Author Topic: New Cartidge-Based Console Coming!  (Read 5829 times)

kashell

Re: New Cartidge-Based Console Coming!
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2015, 11:36:00 am »
"Having to download and install system updates or game patches robs us of time we want to spend playing. Some updates even rob our systems of functionality or the ability to play our favorite games. Making games depend on network servers robs us of the game temporarily when our network connection goes down, and forever when the server is decommissioned."

Sheesh, a little over dramatic.

Their goal is insanely high and that is probably one of the most long-winded spiels I've ever read. They have ambition; I'll give them that. I won't be giving them any money, though.

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2015, 12:30:33 pm »
At this rate there is no way that this will be funded and even if it does it will likely get no more than 5-games before it goes belly up, and that is being generous. Great idea, but it's in no way practical.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2015, 05:02:50 pm »
I'm about right there with you guys. But I'm really saddened by it, too. I really wanted this to succeed. I love the concept of it. But a $2,000,000 goal is pretty crazy.

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2015, 05:30:46 pm »
Geez, I had to check this out, but man, 2 million ain't happening.  300 bucks is also super expensive for the system.  It's a nifty idea, but I think their plans are far too lofty and are expecting far too much for a system that costs nearly as much a modern systems, but they only show it playing simple indie games.  They probably need bigger indie games to show up on it cause I had never heard of any of those.  If it was like Shovel Knight or other big indies like that, they might've had a better hook.

*EDIT*
Apparently Gunlord is some old Neo Geo game? Still, I think it's stuff most people do not recognize and don't have a lot of hype for drawing people in.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 05:34:00 pm by kamikazekeeg »

abe

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2015, 09:57:39 pm »
Geez, I had to check this out, but man, 2 million ain't happening.  300 bucks is also super expensive for the system.  It's a nifty idea, but I think their plans are far too lofty and are expecting far too much for a system that costs nearly as much a modern systems, but they only show it playing simple indie games.  They probably need bigger indie games to show up on it cause I had never heard of any of those.  If it was like Shovel Knight or other big indies like that, they might've had a better hook.

*EDIT*
Apparently Gunlord is some old Neo Geo game? Still, I think it's stuff most people do not recognize and don't have a lot of hype for drawing people in.

Gunlord isn't old, it's from 2012. It also released on the Dreamcast a few months later in the same year.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2015, 11:06:45 pm »

*EDIT*

Gunlord isn't old, it's from 2012. It also released on the Dreamcast a few months later in the same year.

Oh, I read it wrong then.  It's release on the Dreamcast and something else made me think it was an old game.

gf78

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2015, 01:20:52 pm »
$2 million goal ensures this is dead-in-the-water.  There are some good ideas, but IMO the execution is flawed.  I also hate the Atari Jaguar shape.  That system was an ugly turd.  Pick any of the "retro" systems available now that play old carts and they all look better than this heinous beast. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2015, 04:47:56 pm »
So according to their Facebook posts, they have officially pulled it from IndieGoGo.

They said they are going to take fan's advice into account, implement that into the console, make a working prototype, then try again on Kickstarter.

They need 3 things for this to work:

1. Lower the price. A solid-state console that doesn't go online and doesn't have updates or online gaming shouldn't cost the same as a modern console that does do all those things.

2. Have a working prototype. Nobody is gonna invest in a console that they can't see anything on. That sizzle reel they showed us was all PC or some online network version of those games.

3. Give us some exclusives. The most important thing about a console are the games. If I can get all these games on Steam or XBox Live, then why should I buy this console?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 06:12:29 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2015, 06:09:39 pm »
Might wanna change the title of this thread to include the word "not" between "console" and "coming" ;)

soera

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2015, 01:13:57 am »
If thats the case, then I look forward to round 2.

gf78

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2015, 02:15:20 pm »
$300 for a retro console is ridiculous.  Especially with no proven games on it or any kind of exclusive to speak of.  Even in today's market with over-inflated prices for retro consoles, I could pick up a set of complete & working NES, SNES, N64, Master System, Genesis and Saturn systems for $300!  Or, y'know....get a Retron 5 which also plays import games for $150.  For those "not-in-the-know" about the Retron 5, it plays Game Boy/Color/Advance, NES, SNES, Master System, Genesis, Famicom and Super Famicom games with the ability to download translation patches so your import games run in English.  It also has ports to accept two NES, SNES or Genesis controllers with support for those systems multitaps.

If I want something to play Android games on, I already own a Nexus Player with controller that only cost $150 for the pair and can probably be had even cheaper now. 

When I really look at it, this system is ill-conceived from the get-go.  The Retron benefits from using existing game cartridges from legacy systems.  There is no need for developers/publishers to release new carts for it.  Given how expensive cartridges are to manufacture, I don't see small indie developers making games for this thing in the day & age when everything has moved away from solid-state cartridges to disc-based media or variations of SD-cards.  Not to mention the push for more and more new content to be released digital-distribution-only. 

Yeah...this will never take off.  Guaranteed.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2015, 02:24:34 pm »
^ Never take off, guaranteed?

It was fantastic idea, just executed poorly.

If it wasn't so expensive, and they had a working prototype, a LOT of retro gamers would get it. Plenty of people have played their retro games to death, but still love that style. They want new retro-styled games. And there's already a million and one ways to play your retro carts out there.

Plenty of YouTubers had videos about it before the failed IndieGoGo launched, so obviously there was some buzz and excitement about it.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 02:26:26 pm by burningdoom »

gf78

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2015, 02:33:23 pm »
^ Never take off, guaranteed?

Yeah, you can quote me on it.  If I'm wrong, you can choose my avatar for a month or something. 

1:  A retro console for $100 would be a good start, $150 like the Retron 5 tops.

2:  I don't care what anyone says, manufacturing cartridges is comparatively expensive compared to optical media, hence why N64 games were always priced higher than PS1 or Saturn games.  You are not going to convince indie developers-the people who make retro games these days-to invest in the manufacturing of cartridges.  It's just not gonna happen.

3:  The vast majority of gamers today want to play modern games.  That's why PS4 and to a lesser extend-Xbox One are so popular.  Those who still enjoy 8-bit style titles buy old cartridges for their old but still functioning consoles.  These guys trying to make this console are chasing a fanbase that isn't large enough in any way to support what they are trying to accomplish.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2015, 03:47:58 pm »
Not popular enough?  :o

The retro gaming scene has EXPLODED in popularity in the last 5 years or so. Thanks to things like Angry Video Game Nerd, Classic Game Room, eBay and others. That's why you've seen so many console clones, retro gaming t-shirts, and YouTube reviewers out there. That's why our hobby is getting more and more expensive. Retro gaming is popular enough to support a console.

It's not as popular as Xbox and PS4, yeah. But I don't think they were ever planning on gaining that kind of numbers, or they wouldn't have been using the IndieGoGo format at all. They are marketing to that retro gaming crowd I was just talking about. Not the mainstream gamers.

And indie-developers already to invest in cartridges. Check out games like Battle Kid, Pier Solar, and Legend of Zelda: Parallel Worlds.

The console failed because it was executed poorly, not because the idea was bad. It's just a bad idea to start a crowdfunding campaign without any solid hardware to guarantee them. And $300 is far too much for a console of that nature.

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2015, 04:17:46 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPn7r3tg8I8

May I suggest this for everyone viewing pleasure on the matter? As much as I want it to succeed I don't think the market is big enough or does the thought of making games on cartridges again warrant this. From a business standpoint its hard enough on indies already.