Author Topic: Microsoft's E3 2015 press conference thoughts? ***SPOILERS FOR ANNOUNCEMENTS***  (Read 2473 times)

gf78

Just finished watching Microsoft's E3 presser and figured I would give my thoughts.

Backward compatibility rolling out is a big deal.  I assume all the "big" titles will receive the treatment.  So for fans of Gears, Halo, Forza, Fable and other big exclusives, it will be pretty sweet to play those original games on the new system.  Though, they are downloads that you have to install so I expect they will take up quite a bit of room on your HDD.

Hololens really didn't do much for me at this stage.  I've played around with augmented reality stuff before.  It's cool, but nothing super special for me.  I'm also not a minecraft addict so I wasn't impressed there.

Rare!  Rare!  Holy S**t I want that Rare Replay collection!  Sea of Thieves looks interesting too!

Those were the biggies for me.  PvZ 2, Dark Souls III, Fallout 4 and the other multiplats look good.  Tomb Raider will be nice, but I can wait as it will release on PS4 next year. 

Recore looked pretty cool for a new exclusive. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

I am interested in Rare Replay, and I am pretty sure they didn't say it was exclusive for Xbone. So hope it comes to PS4 too.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

I thought it was a reasonable conference.  It was great they didn't push any TV crap, no sports other than the one EA moment, no Call of Duty, and they kept everything at a good pace and had no shenanigans.  Rare Replay is cool, Sea of Thieves could be fun, Recore could be interesting once we know what it is, backwards compatibility is nice, but not many surprises that wowed me.  Didn't push me to buy a Xbone.

turf

PRO Supporter

Rare!  Rare!  Holy S**t I want that Rare Replay collection!  Sea of Thieves looks interesting too!

I saw this and thought it was an eBay/Craigslist ad

Damn, that Xbox Elite controller with the interchangeable parts? 150 bucks.  That's arcade stick territory.

http://www.destructoid.com/that-fancy-xbox-one-controller-is-150-294060.phtml

gf78

Damn, that Xbox Elite controller with the interchangeable parts? 150 bucks.  That's arcade stick territory.

http://www.destructoid.com/that-fancy-xbox-one-controller-is-150-294060.phtml

Saw that this morning.  Waaaay out of the price range for most users.  I also feel that it really isn't fair to offer a "competitive controller" whereas other gamers will be using the standard model.  Why not just add mouse & keyboard support?  They are well on their way to unbalancing gameplay. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

gf78

I am interested in Rare Replay, and I am pretty sure they didn't say it was exclusive for Xbone. So hope it comes to PS4 too.

Not gonna happen.  Microsoft bought Rare and all their IP's back in the early 2000's.  This compilation will never see the light of day outside of an Xbox system. :'( 

Though I realllllllllly want it, is a $30 compilation of older titles that I (mostly) already own worth buying a $350 console?  Nope.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Those 3-D glasses...so amazing! Xbox is bringing us the freaking future. 3D environments, anywhere, and fully interactive. Just plain astonishing.

yancakes

I've seen a lot of gung-ho reactions for Microsoft's conference, and I'm confused that maybe we watched a different conference? The crowd reaction was null- most big announcements (except for backwards compatability and I guess the hololens) were met with a second of silence then a polite couple of seconds of clapping. Were the entire crowd Japanese or something and that was actually an insane reaction from them?

Almost nothing was exclusive- and no I don't consider it a friggin' exclusive if it's on PC or it's a limited exclusive that will later be ported to other things. A tonne of their big announcements were for other people's products- Bethesda, EA, what have you- I love the absolutely quiet reaction to the car being lowered from the ceiling, "THANK YOU HENRY!".

The new Halo looked like it was made out of plastic. I didn't see anything in it, Forza or GoW that looked new, they're just banking on everything being bigger and prettier. There was way too much focus on hardware and console extensions and updates.

And I really don't care about the backwards compatibility. I get that a lot of people are sitting on sizeable 360 collections without a working console :V but I care more about NEW games.

So my thoughts: rehashes, non-exclusives, huge lack of creativity or new IPs, way too much focus on not games (although as previously mentioned it's nice to see them not prattling on about TV).

