Author Topic: Everdrive?  (Read 1614 times)

Everdrive?
« on: July 14, 2015, 05:27:25 am »
I have been putting some thought into selling my collection and buying all the evetdrives for the systems. Thoughts on why not to? Main reason I collect is for owning some nostalgic pieces of history. It's like every cartridge has a little world in it(weird I know). Also so my kids could play them. But a everdrive I feel would cut it for me. At least enough to consider selling out to get me out of a little debt. Thoughts on the everdrive's?
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

telly

Re: Everdrive?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 08:46:23 am »
It's a tough call. For me personally I would want to be certain that I wouldn't end up selling my games, only to want to own them again. I see that you have a lot of cartridge based games in your collection, and it would be a shame if you sold a lot them/ all of them and then wished you hadn't, because it might be tough to try and buy them all again. That may not be something you're worried about though, especially if you want to get some money in.

You could always buy an everdrive to replace having to buy more games, and just use it to supplement your current collection if that strikes your fancy more. :) I think part of the joy of collecting is actually tracking down games, and so buying an Everdrive that has them all on one cart may diminish that. But again, you might not feel that way!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:48:36 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 09:42:43 am »
I've decided to go for more of a compromise rather than flat out selling my whole collection and substituting it for an Everdrive. I've been selling off games for the NES, SNES, and Genesis that I either did not play or own growing up because I have no attachment to these games since they are not systems I'm super into and while I like many of the games, I do not need to own the single carts of them to enjoy them. My attachment to games I actually played during my childhood goes beyond being able to play them however; I like looking at the cartridge, the manuals and box art like I did when I was a kid, bringing back memories of owning these games back in the day.

So my advice is to sell games you do not have this nostalgic attachment to and keep the ones you do. You'll be a lot less likely to regret selling some of your collection if you do it this way.

aliensstudios

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 01:10:38 pm »
I have been putting some thought into selling my collection and buying all the evetdrives for the systems. Thoughts on why not to? Main reason I collect is for owning some nostalgic pieces of history. It's like every cartridge has a little world in it(weird I know). Also so my kids could play them. But a everdrive I feel would cut it for me. At least enough to consider selling out to get me out of a little debt. Thoughts on the everdrive's?

I have an Everdrive N8 for NES and an EZ Flash for Game Boy Advance, but I still really like to collect games. Me and my brother are big into hacking Tecmo Super Bowl so we ended up getting the Everdrive to put the games on because playing the updated Tecmo Bowl every year on the PC isn't all that great. It's also nice to have every game in my NES collection on the cart so I don't have to switch them out, but for me it feels wrong to put games I don't actually own on it, it makes me feel like I shouldn't be playing them. It's up to you, from what I've experienced the Everdrive works incredibly well for my NES though I can't speak to how well it works for other systems because I haven't tried it. If you need the money, you need the money, but each Everdrive cart is at lead a hundred dollars. I think your decision to sell the games you don't care about is a great compromise.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 02:34:13 am »
Well. I wouldn't out right sell everything. I would keep the scarce, cib,tg-16 and such. I just know I've ran into some medical bills and its gonna be a rough couple of years. Also running out of space.

PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 07:08:45 pm »
I own one of every everdrive.

That said I wouldn't think of selling my collection.

The everdrive is good for three things:

• Convenience
  • experiencing games that I'm unwilling to pay crazy prices for on real hardware.(Little Sampson)
  • hacks, patches, homebrew, translations

But 99% of the time I prefer the real cart. The actual manual. And lately, any strategy guides that may have existed for my favorite games. :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 07:13:38 pm by dashv »

stealthrush

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 08:55:05 pm »
I've bought the Turbo Everdrive 2.0 without USB port and it works like a charm.

The only downside being, not having a exterior case. I keep mine wrapped in bubble wrap nonetheless. I use mine on my PC Engine console. Its really easy to manage the ROMS and load them up. Occasionally some larger games might not load, but you can always restart the console and try again.

Another benefit is being able to conveniently run/play newly translated Hu-Card games using your Turbo Everdrive.

That being said I still buy physical Hu-Card games I really like, usually CIB though eBay. But I admit having the Turbo Everdrive spiked my interest in furthering my PCECD, SuperCD, and ArcadeCD collection much more.