Author Topic: Play-Asia experiences  (Read 1780 times)

Play-Asia experiences
« on: August 19, 2015, 05:48:52 pm »
I was wondering if anyone here has ever done business with Play-Asia, specifically to buy imports? Thinking about buying a few things from them and wanted to see what other people's experiences with them have been like.

Re: Play-Asia experiences
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 06:54:28 pm »
I bought a white GameCube controller through them late 2013. I made my payment and after a week of them not shipping it I check the original item listing and it said out-of-stock, but they were restocking. It wasn't listed as out-of-stock when I placed my order, nor did they ever emailed me that they ran out. There was no way to cancel my order. I was locked in. About four months later I received my order. I originally paid for expedited shipping which of course was now negated by the fact that it basically took 3.5 months for them to restock.

I probably should have complained but I'm just a scrub.

argyle

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 07:09:24 pm »
I've ordered from them once or twice this year alone with no issues. That said, I've started cross-price checking against Amazon & Ebay sellers and often you can get the same game in the same condition for cheaper from one of those.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

thewelshman

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 07:13:04 pm »
I've had great experience with them. Only once did I have to wait on a restock. Everything else has been on time whether it was a pre-order or had been out for some time. I can say you'll need to wait about a week before it gets to you unless you pay more for shipping.

I've bought

Final Fantasy X-2 HD Remaster (Asia, No Region Protection)
Rune Factory Oceans (Europe, No Region Protection)
Atelier Bundle Vol. 1 (Europe, No Region Protection) - Arland Trilogy
Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland (US, No Region Protection)
Valkyria Chronicles II (PSP Essentials) (Europe, No Region Protection)
Genkai Totsuki Moero Chronicle (Chinese & English Sub) (Asia, No Region Protection)
Short Peace: Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day (Europe, No Region Protection)
Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines (English) (Asia, No Region Protection)
Steins;Gate (Europe, No Region Protection)
Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment (Chinese & English Sub)

I had a few others, but that's all that's listed anymore.

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 07:47:22 pm »
I've bought a few DS games from there in the past and they've been good each time.

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 09:02:24 pm »
I've made at least a dozen purchases over the years (JP and Asia imports), not a single bad experience. Great customer service as well, and their descriptions are accurate for distinguishing version differences.

GrooDWanderer

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 10:40:23 pm »
I've bought a couple of Japanese and EU versions of games from there. Everything was great but the "Free shipping" took forever. Prices are a bit on the high side and they don't seem to go down very often even for older games.
As dangerous as a stampede of cattle...and almost as smart.

abe

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 10:59:50 pm »
Their prices aren't the best for some stuff that's been out for a while, but their sales can be pretty good. I've gotten both Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA and Project DIVA 2nd in addition to many other PSP games during a couple of their big sales. As for their service, I've had absolutely no issues the three orders I've made with them in the last year. They do a good job packing the products and some times they even thrown in $5 off coupons for your next order (if you buy enough to qualify).
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

maximo310

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 12:07:37 am »
I find that the prices on Play Asia depend on the stuff you're looking for. In my experience, they usually don't have items that I'm looking for in stock or their pricing is a bit high for those items. It's part of the reason why I switched to Solaris Japan, since I found their pricing to be a lot better for importing shmups.

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 03:49:48 am »
I've had great experiences with them. However, they no longer offer free worldwide shipping. You will get a $5 discount voucher per parcel.
In terms of prices, better wait for sales - especially Japanese imports (sometimes with deep discounts). You can watch out for their weekly specials too.

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 07:49:57 pm »
Ive deal with them for 10 years, never had issue. But I found recently that the prices are really high compare to other website selling import. Still, they have weekly and daily sales that are sometime interesting.

Retro ARCADE games news, review and gameplay Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrltRbkb_z9yUZvypUdWo8A

Twitter; https://twitter.com/NGCDManiac