Author Topic: Do you support homebrew/repros or are you against it completely?  (Read 5377 times)

theflea

Re: Do you support homebrew/repros or are you against it completely?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2015, 06:05:02 pm »
Homebrews I'm all for it. I love when people make new games for the old classics.

Repro's - Yes and no. Yes if it's a Prototype that was never released or something like NWC90 and the cart looks NOTHING like the original. But where I get upset is games like Flintstones 2, Stadium Events or Little Samson and the game looks exactly like an original. I see these pop up on Ebay and idiots want a stupid amount of money for a Reproduction.
Then there's losers who try and sell a repro as an original that are nothing but scammers in my opinion.
Also I have no issue with English translations of Japanese games.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 04:36:53 am by theflea »
"Happy game hunting!!!"

aliensstudios

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2015, 06:38:15 pm »
I support it. I own a repro or two (all of translated games and the like) and I don't mind home-brews if the quality is good.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 08:47:01 pm by aliensstudios »
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

soera

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2015, 08:48:56 pm »
I am one of those collectors that doesnt care for the value of anything. I would support any repro of any game I want if I can afford it.

thecrypticodor

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2015, 11:13:26 pm »
If by Homebrew you mean completely new games made by enthusiasts who would have a problem with that? I've purchased Thrust and Stay Frosty 2 off of Atariage and they're incredible.

As for reproductions as long as the consumer isn't being duped into thinking it's genuine the only party that should care are the companies who own the intellectual property. Since they are not producing these games themselves or at the very least not in the format that people want them in they really only have themselves to blame for for all this counterfeiting and bootlegging.

Some of the SNES/SFC repros/bootlegs or whatever you wanna call them coming out of China are starting to get pretty damn convincing. Also since their cases are directly molded off the original carts their fake PCB's are interchangeable with official cases. So any jerk without even the slightest bit of knowledge of how to make a repro could just have a new reproduction label made up slap it on a real cartridge and make a Madden into a fake Earthbound and the only way to tell would be to open the cartridge. If I were buying $100-$200+ games I'd be a bit nervous.

A fake $30 Lufia 2 bootleg next to a legit game

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2015, 06:17:03 pm »
Reproductions for the reason to trick or defraud is shameful. Reproductions for your own person I see no issue. Home brew is awesome.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2015, 11:28:48 pm »
Homebrew games: Hell Yes!
Repros of games never released: Yes I do
Repros of hacked versions of existing games: Yes
Repros of games that never got a English release: yes
Repros of games available in all regions: Nope

^ this ^

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2015, 02:23:18 pm »
Do you support homebrew? Yes.

repros? Depends. Repros of unreleased games or language hacks are great. Repros of released games need to be clearly marked (different color cart or the text REPRO plastered across the back or something). I personally would not buy a repro of a released game.

Do you own any? Yes. Homebrew: Halo 2600 (Atari 2600), Incoming (Atari 2600)  Repro (unreleased): The Last Starfighter (Atari 800XL)

Do you consider it legit in your eyes? That depends on what you are referring to when you say "legit." I think these games should be cataloged for what they are - homebrews are homebrews, repros are repros. These carts are by no means official releases and should not be marked that way.

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2015, 11:02:18 pm »
I totally support homebrew for older console, I love to have brand new retro games for my older console. I own 5 homebrew game on Dreamcast (Last Hope, Fast Striker, Gunlord, NEO XYX and Sturmwind), and Ive supported the Kickstarter of Pier Solar (I should finally receive my copie this month) and Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs.

For repro, I only support if its a game that was never release in my area (North America) and translated. I own a translated Fire Emblem episode on SNES and plan to eventually buy more RPG never release in NA on SNES.

Retro ARCADE games news, review and gameplay Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrltRbkb_z9yUZvypUdWo8A

Twitter; https://twitter.com/NGCDManiac

spac316

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2015, 05:07:58 pm »
I support Homebrews wholeheartedly. If people want to make there own game for classic hardware, by all means go for it. I own a couple Homebrew NES games myself.

Repros are a touchy subject. I actually would support them as long as they are not passed off as the original and the seller would not try to rip you off as such.
I would like to see them as cheaper alternatives to all the rare games that are WAY to expensive for their own good. But they should be in different colors and have the word Repro somewhere on it. They're also good for physical versions of fan-translated games that weren't released outside Japan.
So in short, as long as they don't get abused, I can support Repros.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 01:45:31 pm by spac316 »

Warmsignal

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2015, 01:59:06 am »
Yes I do. I've been thinking of buying a few repros lately. There are some games I'd like to have, but as a rule now I'm not gonna spend $100 on a single cart, or anything even more absurd probably ever again. Frankly I'm tired of all the pricing bubbling and dollar value means very little to me. It's not why I do this. The value in my games is mostly sentimental, be them new, or old.

Homebrews, admittedly I don't know much about, probably better that I don't follow that market as my attention span and funds are already spread thin enough. Some of the fan translations of famicom / super famicom games are interesting.

gf78

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2015, 01:34:42 pm »
Homebrew, of course.  They hurt nobody as it's not bootlegs or illegal copies of games.  They are after all, new games.

Repro?  Depends.  I cannot stand someone trying to pass a reproduction off as an original.  But fan translated games that were never released in all territories?  Definitely cool with that!  Secret of Mana was a great SNES game.  From what I hear, 2 & 3 were great too but many gamers wouldn't know because they never saw a release stateside! 

With the repro carts of these games, translated into English plus the ability to have a system like the Retron 5 load translation patches to play the Japanese originals-it's a fantastic time to finally be able to experience a classic(s) that the publisher never felt like we should get to play for whatever reason.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

soera

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2015, 02:57:45 pm »
I wish I could find a repro version of Magic Knight Rayearth so that I can play it again without spending $300 on a copy. :(

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2015, 04:39:01 pm »
I wish I could find a repro version of Magic Knight Rayearth so that I can play it again without spending $300 on a copy. :(

Emulate it.

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2015, 08:47:03 pm »

Emulate it.
Emulating Saturn games is rather difficult.

maximo310

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2015, 08:54:18 pm »

Emulate it.
Emulating Saturn games is rather difficult.
Use SSF; that's the best Saturn emulator that's currently available.