Author Topic: New Cartidge-Based Console Coming!  (Read 5832 times)

tafk

PRO Supporter

Re: New Cartidge-Based Console Coming!
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 02:53:55 pm »
I mean it would be nice to have physical versions of XBL Arcade and Wii Ware games, but the question of course is "Will there actually end up being any?". I've heard about this console before and everyone had the same exact questions, usually revolving around what games there are actually going to be. None of them seem to have been answered yet, but maybe that will come with the Kickstarter.

If this served as a system for which those games could be released physically that would be amazing. I've been thinking about dropping ~$200 on wiiware games I'm afraid might be gone forever in a year or two, really hope I don't have to do that...

gf78

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 08:48:17 am »
If this served as a system for which those games could be released physically that would be amazing. I've been thinking about dropping ~$200 on wiiware games I'm afraid might be gone forever in a year or two, really hope I don't have to do that...

Aside from the aspect that you don't actually own anything, ^^ this is the major reason I won't buy digital-only titles.  Whenever Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo or whoever decides they don't want to have it on their servers...POOF they are gone!

Consoles aren't like PC's where there are sites that archive these old games, files, etc.  And I don't see them changing to be that way anytime soon nor have any of these companies stated they were going to do something to ensure digital purchases remain viable for years to come.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 07:54:02 pm »
Adapters will also be available to be able to play your classic cartridges on the Retro VGS in addition to the original games!

OUTSTANDING!

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2015/09/02/retro-vgs-console-adds-classic-cartridge-adapters/165526/

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 11:39:59 pm »
Adapters will also be available to be able to play your classic cartridges on the Retro VGS in addition to the original games!

OUTSTANDING!

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2015/09/02/retro-vgs-console-adds-classic-cartridge-adapters/165526/

"They announced that thanks to the use of cartridge adapters, players will be able to play new and homebrew games for at least the Atari 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision, and NES."

And with that simple announcement they just scored my backing.

We've needed new kit for colecovision for a long time. Bonus the DB9 controller connectors should allow us to play these using the original controllers.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 12:17:57 am by dashv »

abe

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2015, 10:56:30 am »
I hope they have an adapter for the Famicom as well, not just the NES. Probably not too likely though. :( I actually kinda want one of these now.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2015, 11:16:05 am »
I hope they have an adapter for the Famicom as well, not just the NES. Probably not too likely though. :( I actually kinda want one of these now.

Nothing about the Famicom specifically, but there is more coming down the pipeline from this hint from the article. So if it's something people say they want, I don't see why it couldn't be done.

Quote from: Article
16-bit gaming is a possibility, but wasn’t announced since there aren’t cores available to make those games playable just yet.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2015, 01:40:39 pm »

Chances are a regular Famicom adapter plugged into the Nintendo adapter would work :).

abe

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2015, 11:19:42 pm »

Chances are a regular Famicom adapter plugged into the Nintendo adapter would work :).

I was hoping that they'd make their own as a cheaper alternative to buying one of those Famicom to NES converters.

spac316

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2015, 01:04:16 am »
I'm intrigued by this system and hope it makes prophet.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2015, 01:26:55 am »

maximo310

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2015, 02:35:17 am »
The Kickstarter is now live:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/retro-vgs
Wow, it's 2 million to fund their goal?! Good luck to those guys; they're gonna need it for this.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2015, 03:58:43 am »
So I'm backimg it at $350.

But yeah, 2 million is insane. And there is no way the hardware will deliver by Nov. :P
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 02:35:56 pm by dashv »

abe

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2015, 06:20:49 am »
Nope, 2 million won't happen.

I was really hoping that they'd only use the Jaguar console shell, but it looks like they just had to use the same ugly cartridge shells too. :-\

It's cool that some of NGDevteam's stuff is making it to the console, but all of their stuff was always available in a physical format anyway (as far as I'm aware), so it's not really a big deal. Wayforward showing interest in the console is kinda cool. It would be nice to have more Shantae games in physical format.

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2015, 12:53:59 pm »
Wish they had put this on Kickstarter. They'd probably do a bit better if they had a prototype, too. They're being really optimistic on the shipping dates.

soera

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2015, 01:07:37 pm »
I was waiting for the kickstarter. Now that Ive seen it, Im probably going to pass on this. While an interesting concept, its just too costly. Maybe if the library gets some awesome titles, I will change my mind but I cant see anything coming out on this system that is going to make it worth the money and/or being better than something on the PS4.