Author Topic: New Cartidge-Based Console Coming!  (Read 5831 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

New Cartidge-Based Console Coming!
« on: August 16, 2015, 04:48:13 pm »
This has got me excited. Just saw this video from Gamester81 about the Retro Console.

It's the first brand-new cartridge-based console since the Nintendo 64. According to Gamester81 it will have both re-releases of old games, and new games. New games being both exclusives and games released on other systems via XBox Live, Wii Ware, etc. He claims it will be graphics ranging from 8-bit to PS1. And the games will be physical releases on cartridge. It will even come with a pack-in game!

Here's a link to the console's Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/RETROVGS?fref=ts

Re: New Cartidge-Based Console Coming!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 05:10:50 pm »
I doubt this will ever take off. Retro gamers do not make up enough of a user base to inspire companies to actually make new games for this, especially the time and energy it costs to make a game for a specific console. I doubt this will get more than 10 games before it's fazed out.

dreama1

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 05:18:21 pm »
It'll fail badly. The pack in game looks like a low quality flash game as well.

maximo310

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 05:24:40 pm »
I mean, its a interesting idea, but I don't think sales will be enough for it. It doesn't help that I haven't heard much about the actual games coming out, just the possibilities of porting games to this platform.  I'm going to need more work being done on game quality/variety before I'm even remotely interested. There is a Kickstarter for this coming out in September 14th, so maybe they can actually give us some more details on system/games at that point.

theflea

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 05:40:43 pm »
I hope it does get released. will it become a contender with current consoles... No.
But If it does a kickstarter ya I'll support it and I'll try and get as many games as they release new ones. because god knows how long this console will last. Might become a sought after collectors item later on.
It might be one of those systems that only the diehard retro collectors will by and support and I'll buy one for sure.
It might just be another Ouya, but you might see indy classic games being made for this console. But I don't see this thing being sold in stores and taking off. But ya never know.  :P
"Happy game hunting!!!"

foxhack

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 06:26:35 pm »

Isn't that the Atari Jaguar shape? O_o

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 06:58:12 pm »
if the ouya couldn't take off i'm not sure how this will

abe

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 07:27:23 pm »

Isn't that the Atari Jaguar shape? O_o

Yes it is. They bought the old molds for the Jaguar console shell to use for this new console.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 07:58:34 pm »
if the ouya couldn't take off i'm not sure how this will

I agree.

I suspect the Ouya only enjoyed what little success it had because of its usefulness as a cheap emulator box.

Without a known library of heavy hitter titles available on the cheap day one I really don't see how this can be successful.

That said I'd love to be wrong. I respect the hell out of what they are trying to do, and will probably be right behind the flea to snap one up before they are gone.

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 08:09:12 pm »
Will this thing be an A+ hit and compete?: No

Will this thing be cool for collectors?: Yes

Will it be successful?: That depends. I think everyone working on this knows the OUYA story, I feel like these guys/gals know they aren't going out there to compete with the big boys and their scope isn't as big as you might be imagining. I think this would be cool, depending on KS backer levels I might think about it, I wish I could go back to the days of people making games with limited space or hardware limitations, I feel like that is what made games the best. With modern games and seemingly endless supplies I feel as though games have lost their charm. Everyone has a right to be skeptical but also take this with a grain of salt and realize that where you see shortcomings the developers probably do too.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 11:34:47 pm »
I'm not talking about whether or not it can compete with Xbox One or PS4.

I'm more thinking about whether or not it can survive as even a niche product.

The Retron 5 for example is tremendously popular in spite of multiple problems pre and post launch. That popularity is because of a huge existing library of AAA content.

I just hope enough good software is released for the hardware to have made it worth the effort.

It's too bad the cartridge format couldn't have been something backward compatible with something from the past (SNES, N64, or Jag). Then they could have launched with a back catalog and grown out the library from there.

soera

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 12:52:56 am »
I cant wait to see the kickstarter.

kashell

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 08:25:18 am »
Ambitious...but I see this being more of a pipe dream.

gf78

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 08:51:44 am »
The Retron 5 for example is tremendously popular in spite of multiple problems pre and post launch. That popularity is because of a huge existing library of AAA content.

^^This.

The Retron consoles are successful because they have an instant library of classic games.  Ouya managed to attract at least a few Final Fantasy titles, but it wasn't enough.  This system is different because it's a cartridge-based console, but I don't know how successful they will be releasing games "up to PS1 graphics" when a PS1 or N64 can be had for about $40.  Not to mention the Retron.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

haloofthesun

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 02:30:03 pm »
I mean it would be nice to have physical versions of XBL Arcade and Wii Ware games, but the question of course is "Will there actually end up being any?". I've heard about this console before and everyone had the same exact questions, usually revolving around what games there are actually going to be. None of them seem to have been answered yet, but maybe that will come with the Kickstarter.