 99% of my PS2 ones are.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

kashell

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2015, 12:22:28 pm »
I don't have a policy based on systems. Like, as much as the Nintendo is an important part of my gamer life, I don't have any NES games because the ones I do like have been either remade for better systems (Final Fantasy on the PSP for example) or they are part of a collection (Mega Man Anniversary Collection). Instead, I have a policy based on franchises that I like.

That said, this topic has provided some rather interesting reading material. It's always neat to see how other gamers do their thing.

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2015, 02:18:54 pm »
bikingjahuty, what's the one PS2 game you're still looking for?

Wild Arms 5 with the box and art book. Can't find it anywhere and ebay prices are getting pretty high for it.

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2015, 03:29:37 pm »
I've been collecting like freaking mad the last 25 years (like a good chunk of you guys I'm positive), but these last 2 or so years I've trimmed my collection quite considerably. (about 3 folds)
Nowadays, I just collect things that I really enjoy, regardless of rarity values.
So I guess my new personal policy is keeping only games that I know I can fire up anytime and get some decent level of enjoyment out of.
No more collecting just for the sake of collecting, or because it would look fantastic on my shelves.
Anything that doesn't hold any kind of sentimental value or replayability for me is an instant sell / gift to someone.

You can be sure that if I (still) own a game, it's because I really like it, or it holds a special meaning.

Maybe that's a dumb post I dunno, but it was not always the case when I was younger, collecting just for sh*t and giggles.

dondetti

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2015, 04:14:27 pm »
I've been collecting like freaking mad the last 25 years (like a good chunk of you guys I'm positive), but these last 2 or so years I've trimmed my collection quite considerably. (about 3 folds)
Nowadays, I just collect things that I really enjoy, regardless of rarity values.
So I guess my new personal policy is keeping only games that I know I can fire up anytime and get some decent level of enjoyment out of.
No more collecting just for the sake of collecting, or because it would look fantastic on my shelves.
Anything that doesn't hold any kind of sentimental value or replayability for me is an instant sell / gift to someone.

You can be sure that if I (still) own a game, it's because I really like it, or it holds a special meaning.

Maybe that's a dumb post I dunno, but it was not always the case when I was younger, collecting just for sh*t and giggles.

I don't think this is dumb at all. I also don't like things sitting around that are only collecting dust. I like to get stuff that I know I'm regularily coming back to and enjoy, even if it's maybe only once a year, because otherwise I don't see the point of owning something physically.
When I was younger I dreamed of owning a vast library of music and games. I still really like to look at these massive collections and super rare artifacts, I appreciate the commitment. But as I went on with collecting things I noticed that it's not what I really want for me. Different strokes I guess.
I can you only chance
You need spell your soul
To the horrid spooky devil
That's a voyage to Hell

Games: https://vgcollect.com/dondetti
Music: https://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/parabellum

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2015, 08:36:58 pm »
My only rules:

1. I only buy games I want to play.

2. It can't be a pirated/copied versions.

3. It has to work properly.

4. With a cartridge/SD card, I at least want the label intact; with a disc it must be readable.

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2015, 09:15:19 pm »

PC: Collecting PC games has become my most recent obsession. My policy towards PC games is collecting older titles I can probably get working on my Windows 7 (X64) rig, or games I can buy off Steam or GOG, and have the physical game as a sign of ownership. I will also mention I am only interested in games with Big Boxes, so no DVD or jewel case games here.

I'm of a slightly different mindset now but I originally thought the same. I look at my (small) PC collection in two tiers - there are my must have, absolutely favorite, blast from the past games that must be CIB like Tie Fighter, Full Throttle, Stunt Driver or Worms Armageddon. Then there are other games that I enjoyed but don't necessarily need CIB, these I'll settle with disc in jewel case and manual such as midtown madness or Star Trek Final Unity

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2015, 04:03:11 am »
Do I want it?
Am I willing to pay the current going price?
Will I play it?

If yes to all three. I get it.

jsoup

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2015, 05:10:57 pm »
For pre-PS3 systems:
-Is it it a game I just want to play, or do I actually have a reason to own it?
If the former, emulate it or find someone to borrow from. If the latter, it goes on the buy list.
-Is the price something I find reasonable?
If yes, buy it. If no, wait until it is.

For current systems:
-Is it something I actually want to play?
-Is the price something I find reasonable?