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Nothing exclusive? Yeah, I think you did watch an entirely different conference: Halo 5, Forza 6, Holo-Lens, Rare Collection, Gears of War 4 & Remake, ReCore, Sea of Thieves, Fable Legends, and TRUE backwards compatibility.

yancakes

Nothing exclusive? Yeah, I think you did watch an entirely different conference: Halo 5, Forza 6, Holo-Lens, Rare Collection, Gears of War 4 & Remake, ReCore, Sea of Thieves, Fable Legends, and TRUE backwards compatibility.
Sorry, I meant exclusive AAA. There were a few but none of them really seemed to bring anything new to the table, like Halo and GoW, aside from just being next gen- and admittedly I don't care about Halo, although I did really like GoW when they were fresh. The HoloLens was interesting but, well, everyone is developing VR right now. The rare collection isn't exclusive because most of those games are avilable on older systems, even if they have an HD update (I can play Conkers on the N64, thanks). Fable Legends if F2P, Sea of Thieves looked like a Sid Meier's Pirates rehash.

Oh and the backwards compatability thing, again, offers no new games, nor do I care about it since, well, I kept a total of two 360 games from an original collection of 30+ when I realized that almost none of them were exclusives, and the ones that were weren't my bag except for GoW, which I had no inclination to return to after beating it.

EDIT: I'm NOT saying XBOne owners have nothing to be excited about, for the record. My personal reaction was that they didn't offer enough that was new and exciting, a LOT of their big reveals were non-exclusives, and obviously I don't care about their new hardware and system extensions since I don't already have an XBOne. My point is just that they didn't sell me anything. Sony sold me a friggin' PS4 last night, Bethesda sold me Fallout 4 the night before.

Also seriously what was with the crowd? They were super unenthusiastic.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 04:42:07 pm by yancakes »

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

Still don't have a reason to buy a Xbone yet. Still want a 3DS xl and Wii U before I get a XBone.

1049-2600-8730

Still don't have a reason to buy a Xbone yet. Still want a 3DS xl and Wii U before I get a XBone.

Definitely grab a Wii U especially with all the games its getting this year.  I was equally underwhelmed by the Xbone.  The Rare game wasn't what I wanted, and the rest were all the same properties from before that i'm not interested in anymore like Halo and Gears.

maximo310

Sorry, I meant exclusive AAA. There were a few but none of them really seemed to bring anything new to the table, like Halo and GoW, aside from just being next gen- and admittedly I don't care about Halo, although I did really like GoW when they were fresh. The HoloLens was interesting but, well, everyone is developing VR right now. The rare collection isn't exclusive because most of those games are avilable on older systems, even if they have an HD update (I can play Conkers on the N64, thanks). Fable Legends if F2P, Sea of Thieves looked like a Sid Meier's Pirates rehash.

Oh and the backwards compatability thing, again, offers no new games, nor do I care about it since, well, I kept a total of two 360 games from an original collection of 30+ when I realized that almost none of them were exclusives, and the ones that were weren't my bag except for GoW, which I had no inclination to return to after beating it.

EDIT: I'm NOT saying XBOne owners have nothing to be excited about, for the record. My personal reaction was that they didn't offer enough that was new and exciting, a LOT of their big reveals were non-exclusives, and obviously I don't care about their new hardware and system extensions since I don't already have an XBOne. My point is just that they didn't sell me anything. Sony sold me a friggin' PS4 last night, Bethesda sold me Fallout 4 the night before.

Also seriously what was with the crowd? They were super unenthusiastic.
I feel the same as you do on Microsoft's conference; most of the games are sequels to stuff we've seen before or just don't seem very exciting to me.

Another thing that was mentioned was that this backwards compatibility checks your 360 games, verifies if it is a physical or digital copy and then downloads all of the content to the HDD. This means that for 360 physical discs, it creates a convertable xbox one digital download that downloads to HDD which technically isn't true backwards comptability ( an example of that is Wii/ Wii U/ PS2/ original PS3 models., it's just software emulation. The other problem is getting third party publishers on board with the process , otherwise support of it won't last long, as we saw with the 360 emulating about 40-51% of the original Xbox library in NA ( it was lower in other regions).

Also I really want Rare to come out with more games, and I'd like to see some cool ideas from them in the near future.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

Definitely grab a Wii U especially with all the games its getting this year.  I was equally underwhelmed by the Xbone.  The Rare game wasn't what I wanted, and the rest were all the same properties from before that i'm not interested in anymore like Halo and Gears.

I plan to as soon as i get a job. I want that Mario Maker, Much trolling to be had haha.

i wonder if you can search them or have them in groups? For example, VGCers can get up a way to search for each others projects haha,

Xbox claimed this was their greatest lineup ever, but I wasn't impressed. My likely strategy is buy the Xbox one games over time, and when Xbox one finally gets cheap, pick it up, and ill have games i want already. 

1049-2600-8730