Author Topic: Ninja Gaiden on Master System...What?  (Read 1812 times)

darko

Ninja Gaiden on Master System...What?
« on: February 15, 2012, 08:02:15 pm »
So I'm a pretty big Ninja Gaiden fan and I just found out that there's on on the Master System (live under a rock, I know). It seems to be pretty pricey on ebay complete. Has anyone spent some time with it? How does it compare to the offerings on the NES?

For that matter, what else am I missing on the Master System? I only have R-Type and Shinobi. I've never really messed with the Master System stuff. This has my interest peaked.

jobocan

Re: Ninja Gaiden on Master System...What?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 08:27:26 pm »
Looking at some videos, it seems kinda meh. It looks easier than the NES games, and the music sounds terrible. It doesn't seem bad, but a bit underwhelming. At least it looks better than the arcade version :P

It's a european-only release though, which makes it understandable that it's a bit of an unknown. But, from what I understand, the master system is region free so there's no trouble in buying a copy now.

As for what else you're missing on the Master System... I'm interested to hear that too, since mine barely gets any use (even though I had to repair it since it was broken when I got it).

matt

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 08:29:00 pm »
Never played Ninja Gaiden but I grew up with a Master System and can offer some suggestions. Here are a few of my favs:

1. Wonder Boy III - this is one of my top games of all time
2. Phantasy Star - dated now but if you want an amazing classic RPG, you can't go wrong
3. Alex Kidd in Miracle World - another great platformer
4. Golden Axe Warrior - the best Zelda clone you'll ever play
5. Psycho Fox - great platformer (fun fact is that Decap Attack for Genesis uses the exact same engine with updated graphics)

darko

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 08:43:10 pm »
@jobocan

Hmm...well I don't have a Master System, just the converter for the Genesis. I would imagine that it would play euro games too but I'll have to check it out.

@matt

Thanks for the recs. I've been on the look out for Phantasy Star for a while now (at a decent price). I'll check the others out!

killerchameleon

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 04:22:20 am »
If you looking to just play the game down load an emulator, I know it’s not the same as playing it on the system but it’s not bad.  I’m playing Earth Bound for the first time on a Super Nintendo emulator.  Once you play it and know you want it then the hunt begins, that’s what I do.

psydswipe

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 09:37:12 am »
Most of you probably know the SMS did well in Europe and they got a lot more games than the US did. There are quite a few games that were also on the NES; I'm not sure if Nintendo's third-party contracts didn't exist there as they did in the US, or if the system just outlived them. As someone mentioned Wonder Boy III is a great game. I think Wonder Boy in Monsterland is also a very good game. The system has a fine Shinobi port as well.

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 10:22:52 am »
I like the SMS version of ninja gaiden, its different. And yes it will work in the Genesis converter.

Ninja Gaiden on the PCEngine is where its at though.

jcalder8

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 09:45:31 am »
Ninja Gaiden on the PCEngine is where its at though.

I'm ashamed to say that I didn't even know about a PCE version, I'll have to check it out.

soera

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 05:44:14 pm »

2. Phantasy Star - dated now but if you want an amazing classic RPG, you can't go wrong
4. Golden Axe Warrior - the best Zelda clone you'll ever play

Ive been looking for Golden Axe warrior for years. Phantasy Star is also an amazing game. And SMS is the system I was forced to grow up with and I love it. A couple other games worth mentioning is Miracle Warriors and Golvellius. Ys book1 is also on there but it feels lacking after playing through the Turbo CD version with books 1&2.

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 03:21:38 pm »
Ninja Gaiden on the SMS is essentially the 4th Ninja Gaiden game as it is an entirely new game. The PC Engine one I'm pretty sure is a remake of the original NES one.

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 04:19:11 pm »
Ninja Gaiden on the SMS is essentially the 4th Ninja Gaiden game as it is an entirely new game. The PC Engine one I'm pretty sure is a remake of the original NES one.
Yes the PCE version is a remake of the original. Also has a code to unlock the English text.