Author Topic: Mega Man Legacy Collection  (Read 3960 times)

abe

Mega Man Legacy Collection
« on: June 08, 2015, 12:38:42 pm »
Sooo... after five or so years since the last Mega Man game (Mega Man 10, if I remember correctly), Capcom has announced that they're releasing the Mega Man Legacy Collection for the PS4, Xbone, PC, and 3DS. The console and PC versions are due to be released in NA and Europe this Summer, while the 3DS version is due for this Winter. The game will cost $14.99 on all platforms when it releases.

Being a huge fan of the franchise, I was initially pretty excited, but that excitement has already worn off. From what I've read online and seen from the trailer, it's just ports of Mega Man up to Mega Man 6 with some added features like leaderboards and video replays, as well as an art gallery. The trailer mentions something about added "HD Flair", though I'm not sure what they mean by that, as the games clearly haven't been visually remade. Judging by the price point, it's very likely that it's also digital only. My impressions so far are that it's similar to the Mega Man Anniversary Collection, except worse. I'm unimpressed, though not particularly disappointed as I considered the franchise long dead since Mega Man Legends 3 was cancelled and Inafune left Crapcom back in 2011.

What are your impressions?

Here's the European trailer
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

Re: Mega Man Legacy Collection
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 01:11:48 pm »
Why I'm not excited about this at all:

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 01:12:47 pm »
Not a big mega man fan, but ill get it !
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 01:29:09 pm »

Same here, and that 15th anniversary collection got episodes 7 and 8... at least they could had Megaman 9 and 10 in that new collection, now I would have been excited.

Retro ARCADE games news, review and gameplay Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrltRbkb_z9yUZvypUdWo8A

Twitter; https://twitter.com/NGCDManiac

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 02:13:17 pm »
Such a wasted collection.  Why not have all 10? Why no Wii U? It's literally the only console lately that has shown love to Mega Man with him in Smash Bros and guaranteed it's not gonna cost much to put it on that lol I'm not even that huge of a fan of the old Mega Man's, but it seems like kind of a weak release to sorta toss some scraps to the fans.  I might've been more inclined to get it if it was a full selection release.

argyle

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 02:16:23 pm »
I'm not a huge Mega Man fan, but I might would have picked this up had the price been right & it was physical - even tho I own the collection for the PS2. Capcom said in a business meeting recently that their remakes had done much better in the west digitally than physically, so you can thank the average consumer for that one.

I just hope they keep putting out the sets in Asia - in English - on physical media, like they did w/ RE HD & are doing w/ DMC 4 HD.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 02:18:29 pm »

Just added this to my wishlist on here.  ;D
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

maximo310

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 02:18:53 pm »
Yeah, I don't see a reason why they can't include all 10, especially since it looks like a another digital release, which they've been doing quite a bit lately with some remasters. I'd rather see a new Megaman  game that comes out for all platforms instead of this.

gf78

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 02:23:05 pm »
Oh dear, Crapcom...Crapcom...Crapcom.  Though I am at work and cannot view videos or any other links for the most part, this sounds like a straight port of the PS2 Mega Man Anniversary Collection.  Well, minus the bonus games anyway. 

It's like they aren't even trying anymore to make something new.  Ports of old games is all they are doing it seems these days, and most of them are digital only.  F that bunk!
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

gf78

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 02:23:54 pm »
Yeah, I don't see a reason why they can't include all 10, especially since it looks like a another digital release, which they've been doing quite a bit lately with some remasters. I'd rather see a new Megaman  game that comes out for all platforms instead of this.

I'd say it's a straight port of the PS2 Anniversary Collection.  Minimal effort and basically free money for them.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

maximo310

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 02:26:52 pm »

I'd say it's a straight port of the PS2 Anniversary Collection.  Minimal effort and basically free money for them.
Unfortunately, you may be right about that, seeing how bare bones it is, even though they cant even include 7 or 8 along with the rest of their games. I think they're really trying to play it safe right now with stuff like this.

silversyx

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 03:24:08 pm »
I was really hoping for a physical release of 9 and 10...  :'(

gf78

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 03:43:48 pm »

Unfortunately, you may be right about that, seeing how bare bones it is, even though they cant even include 7 or 8 along with the rest of their games. I think they're really trying to play it safe right now with stuff like this.

I picked up new/sealed copies of the Mega Man Anniversary Collection and Mega Man X Collection on eBay for $30 as a pair.  The Anniversary edition includes Mega Man 1-8 and two bonus fighting games from Japan.  Mega Man X Collection includes Mega Man X 1-6 and the bonus game Battle Chase. 

This set for fifteen bucks is a cheap cash grab from Crapcom and guaranteed, it's not going to be a smooth, highly optimized set for that price.  You would be better off to buy the PS2/Xbox collection and download the games to play on an emulator for the PC, Wii, etc.  That way you have the legal copies and can play the games how you want.  The emulators run good.

On a side (but related) note, I have downloaded several of the Mega Man titles for NES and SNES on my Galaxy S6 and have it paired with a Moga Hero Power controller.  The games are fantastic.  Though it's not necessary because I have emulation on my Wii, I can (for the fun of it) connect my S6 to my tv through a Samsung HDMI adapter, then kick back and play on the Moga controller from the comfort of my chair with the Bluetooth pairing.  Works like a charm.   ;)

foxhack

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 04:48:36 pm »
You guys.

Frank Cifaldi is involved. The guy who ran Lost Levels, a renowned video game historian and preservationist, and all around cool guy. He's definitely making sure the games will be up to par.

This is not a port of the PS2 collection. This is something else.

And yes I had my doubts until Frank was revealed as being involved in this. There's no way this is going to be a shoddy DotEmu-styled port. Not with him around.

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2015, 05:02:29 pm »
You guys.

Frank Cifaldi is involved. The guy who ran Lost Levels, a renowned video game historian and preservationist, and all around cool guy. He's definitely making sure the games will be up to par.

This is not a port of the PS2 collection. This is something else.

And yes I had my doubts until Frank was revealed as being involved in this. There's no way this is going to be a shoddy DotEmu-styled port. Not with him around.

For me, I don't expect it to be bad, it's just lackluster in what it is.  No Wii U release, only the first 6 games, would've been much better to have the rest up to 10, make it kind of a big deal release.  I'd pay extra to have all 10 of the regular numbered releases.  I mean, it's not like I can't buy up to 7 on the eShop right now, it's just sorta more about creating a really nice package, especially if they are wanting to "remaster" it (The heck is HD flair?).